Tip for new Fall Season Passes

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by jonbig, Sep 13, 2007.

1. jonbig

jonbig New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Set up a Wishlist for Category/Show Types/Series Premier and set it to autorecord.

You'll have to trim back your TODO list quite a bit after you do this, but by watching your TODO list, your TiVo will automatically let you know when that brand new Fall Series starts so you can set up a Season Pass for them.

You can do this for Season Premier as well if you're missing SPs for existing shows.

I already caught Chuck and Journeyman this way.

2. BigT4187

BigT4187 WDW Nut

Jul 24, 2006
    GSP Exit 17
    It works even better if you spell "premiere" correctly. Sorry.

3. PaulS

PaulS Active Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
    Or you can simply subscribe to TiVo's own 2007 Fall TV Guru Guide that does the same thing : LINK

4. GiantBeer

GiantBeer New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    The 2007 Fall TV Guru Guide does not have all the premiere's, does it add them once they are in the 14 day window?

Right now the list is mostly summer shows and includes some series premieres as well as season premieres. Also, the Tivo guide only picks up the first show too. If you don't watch all the premieres right away you might miss the second episode.

If you do a wishlist, does season premiere work as well as series premiere?

5. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I think i use "Pilot" works well in most cases.

6. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    What I do is this:

I grabbed the grid data from the futoncritic website and dumped it all into word. I then use a highlighter on the shows I plan to record. This stays by my TV for a few weeks. The grid looks like this:

[​IMG]

I then create an excel spreadsheet. I keep the spreadsheet with my grid.

My first worksheet is my "general SPM order" worksheet. That looks something like this:

[​IMG]

And finally, I have another worksheet in which I reorder the shows by premiere date order. Then every 1 or 2 nights I look at that sheet and add the upcoming shows into my SP list as the guide data becomes available. I then cross off shows as I add them to my SPL.

This worksheet looks like this:

[​IMG]

I know a lot of people do wishlists so they don't have to think so much before the shows start to air. I prefer to be a little more manual upfront. Then I don't have to worry about converting from ARWLs to SPs (of course you don't have to do this).

Anyways, if anyone wants my Excel file for format purposes for you to put your own data in, let me know. I would be glad to send them your way.

EDIT:

I have attached a zip file with my grid and excel sheets if anyone wants to use them.

Attached Files:

7. PaulS

PaulS Active Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
    I believe it does.

Well, that's what Season Passes are for. Watch the premiere, if you like it, SP it. If not, delete it.

8. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    DirecTiVo's have a wishlist category for "Season Premiere".

Why standalone TiVo's don't have this, I don't know.
    Unless it's buried somewhere, I searched and searched on my S3 for it and couldn't find it.

phox

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    No they don't. This came up a couple months ago when TiVo sent out one of their regular e-newsletters, and had this same tip in it. After a barrage of questions like "Huh?", they realized it wasn't on the newer TiVos, and issued a retraction.

I do something similar to jlb. Create a grid, spreadsheet it, add 'em to my SPs, and then (if they're on ABC or FOX) wait a few shows before I watch to see if it gets axed quick. :D

10. jonbig

jonbig New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Not very useful for those of us with DirecTiVos.

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I keep a word document with two weeks worth of the grid. I go through using Record by Channel and thefutoncritic to update the grid, hi-lighting any conflicts and then organize my season pass list following the grid. I mainly do this just for primetime and shows that only have two airings or so. I have found it works well for me.

12. Jeshimon

Jeshimon New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Thanks for sharing your workbooks.

13. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    This link has been broken for the past two days (for me at least). I just returns "Sorry, but we encountered an error while processing your request. Please try again later." Has anyone else been able to get in to it?

14. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  15. PaulS

PaulS Active Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
  16. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Weird, it's working now ... but I swear it wasn't before! :confused:

Thanks.

17. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    No prob. :)

18. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...

OMG! How do you have time to watch all these shows!!! :eek:

19. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Yeah, I realise that is not a tremendous amount of work and would be fun to play with but I am not that into TV. I mainly check the Futon Critic at this time of year to see when things are premiering and check reviews in my daily newspaper to see if stuff is worth watching.