TiVo 3rd Tuner Activated--For Virgin.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Series3Sub, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010

Advertisements

Just read that Virgin with TiVo has activated a 3rd tuner. I don't think that is going to ever happen for us here in the US with retail TiVo's. However, it might be possible for some MSO boxes with TiVo. Still would love a 3rd tuner.

2. nexter

nexter New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    oh that would be awesome, do the retail premieres even have the capability ? o_O

3. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Nope the premieres does not have a third tuner only 2.

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Given the hardware available when the premiere was made it is a chip choice

one chip set can do 2 tuner sets of digital/OTA/analog
    other chip set does a set of 3 digital tuners

for an MSO 3 digital tuners is a no brainer

5. puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006

Advertisements

The new premiere-based whole home DVR will have four tuners (in addition to the MoCA and streaming). I suspect that all four tuners will be enabled from the get go.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    "new premiere-based whole home DVR"

I don't deny something like this will come out someday, but what are you basing this info on?

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Probably the Suddenlink agreement. They announced last year they were working on a whole home TiVo due out the second half of 2011, and when you combine that with the push for the Tuning Adapter to support a minimum of 4 tuners, it points to 4 tuners. This was the same time they joined the MoCA group.

Now whether or not we will see a retail box who knows. I still wish TiVo had released a Premiere XL with 4 tuners without OTA tuners since they could still have used the same chipsets. They could have then also released a cheap 4 tuner OTA only which would have eliminated the CableLabs cost.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think the chipset options are either 2 cable/OTA or 3 cable only. I don't think there is actually an option for 4 tuners regardless of how they're configured.

Also if they are making a 3 tuner box for Virgin it's possible they might offer it at retail as well.

Dan

9. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    From what I remember bkdtv said they have a couple of chipset options. These may have changed though since this was around the launch of the Premiere. Here is one of his posts on it.

On each chipset you have the option of
    1 clearqam and 1 OTA
    2 clearqam and 0 OTA
    0 clearqam and 2 OTA

Since TiVo uses two chips they could have done
    2 Clearqam/2 OTA like they did
    3 Clearqam/1 OTA which might have confused customers since not an equal number of tuners
    4 Clearqam/0 OTA which would have been nice as an option
    1 Clearqam/3 OTA again an issue for not being equal
    0 Clearqam/4 OTA which might have been nice for those who don't want cable.

The UK chipsets would be different most likely since I believe they use different tuning technology since they don't use things like CableCARD.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Offer 3 types of Tivo. Cable, OTA or Mixed.

11. puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006
    What I said was based upon the internals of the new units (hint: TSN 750 and A90), not the Suddenlink agreement (though that's the public evidence of it).

12. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I would definitely welcome it and would upgrade my last TiVo HD for a 4 tuner TiVo.

I wonder though if things like MoCA are still reserved for the MSO box rather than a retail box because previously TiVo said that probably wouldn't see it into a retail model.

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    correct Dan and innocentFreak

save for the fact that due to demodulator limitations you can only do 1 OTA per chip so only 2 OTA tuners as an option

14. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Ahh didn't know that part.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    With OTA waning, they should certainly consider offering a cable only TiVo if they stay in the hardware business.

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Actually Tivo should push the tuners out of the box and make them USB or Network attached and let people buy what and as many as they want. If Satellite ever gets "cable carded" they could be back in the satellite business by just selling you a dish or direct tuner.

I could see a Series 5 TiVo being a low cost no fee streaming device without DVR functionality built in - if you want it to become a DVR upgrade it by adding external storage & what ever tuners you want. Pay a sub fee that upgrades the software and now you have a DVR. I could also see Google TV devices being built like this if Google ever gets the bugs fixed.

Thanks,

17. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Is it?

18. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
  19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Supposedly for the people that rely solely on OTA. But the group of people that rely on OTA and say VOD and other online services is probably going up.\

there is no way for OTA only to replace cable/satellite. it needs to be supplemented from online sources to be able to replace cable/satellie.

20. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    It certainly grew here. We lost our Directv HD channels on Tivo and have been relying on OTA for HD reception.