TiVo Adapters Rock!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Stormspace, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jan 2, 2007 #1 of 17
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I got a second TiVo wireless adapter for christmas and I must say I am very impressed. I'm getting transfer rates better than twice real time on BEST Quality shows! It's incredible. Seems like about every 20 seconds I get a minute transferred and this is with other transfers happening on the sending box. This is just incredible and the wife now wants to get another adapter for our third TiVo, in the meantime I'm switching them around when need a show faster. :)

2. Jan 2, 2007 #2 of 17
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Yes the TiVo wireless adapter is just superb, I use two on my upstairs TiVo DVRs and get better than realtime transfers all the time from my 240 and SD H400.
    Best idea TiVo had in regards to connectivity

3. Jan 2, 2007 #3 of 17
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    yeah it is awesome, we have 2 as well, worth the money if you transfer a lot and at higher quality

4. Jan 2, 2007 #4 of 17
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    more kudos to the TiVo Wireless Adapter
    It's just a spiffy looking design, well built, solid

And yeah, fast!

5. Jan 2, 2007 #5 of 17
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

NOTE: I have WPA turned on and that has been rock solid with the adapter and still just as fast as when I just used WEP :up:

6. Jan 2, 2007 #6 of 17
    Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Personally I find wireless securty to be a little over hyped. True, having someone hop on your signal and suck your bandwidth is bad, as well as have someone download something using your IP, but minimal security is all you really need to thwart those users. WPA is just overkill. Having said that, if I lived in a cesspool of crime like New York I'd be singing a different tune, however for most residential users 64bit WEP is sufficient. Sometimes I think that people overestimate the value of thier network and data and pile on security because it's available, not because they need it.

It is good to know that WPA doesn't impact performance. I know that in most cases wireless security only makes the original connection slow, but once it's established performace returns to normal.

7. Jan 2, 2007 #7 of 17
    CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    The deal with the TiVo wireless adapter is that a lot of the processing involved with WPA and other parts of the 802.11g protocol that is normally done on the host is done by the adapter, so the CPU in the TiVo is not bogged down by it.

8. Jan 2, 2007 #8 of 17
    etz

etz New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    when you guys speak of speedy transfer times, do you mean sending programs to your PC via the TiVo Desktop program, or from TiVo box to TiVo box for multi-room viewing? Does it make a difference?

I just purchased a TiVo brand wireless adapter and find that my TiVo Desktop transfers are at best a bit more than realtime (say 70 minutes for an hour of medium quality) but usually closer to to double time (meaning 2 hours for an hour of programming). I'm not terribly impressed with that.

Any tips to speed this up?

9. Jan 2, 2007 #9 of 17
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    the TiVo branded wireless adapter should improve network speeds for *any* communication, compared to other-brand adapters. This includes multi-room viewing as well as TiVo Desktop / TiVo To Go

What model TiVo do you have? What kind of network? 802.11b? g? n? other?
    How's your computer connected to the network?

The network speed itself, speed of your computer, etc. can greatly influence your transfer speeds

10. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    MRV transfers will always be signicantly faster then TTG transfers. When the Tivos transfer shows between each other they do not need to be encoded, when it is transfered to a computer it does need to be encoded, which will then slow down the transfer times.

11. Stormspace

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    My experience is that the TiVo adapter only functions well if both devices on the transmit/receive are using one. Transfer times otherwise are the same old slow crawl.

12. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Yep...cuz Tivo adapter can only go as fast as the slower adapter....

Cheapest i've seen them so far is $50 at Radio Shack...and Amazon (free shipping)..ive been bidding on ebay...but trying not to go over $45 inc shipping....aint got one yet... ;)

13. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Agreed, EXCEPT when I transfer from my s2DT (non-tivo adapter) to the s2 with the tivo adapter...seems like anything I transfer from the DT is faster so I didn't bother putting a tivo adapter on it.

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I have 2 S2 DTs I transfer back and forth with. One is wired and the other uses the TiVo adapter. The speeds are slightly faster than when I put them both on the TiVo adapter.

15. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Amazon has had them from time to time for $45 so keep checking as they may go back to the price.

16. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    I've not timed it but my S2DT seems to be able to record from the PC practically in real time via a Linksys 200, which of course is wired. The 540 using the Tivo wireless does pretty good but I'd have to give it some lead time.

But Tivo to Tivo seemed to me to be the slowest way. However to be fair I'd been having some network connectivity issues (hopefully resolved now) and I've not done a lot of Tivo to Tivo transfers yet since I just got the DT unit.

I find it all a mixed bag though. It's great to be able to store movies on a PC hard drive and the wireless adaptor is critical to that end. I'm seriously thinking of putting all my recordings on a seperate drive with a USB enclosure. I actually own DVD copies of my favorite movies when available but it's just the shear ease of pulling them up from a menu rather than fooling around with loading DVDs & CDs. OTOH I find a noticable difference in PQ between the 540 & S2DT, with the 540 being better, even though the DT does seem to run smoother.

I forgot to add that some folks say some other wireless adaptors seem to have a heat issue but I've had no such problem with the Tivo adaptor. Also, I'm glad they finally made the software WEP capable because that works best with my wireless devices, "overkill" or not. ;)

17. quarkman97

quarkman97 All mobbed up!

Nov 17, 2002
    Brewcity, WI
    Yeah, I bought a couple of these through the Rewards program since my points were about to expire. Going to put them up on ebay unless someone wants them. PM me.