tivo 40 hour - out of stock, any word?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by angra, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Jan 2, 2006 #1 of 17
    angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002

Advertisements

Has Tivo said anything about if/when they will have more of the 40 hour S2 units for sale on the $150 instant savings deal? I have a relative who wants one, and the price is right, but I am not letting her get involved in tivo rebate hell. Wondering if we should wait for more to come in or give in and get a 80 hour.

2. Jan 2, 2006 #2 of 17
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Makes you wonder don't it... When Apple drops stock to nothing, a new model is in the pipeline. Bad planning or master plan? Will we see some new 40HR models, perhaps with Ethernet, introduced this week? ;)

3. Jan 2, 2006 #3 of 17
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Dave's right. It is entirely possible there will be some info to come out this next week which might influence your buying decision. Something like an integrated ethernet port would save you $40 or so on an adapter if you do intend to connect to the internet.

On the other hand, they may have run into unexpected demand and all that is happening is that they are struggling to move in their new units with exactly the same capabilities (only with 7.21 preinstalled, and shipping in the new smaller boxes).

4. Jan 2, 2006 #4 of 17
    angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    In this particular relative's case, integrated ethernet port, etc, would not be a plus. She just needs a plain old series 2 tivo. $50 is a good price. $200 is not so appealing.

Thanks for pointing out the timing of this, though, I had not thought about that. I agree the time is ripe for a new product announcement of one sort or another.

5. Jan 2, 2006 #5 of 17
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

given the new guided setup over network stuff it could make sense to offer the Asian market design here. But they give us people here on the board the hard decision of waiting for cable card if it is just that.

I am holding onto my bet for an early next year (March) cable card model though I would have thought the current 40 hour analog would have stuck around for the low end 50$ market.

Can't wait for CES anouncements to clear some of this up. Glad I am not needing another TiVo at the moment

6. Jan 2, 2006 #6 of 17
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    My gut tells me that's the likely scenario... most stock probably ends up in stores like Best Buy, and TiVo has started doing more direct sales than they planned for on the web during the holiday seasons (maybe those TV commercials worked). But speculating on new models is so much more fun... :D

7. Jan 2, 2006 #7 of 17
    gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    You may be right. The Best Buy near me has stacks of 40 and 80 hour Tivo's near the door. No shortage here.

8. Jan 2, 2006 #8 of 17
    ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Amazon also sold out a few days before Christmas, which would indicate stronger-than-expected online sales. Rogers said in the last earnings call that they had found online ads to be extremely cost-effective, and were going to try to ramp up that spending as much as possible going into the holidays (or something to that effect). It may be that they underestimated the effect of those ads.

The Best Buy stores appeared to get a major influx of TiVo boxes just before Thanksgiving, so you're probably right about them getting most of the stock. It was known that inventory might be tight this season, so TiVo probably favored their biggest customer.

9. Jan 2, 2006 #9 of 17
    ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    How many total units? (A full pallet, stacked to about 5 ft. high will hold about 42 to 60 units, depending on whether it is the new packaging or the old, and exactly how high they are stacked.) You're in Atlanta?

10. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Two pallets stacked about chest high to me (I'm 5'10"). From what I remember the boxes were orange and they said "The TiVo Box" on the sides. I don't know if that is new or old packaging.
    This was at the Best Buy on Haynes Bridge Rd. (Northpoint).

11. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    All of my local Best Buy's still have tons of them.

To the OP, I'd say go with the 80 hour, if it's within the price range. I just had to talk a friend out of getting a 40, because, as we all know, you can't really get 40 hours at acceptable quality. My friend decided, after playing with my TiVo, that she'd want most things in Medium if not High, which signifigantly takes away from that 40 hour figure.

Getting an 80 hour TiVo is also less confusing for someone who isn't so tech savvy; less messages about filling up your TiVo and such that you and I know how to deal with (or ignore), yet might scare someone who doesn't understand their signifigance (or insignifigance). The only person I could recommend a "40 hour" model to would be someone who literally only wanted it for one or two soaps or something like that, or, of course, someone who is going to upgrade it later.

AC

12. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    Thanks for the input. I will upgrade the unit for the relative once she realizes she needs it, so really the only reason to spend the extra $100 is to skip the rebate game.

It's too bad that tivo isn't including a free 11 months of service with the retail units (effectively the same deal as the prepay for 12 months deal) rather than doing the rebate.

13. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I really hope there is a beefed up series 2 involved.

The other possibilty is: Remember they embarked on a plan to show profits? That involved selling fewer units. Then they changed the strategy back to selling more units and not worrying about short term profit. They may not have been able to change their manufacturing plans in time to accomodate the flip in strategies.

14. hussaroo

hussaroo New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    i bought the 40 hr one just before christmas, it was defective so they sent me an 80 hr replacemnt!

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's possible they could be releasing a non-HD, single tuner unit with CableCARD support. I don't know how likely that is, but it's possible. I guess we'll find out in 10-12 hours. :)

Dan

16. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    I hope you are right and they do go high end, low end.

Especially if it means the lowend CC unit could be cranked out for practically nothing.

This is a lot of fun.

17. angra

angra Old Fogey

Apr 12, 2002
    looks like they are back in stock for the moment - got one ordered up. I don't care if they announce a newer better widget, the good old 40 hour for $50 is a great deal for this user.