TiVo $19 HDMI FIX!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by SOGLAD, Sep 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SOGLAD

SOGLAD A TiVo NOVICE !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    I have three TiVo Series 3 HD Series receivers. The HDMI Output failed on #2 about 1 year ago. Last month TiVo #3 TiVo HDMI Output failed too! Odd that the TiVo Startup/Boot screens looked perfect, but no HDMI display or audio after booting?!

This leads me to suspect a "Software" issue, but TiVo Tech said HDMI failures are very rare.

The TiVo #2 RCA "Component Outputs" were working fine and thankfully that VIZIO has "Component INPUTS"... I did my best to hide the wad of new cables. In all other respects, my TiVo #2 was working fine and I was soon on the air again...

Two weeks ago TiVo #3 also had a HDMI Output failure! Sadly, that newer VIZIO Monitor has no "Component Inputs"! I didn't want to pay $149.00 for repairs IF WeakKnees even had the parts or would except a TiVo for HDMI repairs? So I found another HDMI solution!

FOSMAN makes a outstanding "YPbPr/Component Converter with L/R" (L/R is the Left/Right Audio)! Installation is super easy... connect your Component RCA Cables to the Converter and your original HDMI TiVo cable connects to the converter too. The Converter is 4" wide and just 1" tall... It includes LED's to affirm it's operational.

In short, I am DELIGHTED with the sharp HDMI performance and the audio sounds great too! Please understand that I have not tested this Converter on any other TiVo models, but I am so impressed that I bought a second Converter for TiVo #2.

Listed on eBay search for: RGB RCA Component to HDMI AV Converter Adapter Box for VHS DVD PS 2 3 Xbox Wii

(292183297105 ) UPC: 879561266114 ("Google Images" will show a photo using the UPC)
    $19.99 including shipping... FAST USA seller too.

I found another Converter (untested by me) WITH the cables attached for $14.99, but shipping from Hong Kong.

So FIX your HDMI problems for reasonable money!

SOGLAD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    jonw747, Mikeguy and fcfc2 like this.
  2. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Good luck because the component output is what failed on my Roamio, not HDMI :).

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Seems he's already accomplished 'his wishes' - there's very likely HDMI to 'Component' if you actually needed a 'Component'!

4. SOGLAD

SOGLAD A TiVo NOVICE !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    Hopefully this 'decodes' for you to: HDMI "One"... Component Output "Zero"?

I was just surprised that two out of my three Series 3 have HDMI failures? I didn't totally assign the failures to 'software' because 'one' has great HDMI out?

Thanks for the input (no pun intended).

SOGLAD

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  5. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan TCF Club

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    I had the HDMI port on my Premiere (2012) go on me in 2013, some 14 months after purchase. TiVO replaced the box for $50 and I watched TV via component output on my Panasonic Plasma until the new box arrived. So it happens but it’s rare.

6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    jrtroo likes this.
  7. SOGLAD

SOGLAD A TiVo NOVICE !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    Teeps, yes indeed my 'fix' does require a Converter, but please do look at the boards AND the skill plus parts required to REPLACE those tiny HDMI CHIPS(s)! This task is extremely intense and demands proper/precision tools and it's really a very time consuming and exacting job!

Teeps, trust me, I've worked with "chip components" requiring soldering and component replacement in aerospace R&D. These parts mounted on a thin ceramic substrate base with gold foil as circuit traces. I think you will agree only a tiny percent of TiVo owners are ready and able to repair boards to chip component level... especially those super tiny USB parts! Obviously, it's not a job "I" would choose to do today...

So please pardon me, but my approach IS 'the fast and easy $19 fix' and the converter addition is a job anyone can do, no skills or skull required. Was that investment worth $19 to me? yup. Also many flat screen TV receivers do not have RGB inputs ~ what then? One of my Vizios has the RGB ports and the second Vizio does not.

The third thing I appreciate about the Converter is that it's easily 'transportable' to another TiVo (or similar 'RGB' device) ~ if need be, like maybe a DVD/BlueRay player? That was a factor I considered too.

Also Teeps, my "PRIME" concern was IF the Converter would perform as well as I hoped it would ~ and indeed it does! After installing it's presence is transparent. All this is why I felt my post is worthy... I hoped others would agree and consider the approach? Hopefully someone will dust off their TiVo and revive it with a easy HDMI fix?

A final revisit of one interesting point... MY HDMI does work as expected when powering up, but not after a full boot? Why is that? Same HDMI output port and HDMI components(?)... So one of my suspicions is a possible software issue? I dunno... same parts, same path, just no HDMI video after boot.

SOGLAD

8. SOGLAD

SOGLAD A TiVo NOVICE !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    WVZR1

Right you are... I see 'converters' offered on eBay that work in the other direction.. that is, HDMI IN and COMPONENT Output ~ so all is not lost if that's one's desire.

EDIT: There are converters that work in either direction~ but not both. That is HDMI IN and COMPONENT Output or COMPONENT IN and HDMI Output.

SOGLAD

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019 at 3:45 AM
  9. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    There is a work around or fix ( I'm content with both) for pretty much most a/v issues if you are willing to Google what you need. Good find!!

10. jonw747

jonw747 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Thanks to the custom installation market, there's always been a lot of solutions out there; but it hasn't always been easy to find ones that are both both affordable and don't compromise the video/audio.

11. SOGLAD

SOGLAD A TiVo NOVICE !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    Yep... your other choice is "Weaknees" at a flat rate of $149.99 IF they accept the job and have the parts?
    I add that after this converter installation the converter is 'transparent' (or) I forget it's there... so I remain SOGLAD I tried this fix. If your Component Outputs are working, methinks you will be pleased too!

POLICY: (In some very rare cases, we are unable to repair certain TiVo DVRs. In those instances, we will either offer you a full refund, or a replacement option (your choice). Customer is not reimbursed for shipping to WeaKnees.)

SG

12. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    I repair micro / mini circuits all the time so fixing the HDMI on board would be a challenge I would accept.

13. SOGLAD

SOGLAD A TiVo NOVICE !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    YO' Sparky1234... wanna fix MY two bozo (HDMI bad) TiVos?? I followed the traces from one of the HDMI Ports and they led to several SUPER TINY chips! No way to know which are defective and for sure ~ the mobo has to be pulled for safe access. I have great respect for your time and patience!

SG

14. ncsercs

ncsercs DirecTivo fan.......

May 5, 2001
    Hinsdale, IL
    Yeah, you're Weakin theknees after getting the bill.........

15. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    and and for many Weaknees is the only option, otherwise they will have a doorstop of a TiVo for which they paid a total price around or exceeding $700 in some cases. no one person can fix all things, and people know they are paying for a service. I suspect that some of the smug post is here who suggest that people are fools if they don't fix their own TiVo are probably the same people who been faced with something like broken plumbing that requires a relatively simple, or just back-breaking filthy work solution, those same people probably shall out hundreds and hundreds or thousands of dollars to a plumber. Yeah, we all get weaknees when we get the bill from the plumber, or the dentist, or the roofer, or the barber/hair stylist (we could cut her own hair for free--the ultimate DIY--but the vast majority of us choose to pay someone else to do it), or the mechanic for a simple oil change or simple brake job. Oh yes, we can all do these things if we're willing to do the simple research and put in the time and labor. Many many TiVo owners would be SOL without weaknees, and like any other service, it is expensive, but is an option to those who feel they need or desire getting their TIVo's fixed and continuing to get value out of the box for which they paid a huge amount of money to buy the TiVo box and in most cases the lifetime TiVo service, and often a fix from weeklies is cheaper than buying a brand new TiVo and the new all-in lifetime service, and the fix is often like getting a brand new TiVo. I've never liked the idea of looking down on people who either choose not or cannot do a DIY for every device that breaks or for every home repair or every Auto fix and repair, and then there are the people who just don't have the time or are too tired after working 60-70 hours a week.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019 at 4:49 PM