TiVo and DirectTV back to making DVRs together

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ZeoTiVo, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1 of 37
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

TiVo and DirectTV back to making DVRs together

or just read it in this forum ;)

2. Sep 3, 2008 #2 of 37
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Maybe this is Earl's secret project.

3. Sep 3, 2008 #3 of 37
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    nah. I'm sure Earl is punching holes in walls today.

4. Sep 3, 2008 #4 of 37
    20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    You have to wonder what kind of day a DirecTV DVR+ platform developer is having today.

Yes, the PR says that DTV will offer both platforms to new and existing subscribers. It's going to be interesting to now hear the other side speak of the merits of having both systems, when just a while ago only one made sense to them.

As a consumer, DirecTV is once again an option for me. Thank you Chase Carey.

5. Sep 3, 2008 #5 of 37
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT

Advertisements

This is good news. I wonder if it will allow for things like the ol' transfer of programs to a PC, MRV, etc.

I know this will bring a few DTV folks back to the TiVo service.

Great work!

6. Sep 3, 2008 #6 of 37
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    And based upon how my cable card experience has been, it will bring some Tivo folks over to DTV.

7. Sep 3, 2008 #7 of 37
    vdubuclet

vdubuclet New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Dallas
    It's been so long since I been here that I had to reset my password. Can't wait to get my dual live buffers back. Happy day

8. Sep 3, 2008 #8 of 37
    nathanziarek

nathanziarek New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    This is just smart business for DirecTV.

While I think CableCard is a pretty lousy technology so far, it will, long term, make cable a better product. DirecTV needs to fight that, and I think working with an established, DVR-only company to develop the technology for other hardware to integrate into your system is a brilliant move. I'd imagine the USB box (HDPC20 or something like that) was another step in this direction.

D* just won me back. I imagine there will be lots from this board like me.

9. Sep 3, 2008 #9 of 37
    osborn4

osborn4 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Sorry. Didn't see this thread when I started the other.

This just popped up on engadget.

Hell freezes over, new DirecTV HD TiVo on the way

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's good to see it happen, but it's probably not going to win me back. It might let them be an option at some point in the future again should I find reason to leave Comcast. But things work well; the price is significantly better than DirecTV; Internet and phone service is included; and I have all the HD channels I have any interest in, except for 2 minor ones and I fully expect we'll have them before a new DVR could come from DirecTV anyway. Heck, Verizon FIOS should be in my neighborhood before DirecTV will have a new DVR, so they'd have to compete with that option as well.

11. Bodie

Bodie Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Honolulu
    Even though Dtv sent me quite the offer yesterday (4 mos of *everything* free, free hookup and free HD DVR), I've got to agree with Doug on this one.

12. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    CableCards should win out, but it when a product depends on support from 100's (taking a guess here) of companies versus just one, the average level of support will be worse. Especially when cc users make up such a small user base (and that's not necessarily going to change for awhile), the motivation for training and just plain competence isn't there. Right now cablecards are a crap shoot depending on where you live and what providers are available. When it's bad it is bad.

13. wedenton

wedenton Member

Jun 12, 2002
    I will switch to Direct immediately IF TiVoToGo and Multiroom Viewing are part of the deal. While I will put up with Direct's HD Lite I won't settle for TiVo Lite.

14. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    DirectTV moving away from Tivo and the HDLite that was being transmitted pushed me to Fios. I can't see going back. I think this is great though. I've got friends that like their DirectTV Tivos that were wondering where to go and this could be their answer.

15. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    So why is it going to take almost a year to get this "new" DVR out of the door? Seems like with what Direct and TiVo already are doing they should be able to part this together in less time than that.

16. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Wow. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised but it just goes to show everyone how fast technology and businesses can change.

I'm still running two Series 2 DirecTivos and a really old Series 1 DirecTivo but have moved onto Vista Media Center along with Media Center Extenders for all my primary OTA HD viewing.

I'll be watching this closely though and would love a Directv / Tivo HD DVR.

17. Tivoli

Tivoli Member

Jan 23, 2002
    This is great news! It is good to have options and DTV is going to back in the list of options for me :up::up::up:

18. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Don't look a gift TiVo in the mouth. :D

19. JohnTivo

JohnTivo Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Carlsbad, CA
    Wow, it's been awhile since I've posted here. I used to check this site multiple times a day before I switched out my DirecTivo's for DirecTV's version of a dvr.

I am so happy to hear that DirecTV is bringing back a HD capable TIVO! I can't wait... though I do like the VOD feature on the DirecTV boxes. Hopefully that will find its way into the new box.

20. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    We're retiring to our motor home in about two years. I was planning on going to Dish because their user interface gets good reviews. But, with a Tivo-based HD Directv, I know where I'm going! It's a no-brainer. Every time Directv sends me a notice saying "Come on back! We miss you!" I throw it in the trash, muttering, "Give me a Tivo interface and I will come back.".

Good job Directv!