Tivo and Bing ?? survey

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by smbaker, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1 of 12
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Just received some silly Tivo survey today that seemed to be focused on a partnership between Bing and Tivo. Apparently there is some Bing integration on the Premiere I'm unaware of? Wouldn't use it even if I was aware of it.

At least there was a comment box at the end of the survey where I could say "FINISH THE HDUI".

Just curious what others thought of Tivo and Search integration... I don't see it as a useful feature at all. Search has just never been convenient on the television.

2. Aug 5, 2011 #2 of 12
    daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    I use the Tivo Search from time to time - If I need to ID an actor or whatever from a show I am viewing it's pretty easy, but so is searching on a handheld device without interrupting the show. I think it is best for looking for a movie or show to steam or download to TiVo and then start watching. However, I'm not going to go downstairs and turn on the TV just to look something up.

3. Aug 5, 2011 #3 of 12
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  4. Aug 5, 2011 #4 of 12
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I use the TiVo search constantly, but I don't know how Bing would tie in.

5. Aug 5, 2011 #5 of 12
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I don't see a need to search on TV beyond what they have as far as looking up actors and things like that. Even that is fairly basic and my little Wii at least has a web browser which I would prefer to Tivo mucking up the Premier worse than it already is. I'm never going to buy their silly Slide remote anyway so it's just as easy to fire up the Wii, pick up my smart phone, laptop, or (gasp) walk to a PC to do a search.

6. Aug 5, 2011 #6 of 12
    smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Well I frown on the marketing of incomplete DVRs.... so I guess we're even.

7. Aug 5, 2011 #7 of 12
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I agree, but that doesn't directly answer my question. I was just wondering if TiVo sends different surveys to their "TiVo Advisors".

8. Aug 5, 2011 #8 of 12
    innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yes they do.

9. Aug 9, 2011 #9 of 12
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Is it a different survey or is it a single survey that branches dependent on response? Hm. I didn't see the Bing reference in mine.

10. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    No idea on that one. I just remember the 4 tuner survey and people getting asked to vote on different options. It may branch, but I didn't see any option to branch in mine.

11. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    The one I received was fairly focused on a bunch of non-Tivo stuff. "Do you use the web to read news", "do you regularly update your social networking", etc. After the barrage of non-Tivo/non-Television questions, it devolved into the Bing-fest.

Now, I am one who visits all three major news networks' websites regularly, uses a lot of search engines (except Bing), and generally spends a lot of time doing online research. Perhaps someone is doing some cookie tracking and targeted the survey to me.

The only Tivo-specific question I recall was something that asked me to allocate "points" to what Tivo should work on next. The categories were so incredibly generic and poorly worded, that any issue that I'm concerned about could have easily fit into multiple categories.

12. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Maybe they are going to integrate FaceBook into TiVo. Like in the XBox's so you can "search for stuff relevant to friends", etc. Microsoft owns part of FaceBook for those unaware.