Tivo and Comcast - not worth it anymore?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by domes, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1 of 11
    domes

domes New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    I have a Tivo HD and have been a Comcast customer for years. Can't get internet from anywhere else. Recently upgraded from basic cable to the digital starter package as I have had a multi-turner card for a couple of years. Was told on more than one occasion I would get HD channels when upgrading but I wasn't told about the additional $9 a month charge! Called back as I don't get the HD channels and was told I won't get them until I agree to pay the monthly charge.

With a Tivo box being $100, then a monthly Tivo service at $19.99, monthly tuner card fee and then the Comcast HD charge, I would be paying $30+ a month to record HD shows? Seems crazy and a rip!

Any one else stuck with paying this $9 a month HD charge from Comcast on top of any cable package?

2. Feb 7, 2012 #2 of 11
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Yep. But, this should merely replace the fee you would have paid for Comcast equipment. If you have a digital package with a box included, you should either not have a fee or have an offsetting credit of the fee. Comcast is slowly killing analog service, so it is the cost of doing business with them.

Your $100 is a sunk cost, it is out of the picture. Where you will save over cable is on lifetime service. It is a few bucks, but is sooo worth it. No more fees and you can sell it for a much higher amount if you move/upgrade.

3. Feb 7, 2012 #3 of 11
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you expect the cable company to "upgrade" what they provide you without "upgrading" your monthly bill from them as well?

4. Feb 7, 2012 #4 of 11
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Everyone with HD channels

5. Feb 7, 2012 #5 of 11
    domes

domes New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    I am more aggravated at Comcast than Tivo. Its the way they handled it. The fee should be disclosed up front when signing up. Multiple customer service reps stating HD channels are included as part of the package when it is not is wrong. If the $9 fee will also get me a digital only box for another TV, maybe that is worth it.

6. Feb 7, 2012 #6 of 11
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    Try calling another car and seeing if they will take the charge off. Sometimes you hit the jackpot. Another option is to go all in and just get triple play. If you already have intervention and digital TV then its a few bucks more (perhaps less than you pay the telco?) And hd seems free with that. (At least in my area)

7. Feb 7, 2012 #7 of 11
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No HD charge here with our local Comcast franchise but we only have 2 TiVo Series 3 with CableCards (4) on 1 TV with Digital Preferred package. We do have a $1.75 charge each for 3 of the CableCards as the first one is free.

Our latest rate sheet does show a $9.25 HD Technology Fee - Primary Outlet. Also telling is that there is also a $9.25 HD Additional Outlet Service (includes Digital Converter with HDTV capabilities) so at least for us, this fee does appear to be related to using Comcast's HD equipment (Your Local Franchise Mileage May Vary).

Scott

8. Feb 7, 2012 #8 of 11
    CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    No HD charge here.

I have two TiVo HD units each with one CableCARD and no Comcast boxes.

First TiVo HD = No charge for CC
    Second TiVo HD = $8 Digital Additional Outlet Fee, No Charge for CC
    Credit for Customer Owned Equipment = $2.50 x 2

I was under the impression that the HD charge only applied if you had Comcast equipment, but I may be wrong since they've never been very consistent about how they charge TiVo users.

9. Feb 8, 2012 #9 of 11
    takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Nope -- I'm paying a $10 a month HD Technology Fee. ;) But I do have a Comcast HD box.

I have lifetime on my Tivo and pay the HD fee but, regardless, worth is always highly subjective -- you gotta do what works for you. Does it really matter to you if others find it worthwhile or not?

10. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Several years ago when I first upgraded to Tivo S3, I had to deal with Comcast for 2 cable cards. They first set me up with the "HD package" for an extra $10 per month, but I called and insisted I wanted ONLY the "free" HD channels and I wanted to keep my service at "expanded basic" level so that I didn't need to pay for either the "digital tier" or the "hd package".

After several calls for this, they finally gave me what I was asking for, and nothing more. I got the expanded basics, channels 2-99, plus HD versions of only my local channels. This worked fine for a few years, until Comcast did away with all analog channels.

Now, I'm getting many HD channels (maybe 20?) and many, many digital channels, but I'm still just paying for "expanded basic" and all 3 of my cable cards are $0 per month. I'm not sure if this is even possible anymore, but I'm pretty happy with my bill and I'm not going to ask about it.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm getting more HD channels than I should, though I know there are still more I'm NOT getting. I'm probably also getting more SD channels than I should, but honestly, almost all of my viewing is on about 20 channels total anyway.

Bottom line, I'd call back and ask which channels you can get in HD without the HD package and insist they give you only those. I *think* it's still required that local channels be given in HD if available.

11. JulienPDX77

JulienPDX77 New Member

Jan 13, 2012
    To the original poster; it all depends on your local market. I am in Portland and we don't have an HD fee unless you require one of their pieces of hardware to receive the HD signal. (A box) Even then, the fee is eventually being phased out as all of our locals broacast in digital already. The fee is/was originally assessed to cover the cost of converting the signal from analog to digital.
    With an M-Card and your own hardware; there is no reason for them to charge an HD fee unless not all channels in your local market are being broadcast in HD/Digital

I am on the "digital starter" package; and i also subscribe to their tier 2 high-speed internet.
    My total bill from them is around 85/month. (29.99 *until next year* for TV, 1.99 for the M-Card ; and around 50 for Internet)

In my local market; Digital Starter includes everything in that package.

The HD feeds of the stations are automatically included if I have hardware on my account that can decode those signals. (M-cards are in the same "tier" as using their actual STBs; but dont' cost the extra 6-10 bucks a month). They don't charge for the HD channels unless I'm renting a set-top box from them; even then, that fee is frequently waved during promotions and from what I understand; it will eventually be phased out as the providers of stations are (for the most part) already broadcasting in a format that isn't requiring any special conversion on Comcast's end; thereby eliminating the need for the fee.