Tivo 2 hard drive..

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Enigma256, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1 of 12
    Enigma256

Enigma256 New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    hi guys/gals,

I am new but good with PC and stuff. I own Tivo series 2 DVR TCD 540040 (model #) I upgraded to a 160 gig hard drive like 4 years ago.. Come to this year, the 160 gig hard drive is going bad..

Tivo reboots and you can hear the hard drive noise more and more..Here comes the fun part, i sort of misplaced the old tivo hard drive that came with the system.

Once I get a new ide hard drive next week, I intend to follow this
    hinsdale-how-to to copy stuff over to the new one..

Now what I am worried is if the above step does not work, where can I get the image of my Tivo from? From browsing through the site, I am assuming I need to go to Dvrupgrade site?

So I went to that site, I came up with a selection of like 5 selections and I have no idea which one to use.

Since I am new on this site and I do not have 5 posts and it wont let me post links..

I have tried to look through the site, for similar problem.. I think I have not found it.. If it is a repeat I am sorry..

Thank you for any help..

2. Jan 4, 2012 #2 of 12
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    If you live in the Denver area, come on by and I will sell you a working TCD 540040 for $10, and then you will have a extra power supply too.

Then all you have to do is move the hard drive over to your broken Tivo.

3. Jan 4, 2012 #3 of 12
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Go to the Upgrade forum and check out the image begging thread. Also look up mfslive and winmfs - the Hinsdale documentation is getting pretty old.

4. Jan 4, 2012 #4 of 12
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Forget about Hinsdale. You can read it, just like you can read other how-to's based on the old MFS Tools software, just for general education.

But let's actually use newer software to do the job.

You'll get a lot more GB per dollar using a SATA drive.

Which means you need to read the SATA/IDE adapter thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416883

As for an image, go here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8688730#post8688730

download both files, even though you'll only need one.

That keeps both on the server longer

Go to mfslive.org

download the WinMFS program and the zip file of the .iso image for the MFS Live cd v1.4

You will use one or the other to possibly do a truncated backup of your current drive and to restore it to the new one or to restore one of my images to the new one.

Even if you use the WinMFS program, you should burn yourself a copy of the cd, it's handy to have around.

Do the downloads, burn the cd, read the adapter threads and all the guides at mfslive.org and then come back here and I'll tell you what to really do.

5. Jan 4, 2012 #5 of 12
    Enigma256

Enigma256 New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    ReplayTV: Thank you for the offer.. But unfortunately i am in Sacramento, CA :( I would even pay you $20 for it.. Thank you once again..

Unitron: Let me see how much sata drive is, since i am on a fixed budget... Talked to the wife into getting the drive since it is only $45.. I will check at fry's

Going to read the link that you provided..

Thank you guys..

6. Jan 4, 2012 #6 of 12
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What size IDE drive were you looking at? New or used?

Local purchase or shipped?

7. Jan 4, 2012 #7 of 12
    Enigma256

Enigma256 New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Unitron: Frys store.. 160 Gig ide hard drive.. new.. local

8. Jan 4, 2012 #8 of 12
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Ordinarily I wouldn't counsel spending $45 on a $16 drive, but with the Thailand flooding running up the prices and you being able to get a new drive (make sure it's not "reconditioned") from a national outfit's local store, to make warranty claims easier if necessary, go ahead.

Then, if the LBA number of the new drive is the same or larger than the LBA number on the one in the TiVo, use the MFS Live cd and do

dd_rescue -v /dev/hda /dev/hdb

where /dev/hda is the drive in the TiVo right now, and /dev/hdb is the one you just bought.

When it finally finishes, try the new one in the TiVo.

If it gives trouble, try KickStart 58 on it.

If it still doesn't want to work right get back to me here and we'll do it the hard way.

In the meantime, download both of those 540 images.

And you might want to take the old 160GB drive out of the TiVo ahead of time, wrap a couple of thicknesses of paper towel around it, and put it in the freezer overnight before using dd_rescue to copy it to the new drive.

9. Jan 4, 2012 #9 of 12
    Enigma256

Enigma256 New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    From the link of SATA/PATA adapters you provided:

Did it work?: yes
    TiVo Model: TCD540 - Series 2 single tuner
    Hard drive model: Western Digital WD2000 200GB
    Adapter retail name: LK-13415 /863
    Purchased from / Price: WOWParts.com / $5.99 free ship
    Chipset on the adapter: JM20330

That should work for the one I have presume..correct?

Looked around the house.. I have a couple of SATA 500 gig drives I can use..

I have downloaded the 2 files already..

Thank you for your help...

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I bought 2 of those from

http://www.nsioutlet.com/

which turned out to be a subsidary of wowparts.

I mention this because I used those 2 to put two 1TB drives in a Series 2 TiVo.

Since then I've run into a problem with what seems to be the same adapter, but obtained elsewhere, that wouldn't work as 1 of 2 devices on an IDE cable in a computer.

All of my other TiVos running SATA drives via adapter have only one drive, so I don't know if it's a difference between TiVo and computer, or between the adapters I originally got and the others or what.

I searched frys.com to see if they had an adapter you could grab locally.

This has the right chipset

http://www.frys.com/product/5962404

but because of it's design you'll have to plug it into the TiVo motherboard (which means not using both of those 500GB SATA drives in that one machine, but you'd have to spend extra on a twinbreeze bracket to do that anyway), and run a SATA data cable from it to the drive and power to both the drive and the adapter, so don't get it if it doesn't have all the necessary cables included.

Frys has another SYBA adapter that's designed to do the other way round (IDE drive, SATA port), make sure to avoid it.

If you get it and it works, write it up for the adapter thread.

Actually, whatever you get and however it turns out, write it up for the thread.

11. Enigma256

Enigma256 New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I am just going to use one drive.. I went to fry's they don't carry it on store.. Last time they had it in stock was in april of last year..

Purchased it on line hopefully will get it next week..

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Best of luck, let us know how it goes, hollar if you need help.