TiVo and accepting input from camera

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by volp14, Mar 15, 2011.

1. volp14

volp14 New Member

Mar 15, 2011

Advertisements

I have a friend who wants to have a camera provide live video feed into his TiVo box. He owns a gymnastics academy and would like to be able to record certain gymnasts, and then play them back on a TV in the common area. Is there a way to connect a camera to a TiVo box, record the video, and then play it back? I am not very well versed in TiVo (neither is he) so we appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks.

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    After doing a search of this forum I found this thread:

Use TiVo with camera for coaching?

It gives you exactly what you need. Best of luck to you. If you still have questions after reading that, please post back.

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I believe to actually save recordings, the TiVo would need to have a subscription. I think it depends on which model of TiVo you'd be using.

4. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Thanks for that, I think the thread I linked made that clear, but if not, I am glad you did. I should have been clear about that in my post.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Only the older Tivo Series 1 and 2 will it be able to let you connect a camera via the Video/Audio inputs because the use of the cable box outputs to V/A. They can be set for a cable box or a satellite box to be able to receive the camera inputs.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm putting this here as much for future searchers as for you.

About 5 years ago I got a Series 1 stand-alone TiVo (a Philips, but I'm sure the Sony S1 SA will do exactly the same).

I discovered that if I had an active audio/video source connected to the line inputs I could tune to channel 1 or channel 0 and there it would be, and I think I remember being able to manually record, but I don't think I could set up a future manual recording for channel 1 or 0, because they weren't in the channel list, although I think if I lied to guided setup about having satellite service as well as cable it would give me a "Channel 1" (along with a zillion other satellite channels I had to delete to keep the guide from bloating).

I suggested to TiVo that they needed to create a "dummy" satellite service that ony offered those two channels as a way to enable it, but for some reason they were insufficiently moved by my brilliance to carry through.

Tuning to 1 or 0 on my S2 SA DT just dumps me to channel 2.

Haven't tried the satellite lie with it yet.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Very decisive, very helpful.

8. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I think that the best way to go to record from a camera is to buy a Toshiba DVD recorder with basic subscription on Ebay for about $50 or $75. I dn't know why they are so cheap, but they are. (probably because most people want to network their Tivo with their computer so the 'basic sub' is lacking n that direction)
    I bought two Toshibas DVR/DVD Tivos with basic lifetime subscription for $30 on craigslist!
    The Toshibas have RCA inputs on the front and an option from the menu to record from camera. Something that the other standard Series 2 Tivos don't have.

9. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    The Humax DRT800 Tivos have a firewire port built into them. Firewire is very friendly with many video cameras.

TC

10. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Well, I finally played around with a Dual Tuner Series 2. I have had quite a few of them around for a while, but none had lifetime service, so only watched a couple of shows that happened to be already recorded on them from the prior owners. (I got them for free or bought them used off of craigslist or from thrift stores before I knew better as far as their lack of value.)

Thanks for the info as far as using the 'zero' channel for input from the camera. Then I don't have to use the RF modulator so the Tivo can see the camera.(The RF modulator is one of those devices that people formally used to connect their DVD player to an older TV that didn't have RCA or other newer jacks, only the coaxial cable input.) I am thinking that Series 2 DT don't go for much on ebay, so probably not worth listing. So am exploring using them for 'poor mans' video surveillance system. With a dual tuner model I think I can connect one camera to one channel tuned to channel 0, then connect another camera connected through a modulator to the other input so to record both cameras info to the Dual Tuner at the same time. And can even record at the highest resolution and still be able to record all day long from both cameras. This is in contrast to the terrible resolution videos that U see of people robbing banks. U would think that a bank would have the money to spend to get a decent recording system. Course they are recording from many cameras so that takes up a lot of hard drive space.
    So someone that doesn't want to pay $1000 for a video surveillance system can pick up a used Series 1 or 2 Tivo and use it to record from a old video camera that they were going to trash.
    One of my neighbors was having trouble with someone messing with his car and yard out front, so he was going to set one up to record all night to get them on tape(hard drive) perpetuating their evil deeds

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've only been able to get the "Channel 0" or "Channel 1" trick to work on Series 1 TiVos. If you figure out how to get TCD649080 or TCD649180 Series 2 Stand Alone Dual Tuner units to do it, please let us know exactly how.