TiVo Ad Mentioning Ad-Skipping

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ccwf, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1 of 12
    ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/v/sHdDJW5rrSk

And if anyone is still curious after watching that, here's another ad for that new TiVo DVR model.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/bvw3dY9V4y0

2. Aug 9, 2006 #2 of 12
    dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Huh? What?

3. Aug 9, 2006 #3 of 12
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    funky that No. 1 is in English in the ad. Is there no equivalent phrase?

And I take it you are saying that ad-skipping is not something TiVo in the form of TGC is as concerned about saying in the Far East.

4. Aug 9, 2006 #4 of 12
    Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Yeah...I guess this post is in rebuttal to TivoPony's post in the forum recently that they never have advertised "ad-skipping" as a Tivo Feature.

'Course I'll have to take ccwf's word that's what they are talking about.

5. Aug 9, 2006 #5 of 12
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...

Advertisements

Nope. Not our company. TGC manufactures the product and supplies the service in Taiwan, they're a separate entity. There are obviously close ties with us, but it's not us.

So my claim still stands. ;)

Pony

6. Aug 9, 2006 #6 of 12
    Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Heh..how about this:

"TiVo subscribers sit down to watch a 60-minute "live" program 20 minutes past the start time so they can skip past the commercials "

Found in:
    Does TiVo allow me to fast forward through commercials?
    http://www.tivo.com/1.6.1.asp

7. Aug 9, 2006 #7 of 12
    marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    BUSTED! LOL

In Tivo's defense, though, they aren't really advertising that fact. That's in response to a question (albeit their own question) and they are answering it honestly. Yes, it can be used to fastforward through commercials, just like you can fastforward through half-time, and all of American Idol.

-Mike

8. Aug 9, 2006 #8 of 12
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    that is the one offiical place that commercial skipping has been found, but it is not an ad. TiVoPony has stated that FFing commercials or skipping them has never been in any advertising from TiVo inc.

9. Aug 9, 2006 #9 of 12
    Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    Yeah...I thought that would be the answer "It ain't an Advertisement". But realistically not all Ads are paid, and the fact that it is listed in a public FAQ that appears to be aimed at those that have not yet purchased a Tivo......does somewhat make it seem like a promotion of ad-skipping.

All semantics I guess.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/advertising
    "to call public attention to especially by emphasizing desirable qualities so as to arouse a desire to buy or patronize "

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Well semantics are important to TiVo. The danger of TiVo saying their DVR is about ad skipping is it makes them open to legal hassles if the broadcasters (read ABC idiot exec) can point to TiVo explicitly stating the DVR is for skipping ads. If TiVo plays the semantics game then it makes that harder. ABC or other broadcasters has ZERO vested interest in TiVo sticking around. Indeed their life is easier if it is just cable companies DVRs they have to keep in line.

The danger to us of course is that TiVo inc. never promised we could skip ads with the Box - except in that FAQ of course. So maybe they come across a business plan that entails taking that away. Well it will be easier for them to take it away since they never marketed a DVR around that ability. So we get uneasy when TiVo states this.

Now a show of hands on how many will keep Their TiVo if you can no longer skip ads. Uh-huh, I thought it would be completely insane and Advertisers would have to be paying TiVo directly to not skip ads as about the only business plan that makes sense to TiVo. I highly doubt that will happen.

11. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    I was deliberately vague in the title of this thread. :) It's an ad for TiVo DVRs, but Pony is correct that the ad isn't by TiVo Inc.

ABC executives wouldn't object because that network isn't aired as such in Taiwan nor any of the other traditional networks that operate via having large numbers of local stations airing blocks of network programming. Of course, some network shows are purchased and aired by overseas channels.

Instead, 80% of Taiwan subscribes to a standard cable package (no tiers) that includes HBO and other movie channels, CNN (in English), ESPN, MTV, NHK (a premium channel in Japan), and, of course, lots of Taiwanese stations.

12. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    I thought this was a contest. Guess I don't win the new learning Tivo Remote :)