Tivo 2 hard drive swap

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by crmndza, Nov 16, 2011.

1. crmndza

crmndza New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    I have two Tivo 2 DVR's both are TCD24004A. I have a belive I have a dead hard drive in my lifetime one. So I swapped out the dead one with the other TCD 24004A. I'm a newbie so patience with me if this question has been posted already..Do I need to clear and delete ? I haven't powered up since the swap? How do I clear and delete ? Will I get past the Welcome screen to access Tivo central?... Thanks in advance

2. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Select -messages and settings- then -restart or reset system- then -clear and delete everything-. I recently asked same question if it was in another tivo you will have to clear it.

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes. You will need to do a "Clear and Delete Everything". This is done by starting at the Tivo Central Menu screen, then select "Messages & Settings",> "Restart or Reset", > "Clear and Delete Everything".

The Tivo will then restart and boot to a screen advising that the process will take an hour or longer. It will then eventually boot up to the initial set up screen("choose location/country").

You will then proceed to set up the Tivo as when it was first used/out of the box.

4. crmndza

crmndza New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Thank you everyone.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you put a hard drive from one TiVo into another of the same model you lose the shows recorded on the drive you move.

Before you assume that your problem is the hard drive, you need to consider the very real possibility that it's a power supply problem.

I can tell you more about that if you'd like.

6. crmndza

crmndza New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Yes tell me more about power supply problems. I swapped out the hard drives and couln't get past the power up window.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm going to assume that the non-lifetime machine is working properly, subscribed or not.

Put its drive back in it. Connect the IDE cable (the 40 pin one). Don't hook up the power.

Check the ribbon cable from the front panel where it plugs into the motherboard to be sure it hasn't gotten partially dislodged. This ribbon cable must be fully and properly seated anytime the TiVo is powered up.

Put the lifetimed machine's drive back in the lifetimed machine. Hook up the IDE cable. Don't hook up the power. Check its front panel ribbon cable.

Take the power supply out of the lifetimed machine, and do it this way.

Unplug the AC power cord from the socket in the back of the TiVo.

Carefully remove the ribbon cable that connects it with the motherboard from the socket on the power supply.

Unscrew the 2 Torx screws, slightly longer than the ones that hold the cover on, and then use some needle nose pliers to sqeeze the 4 plastic standoffs so as to be able to lift the power supply out of the TiVo.

Mark the supply in some way to indicate that it's the one from the lifetimed machine. A sticker or a Sharpie or something.

Remove the power supply from the non-lifetimed machine the same way.

Put the lifetime power supply into the non-lifetime machine.

Line it up over the standoffs, snap it down, screw in the Torx screws, connect the ribbon cable from the motherboard, and plug the 4 pin Molex connector into the hard drive.

Connect the non-lifetime unit to a TV so you can see what's going on.

Plug the AC power cord back in the socket on the power supply board and plug the other end into the wall socket.

Note what happens.

Then shut it down.

Put the non-lifetime power supply into the lifetimed machine, remembering to connect the ribbon cable from the motherboard and the power lead to the hard drive.

Hook it to a television, plug it into the wall.

Note what happens.

I suspect that the lifetime power supply won't work the non-lifetime machine and that the non-lifetime supply will work the lifetimed unit.

If so, we've established that you have a power supply problem.

If you think, great, my lifetimed machine is working again, time to put the cover back on, you're mistaken.

The good power supply will probably develop the same problem.

Go read the wikipedia article on "capacitor plague" and then go to badcaps.net and further educate yourself on how to spot a cap gone bad.

It'll probably be the 2200uF 16V one directly under the heat sink overhang.

Report back, and I'll tell you what to do next.

8. crmndza

crmndza New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Thanks unitron! I have some reading, learning and experience ahead of me.
    Sheding the newbie...I'll get back to you.

9. crmndza

crmndza New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    I did as instructed. I couldn't get past the power up screen so I swapped the lifetime with the non-lifetime hard drive. I plugged it into the TV and got to Tivo central. It's asking me for my password which we entered about 5 years ago and have forgotten..the Tivo says to contact them and report error #51 Any suggestions

10. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Error 51 means you have to clear and delete everything, because drive is from another tivo.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So, the lifetimed motherboard booted up and was able to access the non-lifetime hard drive?

Okay, we've established that you have at least one functioning power supply.

Now you need to take the working drive and the working motherboard and put in the other power supply to see if it functions properly as well.

Do you have anything on the non-lifetime hard drive that you care about, like recorded shows?

Do (or did) you have any shows recorded on the lifetimed hard drive that you care about?

Ordinarily this would be a good time to put a bigger hard drive in that lifetimed unit. Unfortunately the flooding in Thailand wiped out Western Digital's factory and some factories of suppliers to them and other drive makers, so prices are going through the roof.

Best Buy and CompUSA have 2 different model 1TB Seagates on sale through Saturday if they have any stock left in the store, but I don't know if either is a good choice for a TiVo or not, the model number on the box isn't the model number on the drive itself, and all I've got to go by is the box model number listed in the ads.

I'm a bit puzzled by the password thing, I didn't know they had passwords except for the parental thing, and I would have expected a drive from another TiVo to have just thrown up the error 51 and stopped there instead of mentioning a password.

12. crmndza

crmndza New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    There isn't anything worth saving on either hard drive. We're going to call Tivo and get the parental control password.

13. crmndza

crmndza New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Let me update. We contacted Tivo and they gave us a pass word. We then clear and delete everything. We went throught the Guide and overnight we are up and running normally. Thanks you everyone..especially unitron for the detailed steps, ...

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you establish that one power supply is good and the other bad?

Are both good and one hard drive bad?

15. crmndza

crmndza New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    From our tests..the lifetime had both a bad power supply and hard drive.
    because as instructed you had me put the hard drives to their origin..and swap power supplies...in this postion both got to the power up screen but no further. Swapping hard drives at this point got me up and working..So in the lifetime I have the non lifetime power supply and hard drive.

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Plus a pile of junk. ;)

You could probably resurrect the non-lifetime TiVo, but at this point it probably isn't worth it, since it doesn't have PLS.

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as the esteemable Mr. Rhorer in calling it all junk, especially as I may have a use for that power supply once I replace some capacitors in it.

The TCF member who started this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=478837

tivotvaddict, may be in need of a replacement before we get all of her problems ironed out.

18. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Note the smiley in the original post.

One man's junk is another's treasure, although if that hard drive is really bad, or even just ailing, I submit there is no use whatsoever for it once any important data has been extracted. A dead hard drive is almost certainly not economically serviceable, and a dying one is much, much worse than none at all. It is a liability, not an asset.

Indubitably. The motherboard is also probably not beyond redemption, but the value of an unsubbed S2 motherboard is vanishingly low. If it were the PLS unit, it would be a little different matter, but even so, NTSC is withering fast on the vine.

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The value of the motherboard is that if the one with PLS ever goes bad you swap over the crypto chip.