Tivo ad for logitech harmony remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by NewYorkLaw, Jan 20, 2006.

1. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    New York City

Advertisements

I saw the ad on my tivo, went to the website to register for the harmony remote giveaway, and was upset to see that "new york" was not a choice for address. Does anyone know if the ad was not meant for New Yorkers, or if Logitech just forgot to add NY to the drop-down list for registration? I emailed them, but nobody has replied yet.

Pete

2. N2DEEP

N2DEEP Rocky Rooooad

Dec 21, 2004
    San Diego,...
    http://contest.logitech.com/remote/index.cfm?countryid=19&languageid=1&contentid=86

3. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    It has to do with the NY laws regarding contests and sweepstakes. National contests have to comply with the laws of each and every state -- sometimes this can get expensive and if there is a state whose requirements are too steep for your budget or in some way specifically hampers your promotion you simply exclude residents of that state from participation.

sucks if you are from there.

Michael

4. AnotherWin95

AnotherWin95 Registered TiVo User

Dec 12, 2004
    Jacksonville...
    Florida is also not allowed.

:-(

5. AlexJS

AlexJS Rank Amateur

Jan 4, 2006
    Alexandria, VA

Advertisements

IIRC, NY requires a bond be posted a certain time in advance. I'm guessing Logitech couldn't post the bond in time.

6. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    New York City
    Why doesn't Tivo spare me the ads that don't apply to me? They know my demographics - if a contest does not apply to NY, they should not send it to me!

Pete

7. badcrc

badcrc Thread Killer

Aug 21, 2000
    Bremerton WA
    Speaking of this ad, how well does the 676 work with multiple tivos? With the $50 rebate I can pickup a 676 for around $70, but I have three tivos, two in the same room. I searched the forum and found one thread that mentioned a method of learning commands that sounded a little hit or miss. Is there a way to tell the 676 to use multiple and specific tivo remote IDs or do you have to attempt the learning thing and hope it works?

8. acha85

acha85 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Atherton, CA
    what was the web address to get the TiVo rebate again?

9. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Two reasons...

1) Much cheaper and easier to broadcast to all than to specific users

2) Just because the contest is invalid in NY doesn't mean that the ad isn't