Tivi Mini crashing internet access

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by brobin, Dec 10, 2019.

1. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Ever since "upgrading" to TE4 earlier this year my router will lose its internet connection to the cable modem from time to time until one of the Mini's is unplugged. It's not always the same Mini. When we lose internet I start unplugging the Mini's one at a time from the switch and when the offending Mini is unplugged the router instantly reconnects to the modem. Plug that Mini back in and the internet connection is gone within 30 seconds. Tivo has given me a cumbersome procedure to reset the Mini and it may last a while but the problem always returns.
    We travel a lot and when this happens not only does nothing record but I have no access to my home network to access files, cameras or anything else. Short of reverting from TE4 - which means losing all recordings - has anyone heard of this issue and a permanent fix? Worst case, I can put all the Mini's on a seperate switch and turn it off when we travel but that shouldn't be necessary.
    Customer service says I'm the only one with the problem but I don't believe that for a minute.
    FWIW, I have Comcast service coming into my own Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem connected to an ASUS RT-AC1750_B1 router with all ten Mini's and the Roamio Plus connected via Ethernet to a Cisco 24 port unmanaged gigabit switch.

2. sender_name

sender_name I remember XM 202!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    Have you FORCED an IP address for the Mini in the network settings? Your router will assign the mini and IP but maybe this is conflicting with something so try setting it to something like 192.168.1.99...I put all my tivo devices in the fixed IP 90's

3. ramiss

ramiss Member

Jan 29, 2014
    A few things:

1) Are you absolutely sure that the router is disconnecting from the modem? I am not aware of any LAN traffic, no matter how ridiculous, that would disconnect the WAN side of a router. If that is truly the case, then it may in fact be your router.

2) my house has 6 minis connected through MoCA adapters to our router and every now and then some or all minis lose internet connection. Resetting the minis one at a time until the culprit is found will cause the others to connect again.

However..... When this happens to me:
    1) my router is still connected to the modem. I can still access the internet from all non-mini devices.

2) what seems to be happening is that the culprit mini is causing the others to lose their DHCP (ip address). Not sure how exactly, perhaps it is spamming the MoCA network.

3) it is very frustrating.

4) my theory is this is DHCP related. Possible workaround that I haven't tried yet... Set all minis with static IPs.

So, our issues seem similar, but apparently not related. You should show this post to Tivo and point out that others do have these issues, we just know that Tivo support is useless and won't provide a fix. The proof is the many posts over the years that minis freeze up when streaming (Hulu especially) with no fix. I just reset my mini every few days to thwart off the memory leak.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Good thought! I do that for my webcams but haven't for the mini's. Certainly worth a try. Until TE4 I never had that problem in the 4 years they've been here. I just wish TIVO would acknowledge the issue and fix it. I'll switch them to static IPs and see what happens. I can go weeks or months with no problem so it may be hard to know if it helps right away.

sender_name likes this.
  5. sender_name

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    I have TE4 and a mini and a mini vox. Old school mini couldn't find the host bolt until I forced static IP's and then rebooted the BOLT

6. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Absolutely sure. From a PC in the house I can log in to the router and instead of seeing the WAN IP it says Disconnected. Within seconds of unplugging the offending Mini the WAN IP appears. If I plug the Mini back in, within 20 seconds the WAN IP changes to Disconnected. In my 30+ years of IT experience I've never seen anything like this and wouldn't have even thought it possible.

7. ramiss

ramiss Member

Jan 29, 2014
    That is weird indeed. Almost the exact same symptom as me, like the minis are blocking DHCP , but for you it's on the WAN side.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. sender_name

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma
    Your mini shipped with a ddos virus that's attacking your own router :) If you look at your routing and assigned IP's are there any conflicts? I really think the only thing that could do this is if you forced the same local address to multiple devices...

9. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    In my case there were no double entries. I've excluded the static IP groups from the DHCP pool.

10. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    DAMN! It happened again today with a different Mini. At around 9AM we lost internet. Started unplugging cables for the Mini's one at a time from the switch and found the culprit. They are all set up with static IP addresses now but that didn't solve the problem. TIVO still has their head in the sand and customer service won't escalate the issue "because no one else is reporting it."
    We're going to be away for the next couple of weeks so I'm putting all the Mini's on one 16 port switch with nothing else and my home automation system will turn it off when the home is in "vacation mode" so my network will stay alive. The Roamio Plus will stay plugged into a different switch so it'll still record shows.
    In the 6 years I was running TE3 this never happened even once but under TE4 it's a constant aggravation. When I read the Dilbert comic strip I imagine that he works for TIVO. Incompetent customer service or maybe they just don't care. As much as I like the autoskip feature (which is the ONLY thing I like about TE4) it's looking like the only fix is to revert to TE3.

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Sounds like you need to wireshark your Minis and see which one is bombarding the router with packets that cause it to freak out. Another thing to try is to load alternate FW on the router such as Merlin. See post #3 in this thread for details.

DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - Asus RT-AC1750 - New/locked down version of RT-AC66U?

I have an older AC68U running Merlin with 3 Minis on MoCA and no issues. All of them are DHCP, my Roamio Plus is the bridge.

12. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions. I used to use Merlin but reverted to factory FW to take advantage of the AiMesh feature. I'm using two RT-AC1750_B1 AiMesh routers for seamless coverage throughout the house. The thing is that the Mini's behaved themselves under TE3 but not under TE4. If I used Wireshark I don't think I'd see much unless the Mini went into "freakout" mode. Here's the thing though. When a Mini freaks out the intRAnet still works fine. IOW, I can use my PC to connect to the router's homepage and see the WAN status which I watch as I unplug each Mini from the switch. Within 10 seconds of unplugging the offending Mini, the router shows the WAN connection restored. Plugging the Mini back in kills the WAN connection within about 30 seconds.

13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    So downgrade to TE3, not like you're losing anything other than auto-skip (which can be done on TE3 with kmttg) and you don't get their stupid ad rollout. You can offload all your recordings with kmttg before you downgrade and not lose anything.

Or beat your head against the wall with TE4.

14. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I didn't know about kmttg. That sounds like a great solution - I'll look into it. Thank you!

15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Another easy download-first solution: pyTivo Desktop. (And it can be used to re-load the shows after as well.)

16. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Thanks, I'll look at that too. I started setting up kmttg earlier today and it's copying all my recordings now. Does pyTivo have autoskip too? Is one "better" than the other? Appreciate the guidance!

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Kmttg has way more features. pyTivo Desktop, in my opinion, is much easier to use.

18. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I like easy. Does PyTivo have auto skip? Couldn't find anything about it at the site or on github.

19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Nope--pyTivo (and esp. pyTivo Desktop) really is for the easy downloading and uploading of shows. For more "complex"/specialty matters (e.g. downloading and re-loading thumbs, Season Passes, etc.), I'll move to kmttg.

20. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Thanks for that info. I'll spend some time learning kmttg before reverting to TE3 to make sure I don't cause myself more problems. The AutoSkip is the only reason I "upgraded" to TE4 so if I can get that with TE3 I'll be thrilled. In the meantime, I'll still move all the Mini's to their own switch tonight and go through the procedure of setting them up again. Oddly enough, TIVO has a procedure to fix (at least temporarily) a problem they won't acknowledge exists!