Tivo: 9.1 what the hell were you thinking?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Icarus, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 245
    Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    I have to say I have three tivo boxes, an S1, S2 and an S3. I bought the S3 at its inflated early adopter price so I could transfer my lifetime service from my S1 and pay even more to do it. And I was happy to do it at the time.

9.1 is the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen. My channels stop working, season passes randomly changed channels to channel numbers not selected or not even in the channel list, I have to reset my box regularly since 9.1 to get both cable cards working, and various other little annoying bugs that I could probably live with, like the software forgetting where it was when it reenters the todo list after deleting an item and reentering the SP list, or having to reset the S3 after repeating guided setup to get any channels at all. And of course, I never had these problems with the previous release.

What the hell were you thinking? Are you trying to piss off loyal tivo owners/supporters or what?

You need to work on your QA. And you need to figure out what you broke and get it fixed immediately.

This really sucks, and frankly, I'm pissed off. And I never post here whining about this or that. If you lose a customer like me, you might as well just give it up.

So, how about a fix, an explanation and an apology? (in that order).

-David

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 245
    ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Outside of some cable card issues, which I can't say are 9.1's fault for sure, it seems to work fine for me. One of the CC issues was a TW problem. Last night I had a problem with sound on one recording, on only one channel for some strange reason, and by switching back and forth from card to card I got it to work.

Sorry you're having such problems.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 245
    Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    It's not just me .. read all the threads related to 9.1 and you'll see that there are plenty of people that lose one or both cable card channels randomly and therefore lose recordings and have to reset to get the channels back.

I already had to pay to download 2 shows I missed because they were digital channels that weren't working on that cable card when the shows were "recorded" and they weren't available anywhere else. Last weeks Survivor and CSI. Fortunately, they were available on amazon unbox.

-David

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 245
    Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Correct me if I am wrong, but...

To get it so quickly didn't you have to sign up for the priority download?

Early adopting software (of any kind of any platform) means you're going to experience the early bugs and issues. (Yes, even after beta.)

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 245
    skweaz

skweaz Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Austin, TX
    That might be a fine solution for someone who watches live tv, but it certainly doesn't do anything to help scheduled recordings that failed when the system can't tune.

You are wrong. I did not sign up for the priority list, in fact I was one of the "lucky" ones who got it before the list was even posted.

9.1 has definitely caused problems for some people but not all.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 245
    Icarus

Icarus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    I did not sign up for the 9.1 priority download. Thanks for trying to blame me for the problems I'm having.

Even if somebody did sign up for the priority download, the software has been released. Why would you try to imply it's their fault if they are having problems with it? It doesn't take that long to get software these days when most of us access the service through the internet and not via a daily phone call.

-David

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 245
    Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Your wrong....... it was downloaded to my S3 by Tivo just a few days after it was released.

For my TivoHD I did sign up for the priority d/l after not getting it like the S3 had several days earlier.

Luckily my S3 and TivoHD are working fine so far.

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 245
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I have to side with the other fellers here, if this was the case it should have been released as a beta/you may find bugs program and not a general release.

However, I wonder how much our hacks have to do with the problems? It would be nice to know the number of stock Tivo's having problems compared to ones that have been hacked in any way.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 245
    mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I have a clean S3. I also did not sign up for priorities... First my pixelation/audio drops, now CC2 going blank, soon enough SDV... what else?

10. Oct 8, 2007 #10 of 245
    bsather

bsather Member

Sep 8, 2006
    WI
    I have two S3's, both with internal upgraded plus external. I had severe pixelation on both units prior to 9.1. Pixelation is now gone...Motorola S Cards in both.

11. Oct 8, 2007 #11 of 245
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Except for the skip/replay image-freeze annoyance, I haven't noticed any problems with my Series 2 and 3 TiVos with the 9.1 version.

Anything I should check to see if I too have problems that will affect recordings?

12. Oct 8, 2007 #12 of 245
    Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    I was under the impression that 9.1 was only going to priority folks who requested it at this time. Sorry!

I guess that changes the tone from "why does this early-release software I asked for not work?" to "hey, why did my Tivo suddenly break?"

I get that.

13. Oct 8, 2007 #13 of 245
    Corran Horn

Corran Horn Member

Feb 12, 2002
    I-L
    I've only seen a menu slowdown, myself.

14. Oct 8, 2007 #14 of 245
    Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I've got a stock S2 and a stock S3. Both have 9.1. I haven't had any problems on either device except for a few of the "pixelation" skips of maybe 2-3 seconds on some shows. But I think those happened before only instead of skipping I just had 2-3 second of pixilation. And that happened on my old cable co provided box too, so I am pretty sure it's a signal strength or other interference issue.

Not saying there aren't issues, but I am saying they aren't universal.

15. Oct 8, 2007 #15 of 245
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I too had the issue where one of the cablecards became broken until a reboot. Could be the cable provider, but just noticed others were having the issue as well.

That's a pretty major bug.

16. Oct 8, 2007 #16 of 245
    SAH2

SAH2 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I have both an S3 and an HD and both are having the same problems. I also got 9.1 very early without requesting it.

The most annoying are the problems with repeated manual recordings. Since we do not have cable cards and use the QAM channels we can no longer get repeated recordings to work. And if one is set, the Tivo will freeze if you accidentally select it to make any changes.

This makes the Tivo worse than even a VCr at this point as each recording needs to be set for each show. I would gladly accept a rollback to 8.3 where everything worked fine for me.

17. Oct 8, 2007 #17 of 245
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Consider yourself corrected. I am traditionally toward the back of the list and I never sign up for priority and I have 9.1 on everything for several days.

Indeed, I'm pretty savvy and I know of no way to avoid getting the download for more than about 12-13 days without losing use of the TiVoes, and then I'd be giving up MRV & TTG & Unbox & TiVoCast in the interim.

18. Oct 8, 2007 #18 of 245
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I've seen that mentioned elsewhere, and it sounds like a very bad bug. I hope you have called TiVo and reported this, so they know many people have this problem .

19. Oct 8, 2007 #19 of 245
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Virtually zip.

Anyone who is not having these problems is just not noticing them or happens to have a configuration that doesn't have some of the bugs. If a tree falls in the forest and you don't hear it, the tree still fell.

20. Oct 8, 2007 #20 of 245
    DrWho453

DrWho453 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Raleigh NC
    Well I got my update 4 days ago and did not sign up for it. Both my series 3 and my series 2 seem to be working without any noticeable problems.

On my series 3 before the update, once in a blue moon Tivo would try to record channel 255 but the video would come in from 256 with no audio. I have to change to another channel and then back to 255 to fix it and once its fixed, it seems to work for a long period of time before it happens again. Last time I think it was a month between the two times that it happened. I am waiting to see if it happens again now that I have 9.1.

On my series 2, I do have one issue that I am not sure an updated 9.1 would fix it or if it is something that needs to be updated in the other software that I am running but I have that program that allows you to access Amazon, NetFlix and Blockbuster video through tivo running on my desktop system. Before 9.1, the program worked without any problems except for the Netflix issue which is being worked on. This morning, I tried to get a preview of Axis of Evil and it downloaded ok to the PC but when I tried to access the preview through tivo, the system rebooted. I have not tried to access any other video on the pc. The photos and music work without a problem.