Tivo and Direcway DW6000 problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jahern, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Jul 3, 2004 #1 of 156
    jahern

jahern New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    I had Tivo SEries 2 working perfectly with Direcway internet using their old 4000-series USB modems and ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)on a Windwos XP PC. I upgraded (hah!) to a DW6000 modem which is also a router and just has a LAN (ethernet port), which I run into a switch. Tivo talks to my LAN fine - I can publish pictures and music, it show a MAC address on setup, etc. But when I test the connection, it says "Negotiation Failed" It must be in the router, because I'm going through the same Direcway satellite, NOC (Network Operation Center) etc. Direcway is no help. Anyone have a cure? Please? :)
    Jud

2. Jul 9, 2004 #2 of 156
    gfkjr

gfkjr New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Brookland, AR
    I have the same problem, as do all people with DW6000. Do a search for Direcway to see everyone else. As for as I know this problem has no solution and doesn't look like anyone cares about fixing it. Since I have no other internet options I have to use Dway for broadband. I have to keep a home phone just so Tivo can make 1 call a day. Now that's stupid to pay $40 a month for a phone for Tivo to get guide data when I could get it for free with DSL/Cable.

3. Jul 10, 2004 #3 of 156
    jahern

jahern New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    To save space, a single thanks to ALL those who have replied and may yet reply to my post about the DW6000 and Tivo. The consensus seems to be: No Go. Unfortunately, most people with DW are a "captive audience;" it's our only semi-high-speed option, so DW doesn't give a #$%&. "We're the phone company - we don't care - we don't have too!"

As I recall, I was billed a one-time $100 for Home Media Option, so I got screwed there, too, since there is nothing to cancel now that it has been made worthless, unless it works with dial-up, and I recall it doesn't.

Again, thanks; misery loves company. ;-)

Jud

4. Jul 12, 2004 #4 of 156
    csyria

csyria New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Why don't you go back through the computer and leave it all connected like before?

5. Jul 12, 2004 #5 of 156
    FatherTed

FatherTed Not Registered

Sep 13, 2003
    Have you tried www.copperhead.cc ? It's a site specifically dedicated to overcoming problems with DirecWay. Back when I had it I found the site to be very useful.

6. Jul 12, 2004 #6 of 156
    jahern

jahern New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    As to why I don't go to the old setup: you send in your old modem pair for $100 credit on the DW6000. And although I suppose it's possible to use ICS with the DW6000, it defeats the main purpose for getting the DW6000 (it's the router, not my PC, which always had to be on for anyone to use the network), and, in any event, I think the "trap" is in the DW6000 itself, so adding ICS to the mix wouldn't help (I don't think).

To the other reply - thanks for the copperhead tip. I went ahead and "donated" $25 just to get satspeed. I had about $60 in Paypal I was trying to zero out, so if it doesn't do much, I'm not too worried. But I'll report back here as to my success with it...

7. Dec 7, 2004 #7 of 156
    lynnguist

lynnguist Motorcyclist

Dec 7, 2004
    Arizona
    Hi all,

Thanks for the good information here, I wish I had seen it before. I spent several hours on the phone today with TIVO then with Direcway. Direcway was no help at all, insisting that is a TIVO or DirecTV problem. They had no one that I could talk to that even understood networking (I was guessing that the problem was with the modem itself) so they could not help. Then I found this thread.

So, as of today Dec. 7th, we still cannot download our TIVO info thru the Internet with the DW6000 modem. A costly problem for us because we have three Series 2's and the long distance calls we have to make to keep them updated will run about $40-$45 per month.

8. Dec 14, 2004 #8 of 156
    eibgrad

eibgrad New Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Hmm..., to be honest, I know NOTHING about this modem/router, BUT, I'm very familiar w/ networking. If I understand the problem correctly, the Tivo is able to establish itself on the network w/ IP, DNS, etc. (btw, gets config info from where, the router?), can process music and photos, only problem occurs when there's any attempt to access internet.

Just looking at this broadly, that would make me think that there is some basic incompatibility (bug) between Tivo and this specific device. It would also make think that the way around it would be to make sure these two devices NEVER talk directly to one another. IOW, if your current config is (assuming "A" is your Tivo, "B" is your modem/router):

"A" <--> "B"

then why not introduce a middleman, logically:

"A" <--> "C" <--> "B"

IOW, assuming some device "C" can communicate w/ "A" and "B", then presumably you could circumvent the problem, correct?

For example, what would happen if you simply introduced a second router for the Tivo, so that it was the second *router* that had to interface directly w/ the Direcway modem/router, and not the Tivo itself?! Your Tivo would essentially be running on a different subnet, with its own DHCP server, NAT, firewall, etc. Then that router would pump traffic down to the Direcway modem/router. What I'm getting at here is, the second upstream router uses NAT, which *changes* the IP stream to some extent, perhaps enough to prevent whatever is causing the *incompatibility* to never reach the Direcway modem/router.

I'm being very general here, because I'm really not familiar w/ the Direcway setup. But that's the kind of solution I would be attempting. I'd be trying to find a way to make sure the Tivo never talks directly w/ the Direcway modem/router. Unless there's just something in the Tivo network stream that always gets passed down and leads to this problem, you would think an upstream router would mask the presence of the Tivo and circumvent the problem.

Not sure that's much help, but all I can provide given what little I know or understand of the problem.

Good luck...

eibgrad

9. Dec 14, 2004 #9 of 156
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Starband has no DL caps (DWay stilll does right?) and has different mdoems and such....
    Try using a cheap dial-in isp with a local # and the BB DL through ICS. Then you also have a back-up connection.

10. Dec 26, 2004 #10 of 156
    cowgirl

cowgirl New Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Texas

I'm having the same DirecWay 6000 / Tivo issue. I am currently using a netgear wireless router (set for b & g access). Along with a D-Link USB wireless adapter (from the approved Tivo adapter list). I have set the router with a different subnet than the DirecWay 6000. And have configured my wireless laptop and the wireless USB adapters with static IP addresses within the new subnet. The wireless laptop connects to the internet fine as well as my wired desktop. However the wireless USB adapter connected to the Tivo will not work. It's connected to and can be seen be the LAN. I can see it in the router config, and can ping it from the laptop or desktop, it just will not make a connection to the internet. "Negotiation Fails" every time.

I would think my setup: (DirecWay 6000 -> Netgear Router -> Tivo w/ USB Adapter, would be equivalent to what you are describing above, but it still doesn't work.

Has anyone found or heard of a solution for this yet?????? :confused:

11. Jan 6, 2005 #11 of 156
    msulewski

msulewski New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Kosse, TX
    I talked to the Tech Support team from Skycasters, and they said that there is no port blocking in the DW6000. The ports that Tivo say they use are TCP 2190, UDP 2190, and TCP 8080-8089. When I told Skycasters senior support personnel about the fact that the TIVO has no problem on the DW4000 or DW4020, the only thing they said is different between the 4020 and 6000, is that the DW6000 forces an MTU of 1460. They said that Direcway has decided that 1460 is optimum for Sat internet, and so their proxy will expand MTU packets less than 1460 to that size, and compress larger ones. That is why they suggest that any device that works through the internet have it's MTU setting at 1460. Perhaps if there is a way to force the TIVO to use an MTU of 1460, it might just work.

12. Jan 6, 2005 #12 of 156
    glenc2004

glenc2004 New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    San...
    I know nothing about DW but I ran into this problem using a PC based
    firewall. It would not negotiate with the servers. I found out the firewall by default filters packets and since TiVo seems to use a non-standard HTTP packet size, the firewall was dropping the packet. Hence it would not communicate. If you upgraded or switched modems you may want to look into this. Sorry I can't be much help. I just know I spent months trying to figure this out and I found the solution here. Don't remember the message though.

Glen

13. Jan 6, 2005 #13 of 156
    glenc2004

glenc2004 New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    San...
    Since at this point and time I am unable to post the URL to the message.

The message I was talking about is located in "TiVo Help Center" and the title of the thread is "Networking via Winroute FW 5".

There Steve Heflin discusses what he found out about the http packets and the protocol inspector. I don't know if DW has any type of FW built-in. But it gives you a starting point.

Glen

14. Jan 6, 2005 #14 of 156
    msulewski

msulewski New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Kosse, TX
    Glen

The product you talk about is for use with the DW 4000 modem, which uses the local PC to route packet traffic. The DW 4020's, and the DW 6000's have built in routing ability, which on the DW6000, is the problem.

15. Jan 6, 2005 #15 of 156
    glenc2004

glenc2004 New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    San...
    Do you use any sort of Firewall in your network? Or does the DW6000 have a firewall built-in? That's what I was referring to. Many firewalls, pc based or hardware will do some sort of packet inspection. Just something I thought you guys should check into. Good luck!

Glen

16. Jan 7, 2005 #16 of 156
    ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    Could one of the DirecWay 6000 owners please try this out? A smaller MTU can be forced by sticking a router between the TiVo DVR and the DirecWay 6000 with the router configured with an MTU of 1460. If someone with a TiVo DVR, router, and DirecWay 6000 can test and confirm that that works, I'm sure there'll be a lot of happy DW6000 owners.

17. Jan 7, 2005 #17 of 156
    jahern

jahern New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm the SOB who started this thread. :) Thanks for all the noggins working on it. I would try changing the MTU, if I knew how.

My Direcway connects to a Linksys wired switch (EZXS88W), with one line going to the Tivo (and I'm zipping photos and music across to it fine with Tivo Server). Another line goes to a wireless access point (Linksys) WAP54G. I can't seem to get to any configuration screens for either of these to set the MTU, although I'm supposed to be able to browse to it at 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.1..245, depending on what I look at.

If anyone knows how I can set the MTU (presumable on the wired switch?), let me know and I'll try it. The default is 1492, in honor of Chris Columbus, I guess. :)

Jud

18. Jan 7, 2005 #18 of 156
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    In my BEFSX41, I click on advanced, and then filters is selected. There, the MTU can be set manually. Mine is auto, eveything work CC cable.

19. Jan 7, 2005 #19 of 156
    Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    I have this exact setup, with a Linksys BEFW11S4, and see the MTU is settable under 'Filters'. Will give it a try and report back.

See also my post, before I found this thread, here

The DW6000 uses something called a "Turbo Cache" which requires at least IE to use a "proxy". Could someone look at my post and educate me/us?

20. Jan 7, 2005 #20 of 156
    ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    Can you telnet to port 80 at, say, www.tivo.com?