Tivo and amazon unbox... what a total joke

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by molex, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1 of 38
    molex

molex New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    OK, so after a week of jumping through hoops I finally got my series 2 Tivo hooked up and working with unbox. What a waste of time and money that was. The first movie took a svelte TWELVE HOURS to download. OK, fine I thought, I have a slow network, I'll just download at night.

Next download? "Not enough room on tivo." I had 6 hours of recordings on a 40 hour tivo box. I didn't know that The Departed was 34+ hours long. What a great movie it must be, I won't know because I won't be wasting any more time with unbox and Tivo. It would literally take less time for me to WALK to the video store and WORK long enough to rent the video from my wages.

Pass. This technology is a joke and shouldn't be released to the public if it's not ready to be used. And amazon unbox? Wow, they have movies about skinning a deer but none of the new releases I actually want to see. I only tried to download Departed because it's the only movie I could find that isn't 20 years old or an instructional video.

PASS. This service is crap.

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 38
    ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    First post Huh ? :rolleyes:

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 38
    molex

molex New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Yep. But I bet by the time I reach 66 I'll be a Tivo master, right?

My frustration is un-knowable. It took way too much work to get this setup, and now it doesn't work right.. or at all actually as far as I can tell.

So you'll have to excuse me for not having the wisdom to spend hours more fighting with my Tivo and Amazon so I can rent B movies from 10 years ago by waiting all night for them to download.

4. Aug 4, 2007 #4 of 38
    jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    Damn, dude! That sucks! That's dang sure not how it's suppose to work.

I can understand how you could be frustrated after all that, but if you could just bear with me for a few moments, I'd like to find out just why you're having such bad performance with unbox.

What kind of internet service do you have?
    DSL?
    DSL Lite?
    Cable Modem service?
    High tier cable modem service?
    Who's your internet provider?
    Where are you located?

Is it a wired connection?
    Is it wireless? If so, is it 802.11b? 802.11g? 802.11n?

Are you behind a NAT router?

What is your default recording quality?

Maybe if we can find out just what's happening we can help others to avoid the problems you have.

A bit of background info can go a long way!

Thanks!

5. Aug 4, 2007 #5 of 38
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I haven't looked that thoroughly, but it seems to me they have a lot of new movies... I just rented "Ghost rider" and "The pursuit of happyness", for example. Not sure what movies you're looking for. But the Amazon page for Unbox leaves a lot to be desired IMO, it's not fun to navigate and find movies there.

Movies for rent: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dv_hp_M...f_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=302576901&pf_rd_i=16261631

I've rented several movies and am happy with the service and the download speed. Something's definitely not working right for you, unfortunately.

6. Aug 4, 2007 #6 of 38
    personalensign

personalensign New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    molex, your problems are self-owned. Unbox on Tivo is wonderful.

7. Aug 4, 2007 #7 of 38
    molex

molex New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Thanks for the reply jmoak. I can outline my setup:

What kind of internet service do you have?
    DSL? Yes
    DSL Lite? No
    Who's your internet provider? SBC Global
    Where are you located? San Francisco Bay Area

Is it a wired connection? No, wireless using Tivo wireless G USB adapter

Are you behind a NAT router? Behind a router, but don't know what a NAT router is.

What is your default recording quality? Best.

I suspect the wireless router situation is a large part of the download speed problem. Does my quality setting make a difference with movies? I thought they downloaded at a pre-determined setting based on the quality of the movie file itself.

Thanks for any help. Sorry for the frustrated RANT that started this.

8. Aug 4, 2007 #8 of 38
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I have DSL as well and while it's not very fast it only takes a few hours to download an unbox film. The wireless should not be the problem as there will be more bandwidth there than on the DSL line (assuming the signal is not really poor).

Look out for any other stuff using your bandwidth. Does you use bit torrent or anything similar? If you do it will be killing the download performance. Another one that catches me occasionally, I see a slow download on my S3 and realize one or more of my other TiVo's are also downloading TiVocast stuff or something.

The download quality is set by Amazon. TiVo does a calculation on any recording it makes and assesses whether it will have space for the recording. The things that affect this are the todo list and the current recordings, particularly those set as save until I delete. TiVo calculates how long recordings are kept and a couple of saved films that have been around a long while seem to impact the calculation very negatively. Do you get warning about recording deleing early when you set new recordings? If you do then the TiVo is considering the space available to be limited.

I'm not sure how NAT affects download performance - I'd be interested in how from anyone who can advise as I have a NAT router.

9. Aug 4, 2007 #9 of 38
    bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    Your default recording quality at Best is the reason the second movie couldn't be downloaded. If you have a 40 hour Tivo, recording at Best only gives you about 12 hours of recording, IIRC. If you already have six shows on the Tivo, then you probably are at your limit.

Also, are the recordings set at Keep Until I Delete? If so, that will further restrict your recording capacity, especially if you have SP's with KUID.

Your 12 hour downloading time is definitely not the norm. My downloading time is about 50% of the length of the movie/show, and most people I've heard of have downloads between 50% and 100% of show length.

10. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I agree, not sure how you live with 40 hours but you obviously don't watch the tube like me. I use the lowest record setting for most sruff and raise it to high if I plan to burn it to DVD.

That be my $00.02

11. molex

molex New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Golly, thanks for the help! Now realize that because something is wonderful for YOU doesn't mean it works wonderfully for everyone. There's a whole world beyond your TV, and other people do live in it and have different experiences than you. Thanks anyways.

12. molex

molex New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Thanks to everyone so far who's actually provided some help and answers. I did finally get Departed to start downloading again, in the past 3.5 hours it's downloaded 26 minutes of the film. Wow. I can't imagine what the problem is. My Mac is on the same network and it blazes. Whatever. I don't have the patience or knowledge to diagnose my obvious network issue. I just won't use unbox very often I guess. Not worth the wait.

13. MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    [Fearing to step into this thread ... but can't help by try to assist]

Molex,

You mentioned that you're using the TiVo Wireless G for your TiVo. My question to you is, are you using any *other* wireless devices on the network? And if so, are they 802.11b? The reason I ask is .. if you are mixing G and B on the same network.. you will be slowing down to "b" speeds, and possibly even slower. That's just one thing to consider.

Also, just to reiterate about the space issue. A "40 hour TiVo" is measured if all recordings are done at the lowest quality. If you go into your System Information menu, you should get a break down of how much time you have for each recording quality. *Personally* I would drop in an additional 200-400Gig drive right off the bat.

Obviously, I can see how you wouldn't want to spend more $$ if you're not happy right now. But given the relatively low cost of HD space .. having the freedom to hold onto whatever amount of programming you want seems like a no-brainer to me.

Keep in mind, for the most part here.. people are friendly and are happy to spend some time to help you sort out your problem with Unbox/Tivo. What you are describing seems abnormal and probably the group here can find some way to help you out.

14. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Even at, say, only 5MBit/sec (less than half of 11b speed) it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to download a normal length movie.

Of course, DSL speeds can vary enormously, so the problem COULD be with the Internet connection. If you only had 0.5MBit, you'd be looking at a really, really slow download. The basic SBC DSL is only 768 kB/s downspeed.

15. MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000

I agree with you completely.. my guess would be something else using up the bandwidth.. (which I would recommend a speedtest next) .. but I wanted to start somewhere and know what we were working with.

16. TiVoCrastinator

TiVoCrastinator I'll watch it later.

Jul 30, 2006
    Lewiston, Idaho
    I also am reluctant to throw my hat into this conversation, as I have no technological suggestions for how to fix the OP's situation. However, I won't be using Unbox anymore because of the 24 hour limit on viewing downloaded material, and not being able to see the extra features or captions that renting a DVD allows.

I have more than enough TV to watch thanks to TiVo, but if I want to watch a movie, it's a better deal for me to go to the video store to rent some current release for .99c from RedBox and keep it as long as I want. Also, as a backup plan, I have a 2 movie per month subscription to NetFlix, so I can get older movies that might not be available at the video store. Again, with NetFlix, I can keep the movie for as long as I want. Unbox doesn't fit my lifestyle.

17. MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Please note .. I'm not an advocate for Unbox .. I don't even use it (though I've helped a family member with it) .. that being said.. the statement above looked slightly incorrect and I didn't want someone new reading this thread to be misled.

If you "rent" a movie via Unbox, you can leave it on your TiVo for 30days (untouched). The 24hr issue is once you *start* watching it, you have 24hrs to finish.

That being said, I completely understand that your preference might be some other method .. like Netflix .. Personally, I was really hoping for that possible deal with Netflix + Tivo to go through.. I would have definitely become a Netflix subscriber .. and also upgraded to a Series 2 platform to facilitate it. But hey.. sometimes these things don't work out.

That being said .. some people don't care for the extra features of the DVDs .. are perfectly satisfied with the quality of the picture ... and don't want to pay a recurring monthly charge. For those who see a $.99 rental every now and again that they like. Its a great service.

My self.. I'm enjoying a 4week trial for Blockbuster .. probably will use that for 1 more month... then maybe a 2week trial with Netflix... and by then the fall season will have started and my TiVos will be filled again.

-MirclMax

18. tgmii

tgmii Member

Feb 21, 2002
    New Jersey
    if you have multiple devices on the network and if some of them use addresses you assigned (ie, not DHCP assigned), you might have two devices trying to use the same address.

Only thing that comes to mind.

Good luck... problems like that can be frustrating.

Tom

19. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    you do realize the 24 hours is only after you've begun watching right? You can keep it 30 days before it delete's itsself if you haven't watched part of it.

IMO, if you can't start and finish a movie in a 24 hour period, you have "special circumstances" that the vast majority of us don't have.

20. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME