Tivo and direct connect to cable line

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by HollywoodRDFL, Nov 26, 2008.

1. HollywoodRDFL

HollywoodRDFL New Member

Jul 17, 2004

Advertisements

sorry if this has been posted I did a search...

I just moved into a building that doesn't allow directv so I'm stuck with cable which I hate cause its much more expensive with fewer channels... anyway I have a cable line that I plugged directly to my HDTV and I can receive a couple of channels in HD including ABC, FOX, NBC and CBS. If I was to buy a new tivo box would I be able to record and use Tivo with its normal functionality without ordering a cable box through time warner?

The channels are different plugging the cable line directly to the TV
    ex: Fox instead of Channel 5 its ch. 103-2
    ABC instead of Ch. 7 its channel 1-7

please advice... thanks

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    If you get the tivo HD and all you are concerned with OTA channels you don't need anything, but if you want digital cable chanels you will need cable cards.

3. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    You could record those HD channels manually, but to have full Tivo functionality you would need cable cards.

4. HollywoodRDFL

HollywoodRDFL New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    thanks for the replies...

so lets say I wanted to record something on channel 92-33 and not order a cable card, the only way would be to setup a manual record (which I can deal with), but would tivo pickup those channels like my TV did when I just did a scan which picked up all the national channels and like 10 cable channels...

5. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

Advertisements

All the cable cards do is decrypt the digital cable signal.

6. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    If the tv can get it the tivo should also.

7. HollywoodRDFL

HollywoodRDFL New Member

Jul 17, 2004
    ok... thanks for clearing that up... Happy Thanksgiving

8. ToddNeedsTiVo

ToddNeedsTiVo Shampoo is not toxic

Sep 1, 2003
    Ankeny, IA
    Not only that, they allow the TiVo to assign guide data to the QAM channels. This gets into the whole "QAM mapping" issue discussed in great detail elsewhere on the site.

Many people have cable service that gives them their local broadcast signals in unencrypted "clear" QAM, but on some goofy 103-2 type of channel. If you were using an antenna, you'd be able to have guide data for that channel, but there is no way to tell the TiVo "take the guide data for such & such OTA channel (like your channel 5) and use that information for 103-2 on my cable."