TiVo’s TM noises spotted in recent episode of DuckTales (2017 revival)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by EpixAndroid, Apr 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. EpixAndroid

EpixAndroid New Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Newbie here, first post!
    Skip to the 26 second mark, and you’ll hear a very familiar noise:

I’ve never seen the full episode in question, just this YouTube clip. As far as I am concerned, TiVo has trademarked those very familiar noises. To cut to the chase, the US Patent and Trademark Office’s website has a list of “Sound Marks” on their website. Scroll towards the bottom (7th or 8th down), and TiVo’s examples are there.
    Trademark "Sound Mark" Examples | USPTO

2. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    cool. The Simpsons have showcased Tivo as well as others.

3. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Have those patents for the TiVo "bedoops" expired. Disney is very copyright conscience itself, it would be suprising if Disney used it without clearance. Of course, the producers may have not infomed Disney, or the people who Audition all content before it can be aired may never have heard the distinct TiVo sound effects, and let this episode clear to air.

4. coopertwist

coopertwist New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    I think you all have been in isolation for too long.

wizwor likes this.
  5. EpixAndroid

EpixAndroid New Member

Apr 11, 2020
    I’m going to post this on Twitter of the executive producers, because the last thing I want is Disney’s legal department getting a CaD order from them (although I doubt it’ll happen).

6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    You can’t patent a sound. Tivo can trademark their thumbs up sound, but considering a company needs to actively use something to keep the trademark and Tivo got rid of their thumbs up and down mechanism in their latest software, they’ve probably lost the trademark by now.

Even if Tivo still has the trademark, Disney isn’t making a claim on the sound.

Basically there’s a near zero chance of liability.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thumbs still work on TE3 and for those of us continuing to use it. :)

EpixAndroid likes this.
  8. EpixAndroid

EpixAndroid New Member

Apr 11, 2020
    I said trademarked, not patented. You can also trademark a scent, just like Crayola recently did with their crayons.

9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    (Just as a matter of usage, and to impress your lawyer friends:

You don't "trademark" or "copyright" something--you get trademark and copyright rights automatically (to the extent you qualify). Instead, you apply for the registration of your trademark or copyright (the former at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office or with a state office, and the latter with the U.S. Copyright Office), which also gives you extra rights once a registration issues.

:))

EpixAndroid likes this.