Tivo 3D?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Bill McNeal, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1 of 79
    Bill McNeal

Bill McNeal Member

May 31, 2002
    3D TVs are apparently the Next Big Thing. I imagine in 3-4 years we'll see the Tivo Series 5/Tivo 3D.

Is this even possible, assuming continued improvements in processor? Could a Tivo 3D support multiple proprietary 3D technologies for Sony/Panasonic/Samsung and their glasses?

Now that would be something to demonstrate that "inventing the DVR was just a warmup."

2. Mar 9, 2010 #2 of 79
    Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    It took this long for tivo to update their UI, I laugh to think how long it's going to take to implement something like this.

3-4, no way.

3. Mar 9, 2010 #3 of 79
    bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    From what I gather, the 3D standard just requires HDMI 1.4. As long as your device outputs on HDMI 1.4 it can support 3D. The signal sent to all televisions are the same.. the "proprietary 3D technologies" are what each TV does with that signal. The Premiere only has HDMI 1.3 out.
    So yes. Tivo 4.1 or 5 will most likely replace the 1.3 port with HDMI 1.4 and thus allow 3D output.

4. Mar 9, 2010 #4 of 79
    retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    now with new and improved ads in 3D that no longer sit unobtrusively on your flat 2D screen :eek:

I just had to :D

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm actually kind of curious about this new 3D technology. I can't really watch 3D movies at the theater, something about them hurts my eyes and gives me a headache. The few times I've tried I ended up watching most of the movie with one eye shut. However, from what I've read, the active shutter glasses they use with these new TVs is suppose to work a lot better then the polarized glasses they use at the theater. I'd really like to try out one of these new setups and see if it causes the same eye strain problem I have at the theater.

As for TiVo supporting it... Maybe some day, but I doubt it'll be in 3-4 years. I doubt there will even be anything available in 3D besides BluRay in 3-4 years. The OTA and cable broadcast standards don't support 1080p@120fps, so the only people who might be able to broadcast 3D are going to be the DSS providers anyway. And a 3D movie is going to be pretty large (30-40GB) so it's going to be a while before we see them available from download services like Amazon or Netflix.

Dan

7. Andrew_S

Andrew_S Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    ESPN 3D is coming this year (starting with the World Cup this summer) and will carried by both DSS and cable. Not sure how either is going to handle the 3D as neither support HDMI 1.4 with their equipment. The Playstation 3 will support a lower resolution 3D image over its HDMI 1.3 outputs. Maybe DSS and Cable will follow the same path.

8. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    Yeah.. several TV networks announced they are launching 3D versions within the next year. ESPN 3D starts airing live in June! To me the best part is: It will start off commercial free! I would expect cable companies to first launch HDMI 1.4 compatable boxes as part of a 3D programming tier and eventually as standard equipment. The 3D version uses the same bandwidth as HD cable.. so no special equipment is needed except the HDMI 1.4 output to the TV.

So yeah, I would also expect the Tivo Premiere to be much like the Series3/TivoHD. I think they will have to change the Premiere to support 3D. Premiere/Premiere3D.

9. knuckles

knuckles Watch This Baby!

Dec 21, 2002
    Northeastern PA
    I don't see 3D making it big until you don't have to wear any goofy glasses.

10. CowDuo

CowDuo New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Pretty soon your regular glasses will support 3D.

Some contacts, too, I suspect.

LCD panels require active shutter glasses (big, expensive).

But plasma, LED and OLED can use polarized light like 3D movies have today.

11. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Would not a TiVo 3D actually be 4D since time is the 4th dimension and TiVo does shift time therefore it is 4D.

Or, maybe, it just crosses over into the Twilight Zone...

12. bobdirt

bobdirt New Member

Feb 26, 2010

why no because the tivo it self doesnt shift time it self but more moves tv shows to the time that is best suited for you :p and with that point it is amazing that we are bring 3D finally to are setup i have had some friends talk about how amazing it would be to have 3D tv for your home and what would it be like playing a video game (Call Of Duty MW2) while in a 3D state now i think this would be awsome

13. geltdrakken

geltdrakken New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    OH man the headaches I am already having trying to integrate old with new. And now 3D? AAAAAAAh. Where's the 20th century when you need it. Things were so much slower then. Why, in my day.....

14. geltdrakken

geltdrakken New Member

Mar 11, 2010

Awwww, I like the goofy glasses. The red and blue ones remind me that there really was a 1950's. So they told me.

15. geltdrakken

geltdrakken New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    OK now I've got 5 threads. That wasn't too hard

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I just read an article about this in one of my magazines (I think it was CPU) and they said that this whole technology is based on a special extension to the H.264 codec. As far as I know there are no cable companies in the US broadcasting in H.264, so I can't see how they could possibly broadcast this ESPN 3D channel. Both Dish and DirecTV use H.264, so they can probably support it with special receivers, but it would be a major transition for cable.

Dan

17. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Our local Best Buy manager just tweeted today that he picked up a new Samsung 3D LCD to set up in the store. I suspect that likely means most Best Buy stores will soon be getting in the technology so you can go to the nearest one and see how you react to it.

18. Andrew_S

Andrew_S Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    Comcast is in negotiations to carry ESPN 3D.

19. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Given the debacle that setting up HDTV was for most of the population, 3D is going to be worse.

20. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Nothing can be as bad as CableCARD installs were, and sometimes still are, though.

But then some providers get it right. Service Electric, who services the area my mom lives, lets you just pick up the card, take it home, insert it in the unit, go online, enter the code off the card, push a button. Authorized 5 seconds later, and working.

No unnecessary pairing; no ridiculous requirements of tech visits; not even hassles of teaching CSRs their job. They even had a small card with instructions they handed out with the CableCARD.