TiVo adds another 284K MSO subs in Q2; ready to get more with NCTC deal

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by HarperVision, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1 of 13
    HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...

Advertisements

VERY interesting tidbit that may point to an OTT future for TiVo thrown into this article, which also states that TiVo had a good Q2:

Hmmmmm......the plot thickens! ;)

2. Sep 9, 2015 #2 of 13
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Maybe. TiVo has a cloud DVR platform so all they would really need is the licensing from the various content providers. Not sure how easy that is going to be for them to get though. Sling is part of Dish which has an existing relationship with content providers, Sony is a content provider themselves and Apple is.... well... Apple. Not sure TiVo would have the pull to get those kinds of deals.

Although if they started with just the basic cable channels, and assumed people could get locals via OTA, then that might make things a bit easier as most of the popular basic cable channels are owned by a few content providers.

3. Sep 9, 2015 #3 of 13
    HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Wouldn't they get the licensing from the NCTC though, who already has the relationship to the content providers, just as Dish does?

4. Sep 9, 2015 #4 of 13
    HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    This is the entire paragraph about it that makes it seem so:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  5. Sep 9, 2015 #5 of 13
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005

Advertisements

Just sounds like NCTC is investing in middleware that sits in between Tivo and various billing authentication systems among other things so smaller providers don't have to change their billing system in order to adopt Tivo. Don't think the mention of compatibility of future OTT services meant those would be Tivo -provided. To me it sounds like the MSO would be behind it. Tivo would provide the platform to support it.

I guess Tivo is finding a niche as an equipment provider for smaller MSOs who don't have the resources to do what a Comcast or Time Warner can do.

6. Sep 9, 2015 #6 of 13
    HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Right, and it sounds to me like the NCTC is the MSO (in essence) for the 850 small cable operators, so they would be doing the OTT and IP Video service through the TiVo boxes used by the small cable co's that are part of the NCTC. TiVo wouldn't be the one negotiating the OTT/IP deals.

Am I reading that wrong? I think that's the role of the NCTC as an over arching entity of combined small cable plant operators to assist them in things like these TiVo deals and content provider negotiations, etc., no?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  7. Sep 9, 2015 #7 of 13
    HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    This definitely appears to be the case with what the NCTC provides:

8. Sep 9, 2015 #8 of 13
    HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Wow, there's even more in this press release on the NCTC website than what was in the Fierce Telecom release!

How's THIS?

:cool:

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If TiVo rolls out some sort of OTT service akin to SlingTV with the channels I watch and the ability to record those channels on my TiVo then I'd seriously consider it. I currently pay about $100/mo for cable excluding the internet part. I'd consider SlingTV or Playstation Vue too if they could be recorded with my TiVo.

10. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Well, I'm thinking the NCTC would be the one rolling it out. TiVo would just be the vessel to deliver it.

Why does it have to record on the TiVo? I actually liked the way Vue records tv because there's no tuner limit. When I had it for a month it was pretty cool when I just hit "record" on anything and everything I wanted and then the next time I showed up, there they all were in my recordings list. No conflicts to deal at all. The 28 day rule sucks I guess, but I'm really just a watch and delete kinda guy and if I don't watch it within that time I'm probably not going to.

11. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Of course an on demand streaming solution doesn't have to be able to record locally, but if it can't, many of us won't buy it as a replacement for a DVR.

12. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    This agreement with NCTC adds to the foothold that TiVo has in the MSO hardware and services space. While pretty much all of us on this board are retail TiVo users, I read yesterday that, of the 6 million current TiVo users in the US, 5 million use MSO-issued TiVos. It's really the heart of their business now and I tend to think it represents the best shot TiVo has for growth and survival going forward (unless their OTA DVR suddenly takes off with cord cutters).

I listened in on the TiVo earnings call on Tuesday and heard the CEO refer to their retail business as currently being a "headwind". He also mentioned how TiVo offers or will offer MSO solutions other than a traditional DVR. When I read those references above to "soft clients" and "new features and platforms," I can see that as being TiVo designed cable boxes simply for watching live TV, streaming and on-demand (imagine a Roamio without the DVR part) as well as cloud-based DVRs. Or, as "soft client" implies, it might be a TiVo app to use on Roku to access your MSO's TV service (saving the MSO from having to issue a set-top box). Time Warner Cable already has its own Roku app like that.

I'd be surprised to see an OTT service like Sling TV offered as part of these platforms that TiVo will offer the MSOs unless it were a small MSO who just decides to get out of the low-margin TV delivery business altogether and focus on simply being a broadband internet provider.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I still like to have things local so I can offload them to a PC or my tablet. But if it had a TiVo cloud DVR style UI and offered downloading to an app on the tablet that would probably be enough for me. Doesn't "have" to be local, just needs enough TiVo features for it to be similar to what I'm using now.

Although given TiVo's current record with online services I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have in it. They've had some issues with their online stuff in the past.