TiVo always records in 'best' quality

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jonre, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Jonre

Jonre New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    I've gone to the settings and set the recording quality to 'basic', but whenever I press RECORD, the display tells me I'm recording in 'best' quality.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Right. If you ask it to record from the live buffer, Best is what you get. The setting you adjusted is for scheduled recordings.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm not totally sure about this, but the TiVo is always buffering at best quality. So when you hit record it will save the buffer and continue to record in best quality. Setting to different qualities only really works with scheduled recordings, ie: when you set up the SP or Wishlist. I believe you do have the option to change the quality when you hit record, but then you lose the part that's in the buffer.

Dang it. I spent too much time with a long reply. :)

4. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Jim is correct. You can change the quality after you hit record...but you will lose what is in the buffer.

5. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    You could also go to Settings and change the live buffer default to Basic.

6. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    You can? When did they add that?

(I know you've been able to adjust the default recording quality in the past, but that has never affected the LiveTV buffer)

7. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Can't change the live buffer quality, never have been able to.

8. sghogan

sghogan New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    When I record smiting that I am watching live I use 2 procedures. If I want to record something that I just saw then I press record and "record at best" which picks up the buffer to record what I just watched. There are occasions that I want to record the rest of the program but not what I just watched. For example I am watching the Today show and they mention what is up coming in the next segment.
    In this case press record and then select "season pass and other options" then select record this program. Now you get a choice to either record the buffer and the rest of the program at best. Or only the rest of the program in basic or what ever your options are set to.

A quirk to watch out for when pressing record while watching live TV. If the 30 minute buffer crosses 2 programs (buffer is from 7:45 to 8:15 and the program changed at 8:00) and what you want to record is between 7:45 and 8:00 you will get the current program 8:00 to 8:15 and the recording drops the 7:45 to 8:00 part of the buffer. That has hit me a couple of times. There is no way to record the last of the previous program.