Tivo and Cablevision (NJ) optimum online

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by KJW, Jul 29, 2005.

1. KJW

KJW Member

Sep 27, 2003

Advertisements

Well, screwed again by my cable company. Last night they deleted GSN from their analog service, meaning I need to upgrade to digital if I want to keep watching the Amazing Race.

Anyway, does Tivo work wel with the cablevision digital boxes? Do they have serial ports so the Tivo can talk directly to the box to change channels? Any particular unit I should ask for? Any other pitfalls to watchout for?

Thanks.

2. VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    TiVos (at least Series 2's - that's all I've got) work great with Cablevision's standard digital cable box - the Scientific Atlanta SA4200. You've still got to use the IR Blaster (Code 0018-Fast, 3 digit channel numbers followed by an Enter) but they're pretty reliable. I don't think I've missed a channel change in a long time. If you get a chance to wander through the box's setup menu be sure to turn on the option that tells the box to power on when it sees remote activity. That way if they box powers off for any reason (power outages, etc) the next time your TiVo tries to change the channel the box will power on and work correctly.

3. KJW

KJW Member

Sep 27, 2003
    excellent tips, thanks. But what does "Code 0018-Fast, 3 digit channel numbers followed by an Enter" mean?

4. Xtremerocker183

Xtremerocker183 New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Its how you set up the cable box, I have the same one.

Code 0018- Fast is the code that you should select in guided setup to work the best with the cable box.
    3 numbers followed by enter tells tivo how digits it has to put in and that it has to press enter. This is all done in guided setup, but Im sure you can do it through the regular menus.
    Good Luck!

5. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004

Advertisements

hate to resurrect a thread just to hijack it but this is one of the answeres I was looking for...and before i call a csr figure i would get some info first

I have cablevision analog cable with optonline and I want to go to digital with HD...

Is the box suggested an HD box?
    Does anyone know what HD box you can get? (will I need the IR blaster? hope not)
    Are there any special setups on the tivo that have to take place?
    Like my tv has an hdmi input already does the cable box plug right into this?
    - If so where does the tivo come into play???
    If someone already has a setup like this would you mind describing how its setup from the cable coming out of the wall...and maybe what I would need to get that the cable company doesnt provide? thanks in advance

edit: and how is the digital service from cablevision? I would go for the gold which should include everything, yes no?

6. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The TiVo does not do HD.

What you should do is get two cable boxes -- one HD, one SD. Split the cable that comes out of the wall. Run one leg into the HD cable box and then into the HDTV on one input. Run the other leg of the split into the SD cable box, then into the TiVo, and then into another input on your TV. You'd then have to build an IR fort so that the signals from one box don't mess with the other box.

The only thing that you'd need (that the cable company doesn't provide) is a cable splitter. I got a bi-directional amplified splitter from Radio Shack for about $35. And, of course, the TiVo. :)

This is exactly the setup I have and it works great. I have iO digital from Cablevision, with the gold package. It's great.

7. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    While searching the cablevision knowledge base i found some "funny" tivo items...

Does Cablevision offer TiVO service?

Pretty much the answer...."A special offer was extended beginning in November 1, 2005 through December 31, 2005 to a select group of prospective customers. For offer details, or order fulfillment please refer to your direct mail package."
    What special offer, was anyone offered?

What is the difference between TiVo and DVR?

Pretty much the answer..."Both TiVo and DVR offer customers the ability to record and pause live TV. The iO DVR service is available to all iO customers. A customer may choose to purchase a TiVO system at a local electronics retailer. TiVo is not associated with iO digital cable service. See TiVo.com for further details."
    More trying to avoid answering the question then an actual answer buuut...

8. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004

thanks for the answers...so i would need my current cable box and the new HD one...that bites...i would need that for 2 more tvs in my house......

the HD box doesnt have an sd output as well as the hd output? not sure how that would work anyway

9. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm still relatively new to Cablevision Land and the SA boxes. Any idea where this option is? I only missed one show due to a power outage (box was powered, but off at recording time) and this would've been handy. I have to say that I have yet to have an incorrect channel change with the SA 4200HD box.

10. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It does, but like you said, I'm really not sure how that would work. Once you get it all set up, it's not that bad.

11. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Press "Settings" on your remote. Then press "Settings" again. Scroll down (actually up, it's quicker) to "Set: Power-On Keys" and set that to "Power and Numeric."

It works well.

12. JDHutt25

JDHutt25 Active Member

Dec 27, 2004
    I've got a standard cable box hooked up to the Tivo and a cable card for HD. Works pretty well for me, although on occassion the cable card craps out for a few, when that happens I lose a few channels, but still get the networks in HD.

13. smickola

smickola New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    I've got the 4200HD box, but rather than getting two boxes and splitting, I just use the different inputs on the TV. I use the S-Video in to the Tivo, and record/watch Tivo on that TV input. When I want to watch HD, I switch to the Component 1 input. I usually wind up recording from the HD channels (700 series channels) in case I watch live. It's frustrating watching HD broadacasts, and then not having the HD when I watch Tivo..can't wait for Series 3!

14. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Unless I'm mistaken, though, this doens't allow you to watch one thing while recording something else. If the TiVo is using the SD outputs of the HD box, then the box is busy, and you can't watch something else, right?

15. smickola

smickola New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Right...have a second Tivo downstairs with the same setup to deal with that.

16. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    My understanding is using HDMI on a SciAtl cable box diabled the S-video at least, so you will need another box for the TiVo.

As far as non IR (AKA serial), only certain SD Motorola boxes offered that option, as well as a good deal of DirecTV receivers (no dish).

17. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    ok so i think im gonna try it out...but not before i ask some more questions...

i called cablevision and they say that someone will come to the house to set up the boxes, i said i can do it only because its easier for me to go to a walkin store n swap the boxes...then they say that someone will come to set up the modem for the voip phone service...isnt that just plugging the modem in and then plugging the phone into the modem?

i really dont want someone coming in and screwing around with my whole ent. center or my modem for that matter...but im also concerned about what is "allowed"....if someone does come in (or if anyone had a cable rep go to your house) what do they look for?

I know they use to check for routers, cuz they didnt allow networking
    I think they use to check for tv's receiving cable without cable boxes, cuz they didnt allow splitting the cable lines going into the house...is that true?
    I think if they look for anything it would be rft converters and illegal descramblers right?

18. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    No, its way more complicated than that. Besides hooking up the SBV 5120 cable modem, they hook your whole phone system into the VOIP network. They also check to make sure you are getting a dial tone on all phones, have the correct signal level strength, and activate the modem for VOIP service. This isn't a biasic Vonage setup, its way more complicated than that.

19. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm able to watch one "live" show while my TiVo is recording another live show. I just have the cable line split, one end goes into the SA box which then goes into the TiVo and the other end goes into the cable line in on the TV. This allows me to use my TV's analog tuner to watch something on analog cable while the TiVo is recording something via the digital cable box. It works very well. I even once had it split three ways where the third was going into a VCR.

20. Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Speaking from professional experience (AKA I work for said company) you are allowed to have a router. You are also allowed to use splitters to as many TV's as you want. As long as you're not stealing service w/ a descrambler you should have no issues.

As for the modem, a professional installation is required for the VoIP service. You can just instruct the tech to put the modem on a table, plug a phone into it and then leave. He'll be happy to do that. At that point you can do whatever wiring you want in your house.

I hope this helps! :)