Tivo 2 yellow picture how does Tivo identify my unit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by randymel, Sep 20, 2007.

1. randymel

randymel New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Tulsa, OK

Advertisements

I had a power surge at my house recently and it ruined my Tivo Series 2's power supply. I bought a new power supply on ebay and now my Tivo works again. However, now whenever Tivo records something new, it plays it back with a yellow tint all over the screen that makes it impossible to watch. I can watch things that my Tivo recorded prior to the power surge just fine, but I can't watch anything it's recorded after the surge.

I thought about just buying another Tivo 2 from Ebay, but I have a lifetime subscription on this Tivo and I don't think Tivo will allow me to transfer that agreement, correct? I think I could fix my Tivo with salvaged parts from a used one on Ebay, but I don't know how the Tivo network ID's my Tivo (and therefore keeps giving me free updates as per my lifetime subscription). In other words, I am afraid of replacing the wrong part, and tipping the Tivo network off that this isn't my Tivo anymore (with the lifetime subscription).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    ***call tivo and ask to send your unit back for repair... there will be a charge and if they can not fix it they will offer you a new unit and offer to transfer the lfetime for you.

***People have reported in the pst that this is what tivo has done. Past results do not inducate future success

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Your TiVo's identity lives on a chip on the mainboard.

The only acceptable way to maintain your Lifetime is by having the TiVo "serviced" by TiVo, or replaced by them or its manufacturer.

4. randymel

randymel New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks but I don't think Tivo will offer to transfer my lifetime service now that I've opened the box to replace the power unit. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

5. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...

Advertisements

I have returned a Series 2 TiVo DT that I had been inside for non-warranty RMA replacement. In fact when I was going through the RMA process with TiVo, I TOLD them that I had already replaced the hard drive in the unit, and nobody batted an eye. That is no guarantee of what anyone's else's experience will be, of course, but that really is your best bet to maintain your lifetime on a working box, so I'd give it a shot. It will cost you $79 for the replacement TiVo.

6. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Just curious, do they care if you have a prom mod or other hacks?

7. randymel

randymel New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey thanks for the suggestions everyone. I called tech support and after being on hold for almost an hour, a very helpful man told me that they would be happy to send me another (refurbished) Tivo AND transfer my lifetime plan for $150. They are going to send me a standard definition "dual tuner" Tivo because they don't have any like mine in stock (mine was the first Series 2 Tivo - single tuner, standard definition). You can buy a Tivo brand new like the one they're sending me for only $99, but I didn't mind paying $150 since they're transferring over my lifetime subscription. Again, thanks for the help and suggestions from all. They didn't seem to mind that I had replaced the power unit, by the way, probably since my warranty had long expired (old unit is 4 1/2 years old). It probably would have voided the warranty had I modified it under warranty.