TiVo and BBC Freesat

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Pessable, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Pessable

Pessable New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Midlands

Advertisements

I don't suppose that there's any chance that TiVo will return to the UK with an offering to support the new BBC/ITV Freesat service, is there? It seems like an opportunity to me for TiVo to re-open the UK market with a dual satellite HD tuner model with all the other bells and whistles (income opportunities) that exist in the USA.

People I know think Sky+ is good until I show them TiVo, but even I have both because of the HD and dual tuner capability (and the picture quality is just inherently better when you can record the signals in their original compressed digital form).

So come on TiVo, get your heads together with BBC and ITV and really give Murdoch something to worry about.

2. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Without a direct deal with Sky or VM, tivo can't produce a UK tivo supporting HD on either.

Best solution we can hope for is that the australian tivo needs no modification for use in the UK (DVB / Freeeview in the UK and AUS are similar), then its a "simple" matter of persuading tivo UK to allow AUS originated Tivos to download UK EPG data.

3. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I think the OP's point is that Sky and VM co-operation is not needed for a PVR that merely receives the BBC Freesat lineup (or for that matter the Freeview lineup).

However in the short to medium term BBC Freesat definitely won't be able to receive Five, Five US and Five Life and may or may not be able to receive C4, E4 and More4 when first launched. With that being so I can't see any chance of major Freesat takeoff short term. The point of launching it now is to pressurise C4 and Five to definitely move to FTA on satellite (initial launch costs of Freesat are not very big as all the equipment exists anyhow and its only a re-branding exercise for cheap FTA satellite boxes with no possibility of decrypting Sky or any other encoded channels) and only as and when C4 and Five finally make their channels FTA will there be any point in making a big fuss about Freesat. Up to that point Mr and Mrs Average will remain unconvinced it is a viable solution.

As to Tivo coming back to the UK if Freesat was a good enough reason to do so then they would already be here with an S3 Freeview box.

Unfortunately Tivo is reliant on subscription income for its EPG and Freeview has decided that people who want a cheap product without a sub like Freeview or Freesat are hardly going to be prepared to pay Tivo £120 a year or whatever for an EPG subscription.

Tivo have now focused their efforts elsewhere on Australia and China so for the time being there is no hope at all of them coming back to the UK. Also like it or not as time goes by the difference between Tivo and other PVRs and web based watch again tv will get smaller so the chances of Tivo diminishing become ever less. Sad but true..............

And don't forget that Windows MCE that is basically almost as good as a Freeview or Freesat Tivo but does not charge a monthly subscription for its EPG.

4. Pessable

Pessable New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Midlands
    The new BBC/ITV Freesat service http://www.freesat.co.uk/home.php(due for launch in Spring 2008, although I appreciate that the date has been put back previously) will use their own or an "open" EPG won't it? In which case it would be perfectly reasonable for TiVo to produce a compatible box - they're doing most of the work to produce the listings anyway.

I wasn't aware of the AUS TiVo so I'm off to have a Google.

5. Pessable

Pessable New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Midlands

Advertisements

I've never really played with MCE - is it really that close to TiVo? I kind of assumed that anything based on Windows wouldn't be reliable.

6. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Then why haven't they already done so for the much stronger and better established Freeview marketplace with Freeview boxes now in over 8 million UK homes and with the benefits of timeshifting on the smaller Freeview channel range being even more obvious.

Answer because Tivo's EPG service is subscription revenue funded and Freeview box owners are in general tightwads who don't want to pay a monthly subscription.

7. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    Even with freesat you need a sky cam to decode CH4 CH5 and the other offerings, sky won't let anyone use the cam (Anticompetative IMO). Sky will not let another company use the cam, so no hardware with tivo sw will come our way.

We all know that we now have software cam's for sky that will run on linux in a dreambox (Valid sky card required) but updates to the card may not happen, and it is unsupported by sky.

8. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Longstanding forum members iankb and TCM2007 both use it and generally seem to prefer it to Tivo. Its only main issue is it can't handle encrypted Sky channels (at least not legally and without cumbersome regular manual intervention) and can't handle recording from Freeview and Freesat on a single box even though you can have 2 or more Freeview or Freesat tuners on a single Windows MCE box.

Season Pass and Wishlist handling seems to be as good as Tivo so the only other major deficiency compared to Tivo is no Suggestions feature.

9. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Although that will be solved if and when C4 and Five go FTA as they probably will in due course. Obviously C4 appear to be actively planning in that direction given that more recently re-launched Film4 changed from subscription to fully FTA instead of just to FTV as C4 is.

On the other hand at least all Five channels are FTV and so free to watch for Sky Freesat box owners on Sky Freesat whereas you have to pay a subscription to watch E4 and More4 on satellite but not on Freeview.

10. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    Although I've never tried it, I believe that MCE can control Sky digiboxes with IR wands, in the same way as TiVo does. However, you would need a video-capture card, and video-capture has a much-higher CPU-loading than using built-in Freeview tuners.

As you state, what MCE can't do is mix two different sources, since it can only use one EPG at a time.

11. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    Sorry????

My current MCE machine handles any sky channel???

Uses the svideo input on the PC input card, that goes off to the sky box, the USB remote uses wands (like tivo) to control the sky box.

Full EPG and "season passes" that remembers (rather than sky+) works just fine, best of all its functions, upgrades, and guide data including all season passes are free. The graphical interface is much better (even better with vista mce than xp), and imo is clever when it comes to conflicts as it tells you either on the planner, or via the taskbar if you are using the PC.

You could also use two sky boxes and two of the same input cards to work a dual tuner recorder with sky.

With reference to reliability, it is fine for me, no problems at all. People who have not tried it, have a go, it does not require a intensive pc at all, my MCE freeview unit was on a old single p4 with 500mb of ram. It does not require starting up, and all runs in the background, even the recording.

12. mdolan

mdolan Guest

Jun 4, 2002
    Dundee
    Suggestions *feature*? <clears throat>Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha <*cough*> <*boink*>.

I'm sorry, I appear to have coughed up my lungs.

Suggestions have been borken for months and Tivo have done nothing about it (e.g. offering and recording shedloads of Radio Channels, "Sign Off", "To Be Announced"). I'm hard pressed to think of the last time I was offered a relevant suggestion.

Cheers,
    Mike

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Working ok here and not recording any of the types of program you mention.

May be you have lately left Suggestions turned off assuming it is still broken or may be you have a corrupted database and need to do a Clear and Delete everything.

14. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    No problems here either - although when I purchased TiVo I set 'SIGN OFF' and 'To be announced' to :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: - although it shouldn't make any difference

15. JudyB

JudyB New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Suggestions work for us too. The only recent error we have had was in messing up correcting the listings for the channels we receive - it recorded an hour of "This channel is not included in your subscription..." for us yesterday. However, that was clearly user error (mine).

16. mesaka

mesaka travelling member

Sep 27, 2002
    There is even a nascent suggestions program for MCE - MyTV Genie. I have been using it with freeview from SKy but it is not as reliable as my TiVo suggestions (which work well).

Using both I am still more impressed with TiVo. However, it is getting closer. i still am hopeful (= sitting with fingers crossed) that the Nero deal will allow us to mix both - i.e use MCE infrastructure with several types of inputs and use the TiVo interface.....

17. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I think that would be Freesat From Sky.;):p

And which Nero deal would that be exactly? More information on this would be very interesting.

18. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Keep up at the back. Nero have licensed TiVo's software to use on a PC.

19. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    But only in countries where they plan on future marketing efforts no doubt. So no hope here then.............:mad::thumbsdown:

20. Raisltin Majere

Raisltin Majere The 96 YNWA

Mar 12, 2004
    Devon
    I do recall mention of it on here, but only a brief one.

First result on a google news search gives http://www.tmcnet.com/ce/articles/17220-nero-signs-agreement-with-tivo.htm

Haven't read it but did notice “This agreement provides TiVo with an opportunity to deliver its interface and differentiated feature set globally via the PC, enabling TiVo to use all avenues of mass distribution, from consumer electronics, to cable and satellite boxes and soon, the PC.” (emphasis mine)

Of course "globally" could mean as in across the globe or as in across all technologies -shrug-