TiVo Adobe Air instead of (now-deprecated) Flash

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bradleys, Jan 11, 2012.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Lots of great tidbits coming from CES on TiVo...

Moving away from flash is huge!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/2...-streaming-dvr-content-to-ipad-with-prototype

2. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Adobe Air is just repackaged Flash. Glad to see they're doing work on the API side. I really, really hope they open it up for anyone to build apps. It'd be great to see the true promise of HMO/HME finally come true

3. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    It's moving from one adobe technology to another adobe technology. Jumping out of the pot and into the kettle, or out of the kettle and into the pot.

Newer technology is better than older technology, but I've grown to strongly dislike all things adobe.

4. DBLClick

DBLClick Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Adobe Air is more than a repackaged flash. Moving to Air provides TiVo a method of platform independents. The most exciting part of moving to Adobe Air platform are the possibilities for third parties to write networking applications for TiVo something Flash can not do.

A dream will be that the cable providers write an applications to run within the environment. Can you say Video on Demand?

5. muzzymate

muzzymate Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Cleveland
    That would be awesome. However, I'm afraid for me and Time Warner, it will remain just that - a dream.

6. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    That's what TiVo is doing with each company they have a relationship with (Charter, Cox, Comcast). And that's what tru2way was supposed to be, but it turned into a typical standard created by two industries that have animosity towards each other which is to say useless.

7. sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston
    The HDUI is still flash.

Adobe AIR is a framework for plugging in other Flash applications.

8. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Interesting... The HME apps were always kind of kludgy and disconnected from the user experience…

Hopefully, this can reinvigorate a community development effort! Assuming the SDK environment is opened to the general enthusiast.

9. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Wow, this sounds cool. Now if the Plex developers could write a Plex front end to TiVo, I could turn my Roku off.

TiVo is back! Let the evangelization begin!

10. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    A few snippets:

"Flash Player 11.2 is targeted for release in the first quarter of 2012."
    "• Multithreaded video decoding pipeline on the desktop which improves overall performance of video on all desktop platforms"
    But TiVo isn't a "desktop platform", right?

"Adobe is planning an additional Flash Player release in the second half of 2012. Code-named 'Dolores', ...."
    "• ActionScript workers (enables concurrent ActionScript execution on separate threads)"
    This sounds more like the one we're waiting for.

"ActionScript 'Next'”
    "The range of applications and content for ActionScript has shifted significantly in recent years, while the ActionScript 3 language remains virtually unchanged since its introduction in 2006. Adobe believes it is time to revise the language to carefully steer its further evolution towards greater expressiveness as well as productivity and performance gains."
    Do you really think it's time?? We wouldn't want to rush into anything.

11. Steve Richards

Steve Richards Member

May 6, 2004
    Norwell,MA
    Hmm -

I don't know if (or how) this relates to the TiVo implementation...

From the link above.

12. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think that is related to a native Air App for Linux. The key takeaway from a TiVo Perspective in addition to what was posted earlier is the emphasis on Advanced Television.

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    i need a score card to follow .... ;-)

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Flash support is embedded on the Broadcom chip. I don't think they are going to stop supporting the platform any time soon.