Titans (DC Universe) Season One Thread - Spoilers OK

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Amnesia, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I really enjoyed the pilot episode. After spending the past few weeks watching a lot of the DC Animated Universe shows, I was kind of shocked at the gratuitous violence of Robin's attack (gratuitous on Robin's part I mean---it made perfect sense for the show).

I liked the actors and the special effects as well---and the production values were surprisingly good...

One thing that I found surprising was that the series is set in Detroit. I recently had a conversation with a friend about how DC comic series tend to take place in fake US cities (Gotham, Metropolis, Central City, etc) while Marvel comic series take place in real US cities...

2. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I really liked it too! I went in with REALLY low expectations, and it exceeded them greatly. I like all the leads so far (except for Beast Boy, who we haven't seen enough of to get a read on). The level of violence surprised me quite a bit too, but it fit with the show.

3. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Apparently DC wants to make it really hard to watch this. I tried using the DC Universe app on my Apple TV and despite working when I first installed it last month, it continuously froze on launch, even after uninstalling and reinstalling. I then tried using the Chromecast built into my Sony TV from my iPad, but the picture quality was pretty poor and the controls kept freaking out. Finally I switched to a Roku that I rarely use and that worked well and the picture quality was actually good, so I watched the first 2 episodes on that. Still it shouldn’t have been that hard and I don’t know what people who own only one streaming device would do.

All that out of the way, I enjoyed both episodes. People say that DC is too dark, but it worked well here. I think I liked episode 2 better, which ended on a bit of a cliff hanger so I’m looking forward to next episode.

On a side note, there doesn’t appear to be any 5.1 audio. Is that the case?

4. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Enjoyed the 2nd episode a lot more than the first.

5. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Episode 3. Really enjoying the series so far.

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was very surprised how much I like this show. I knew nothing about Titans or Teen Titans before watching the first episode. I really hate the fact that it's on its own streaming service.

7. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    It’s hard to believe there’s only one more episode left this season. I’m really enjoying this series. It’s really well done. The DC Movies should hire the Titans writers.

The finale preview makes it look like the finale will be epic. I can’t wait.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, for a show that looked frankly pretty bad in advance (I compared it to fanfic), it's been amazingly good!

9. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Agreed! This was a REALLY enjoyable season.

10. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    So I’m way behind. I haven’t watched it since the Doom Patrol episode. I gather by the last few comments it’s worth watching the rest of the season?

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think so, definitely.

12. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Wait, this is GOOD? Crap, I avoided it due to the Starfire Costume, and "F Batman" line.

13. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I think the trailer was designed to show that this is not a family friendly show, which it is definitely not (though no where near on the level of something like Game of Thrones). That doesn’t make it bad though. Quite the opposite.

14. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    How is the Starfire costume?

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Most of the time she looks like what a low-end hooker thinks a high-end hooker looks like. There have been a couple of flashbacks where she's wearing something more like the comic book costume. I assume there will be a story behind how she got from that to this!

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I never watched or even really heard of Teen Titans before watching this show. I just did an image search on the Teen Titans Starfire to see how her cartoon costume differs from this show's costume and boy, do people have dirty minds.

17. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The finale was an awesome episode, but even though I was expecting it, damn this show for ending the season on a cliffhanger. Now I can’t wait for season 2 which based on the after credits scene looks like it will include Superboy and Krypto.

On a semi-unrelated note, Doom Patrol is getting its own series on Feb 15.