TiVo ‘Smart Extend’ Records Sports With Precision

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Oct 3, 2018 #1 of 44
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Dave has another scoop and possibly a reason to upgrade to Hydra.

TiVo ‘Smart Extend’ Records Sports With Precision

TiVo does what the DVR pioneer does best with Smart Extend, an upcoming feature designed to record sporting events with fine precision.

Given the variable timing of live events, TiVo long ago added padding options – to extend recordings by X number of minutes beyond the scheduled broadcast window. But it’s a something of a sledge-hammer approach that requires a certain amount of guesswork. By comparison, Smart Extend leverages TiVo’s partnership with Thuuz (and significant back-end modification to accommodate real-time communication with the TiVo mothership) to smartly stop recording as a game concludes. And you can still throw some padding in there if you’d like.

TiVo VP Ted Malone indicates this feature is expected to be delivered to Bolt, Roamio, and Mini hardware running “TiVo Experience 4” (aka Hydra aka Mira) this year. And I’m hopeful the company finds a way to also apply this approach to other live programming, such as the Oscars and Emmy Awards.

Supported leagues:

• NFL
    • NBA
    • NHL
    • MLS
    • MLB
    • NCAA Football
    • NCAA Men’s Basketball
    • Premier League Soccer
    • CONMEBOL Soccer

Noelmel, tim1724 and cwerdna like this.
  2. Oct 3, 2018 #2 of 44
    bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    The question I have, will this allow scheduled programs that follow a game to record properly?

Noelmel and hapster85 like this.
  3. Oct 3, 2018 #3 of 44
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Dave provides additional info on that front in the comments.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Noelmel, tim1724 and bradleys like this.
  4. Oct 3, 2018 #4 of 44
    kokishin

kokishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    This is great! I record every SF Giants games except the ones that unfortunately are on Facebook Live or whatever they call it. I also record all GS Warriors games and SJ Sharks games.

An issue that drives me crazy with the playoffs is when one network carries back to back playoff games and the first game goes long, so they put the second game on a sister network until the first game is over. Then they switch the second game back to the scheduled network. If Tivo could deal with this craziness, it would be A W E S O M E !

5. Oct 4, 2018 #5 of 44
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Gotta have a lot more benefits before I go to Hydra. I just got a replacement Bolt+ and had to fiddle around on Hydra getting my cable card paired. I was relieved when I was able to “downgrade” to TE3.

pj1983 likes this.
  6. Oct 4, 2018 #6 of 44
    Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    I've always thought it was dumb that Tivo didn't have an option to avoid conflicts between programs on the same channel. That's mainly a problem with sports recorded with generous padding.

7. Oct 4, 2018 #7 of 44
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Why will this be limited to Hydra?

cwerdna likes this.
  8. Oct 4, 2018 #8 of 44
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Good question.

I haven't followed all the Hydra news/status (hate and all) but I wouldn't be surprised if TiVo eventually forces everyone over to it or puts the older UI in basically maintenance mode w/no new features. Want new features? Gotta go to the new UI.

If TiVo has stated their stance one way or the other, I'd appreciate a pointer. I'm out of the loop on this. (Still running my Bolt+ with non-Hydra.)

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Oct 4, 2018 #9 of 44
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've tried Hydra, I don’t like it. I have no intention of upgrading. I don’t watch sports, so while this feature is cool I have no need for it so it's not going to get me to upgrade.

giomania likes this.
  10. pj1983

pj1983 Active Member

Dec 26, 2016
    BFE NoVa
    Now, if they'd consider extending the feature to include "smart extension" of programs delayed by sporting events, I'd consider upgrading.

js90, Noelmel and DrewTivo like this.
  11. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    The article says it will use the new backend architecture of Hydra, so I expect that means you do need to upgrade.

I haven’t upgraded yet either- mainly because the loss of Live Guide. My wife would make my life even more of an unbearable hell than she already does. And, like you I don’t watch sports, so this doesn’t move the needle for me.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This has been explicitly stated by @TiVo_Ted, I believe, on this forum as their plan. Yet SkipMode still was made available for Premiere owners.

The hope, for me at least, is that this feature’s real value will eventually be realized by TiVo in a dependent feature ... auto-adjusting post-live event recordings.

js90 and Noelmel like this.
  13. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Significant plumbing changes required for the real-time polling to make those recording adjustments. I feel pretty fortunate some of the newer stuff has come to the older experience (and even Premiere has gotten some love), so I can't really complain. Having said that, this isn't enough for me to try another Hydra/Mira update. :D After the spring release, I may be ready.

krkaufman likes this.
  14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This isn’t as much of an issue out West as it is in the East.

15. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Approximately 75% of all TVs in the US are in Eastern/Central time zones and wonder if the breakdown of TiVo users is similar.

krkaufman likes this.
  16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    This. I spent quite a lot of time getting the wife to "learn" TiVo. Changing the UI would be unbearable. Either she'd be screaming at me for changing the UI or asking for help every ten minutes, likely both.

I watch sports, but I'm on the west coast so I have very little trouble, I just pad the recording.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I *will* say that SkipMode has been a major plus in addressing the post-live event recordings, at least for prime time overruns, since you can heavily post-pad the recordings and the SkipMode navigation facilitates jumping right to the beginning of the program.

Heck, a suitable solution for me, even absent this new Smart Extend feature, would be for TiVo to first implement the same-tuner overlap fix they attempted once, and then add an auto-pad feature to automatically post-pad subsequent recordings on the same channel following any live event — using a set post-pad duration.

Noelmel, jrtroo and TonyD79 like this.
  18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I *think* you mean what we've always described as -- use a single tuner for all recordings on a single channel. This was WAY worse of a problem when I had only 2 or 4 tuners.. But even with a zillion tuners (6 on one Tivo, 4 on another.. though I for no really good reason have some recordings duplicated on both), it would still be _nice_ so I could have e.g. a live buffer for news even when recording late night talk shows (which usually take all tuners since I add padding on both ends)...

Tivo DID try to add something like this a one point, but did it really really lamely, so there was a BIG BIG GLITCH at the transition point.. People complained, so it went away soon (within a year?)...

Noelmel likes this.
  19. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Wonder why they decided to support Premier League Football. Seems very unlikely that a game would ever go outside the time slot they allocate

20. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    They have a big UK presence, so probably a selling point there, even if rarely used.