TiVo A/V Breakout Cables kit: interchangeability of the 2 cables for composite connections?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mikeguy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

I have a TiVo A/V Breakout Cables kit, to connect my older tube TV to a Roamio via its composite connection unified jack. The kit comes with 2 cables, each with a unified plug connector on one end and 3 breakout plugs on the other, seemingly identical apart from the color of the plugs (see the attached pic).

I'm only using one of the cables (the one with yellow-red-white breakout plugs) for my TV composite connection. Can the second cable (with red-blue-green breakout plugs) be used likewise, to connect a second TiVo to a second TV via composite connection? In other words, are the 2 cables identical apart from the color of the plugs, in which case, which plug on the second cable is for video, which for right audio, and which for left audio? (Yeah, I know I can experiment, but just thought to check here in advance, in case someone knows off-hand.) Thanks--
    TiVo AV Breakout Cables kit.jpg

2. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    (By the way, for whatever it is worth, on the first cable, the yellow breakout plug is for video, red for right audio, and white for left audio.)

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That RGB cable is component video. It doesn't include audio, so you will still need the RW if you decide to use component and not composite. I have a Roamio that uses the RWY composite to feed a wireless headphone device. The yellow just hangs. The component would be good for a Mini I think.

4. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, I know that the RGB cable is for a component video connection, to be used in connection with the RW(Y) cable for audio (and why TiVo includes both cables in the kit--presumably so that only one kit needs to be stocked, covering both component and composite connections). But I'm not using the RGB cable, only the RWY cable for a composite connection to a Roamio Basic (the Roamio Basic and OTA only do composite and not component, unlike the Roamio Plus and Pro which do both), and so was wondering if I could use the "leftover" RGB cable for a composite connection between a second TiVo and TV (the 2 cables appear identical on the outside, apart from the colors).

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Use >this post< as your starting point. And some colored electrical tape once you have 'em verified.

edit: p.s. See also: RCA connector - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Mikeguy likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Cool beans, and thanks--the earlier thread hadn't appeared in my search.

For reference, as I understand it and going from the cable shield to plug tip:

Composite cable:
    Sleeve = ground
    1st ring = audio right = red
    2nd ring = audio left = white
    Tip = video = yellow

Component cable:
    Sleeve = ground
    1st ring = red
    2nd ring = blue
    Tip = green

And so, if using the component cable for composite purposes, and if my SAT exam training worked well ;) :

Composite cable red = Component cable red
    Composite cable white = Component cable blue
    Composite cable yellow = Component cable green

Time to mark those leads! :)

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That was my interpretation, as well.

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Humorously, that's what the TiVo sales photo above showed as well, but I wouldn't assume that's why the cables in the photo were laid out that way.

And so, my mind-bender for this cold Winter morning, lol (along with my phone and DSL service having gone down, presumably from Winter storms). Thanks, again--