TIOS TV - Limited to 7 devices

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by AbMagFab, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 26
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Well, I just found out the hard way, FIOS TV limits you to 7 "TV's", but they really mean devices.

So one S3 w/ 2 CC's = 2 devices. I have 2 S3's, and just got a TivoHD, and have a couple STB's. That puts me over 7.

I'm working with them to get this resolved, but it's a bizarre and really annoying limitation. If anyone has suggestions for getting past this, please post here. So far, they are sticking to their guns (or telling me I need another fiber drop to my house, along with another account, which is rediculous).

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 26
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    I don't find it ridiculous at all. Have to guarantee that you'll receive a great picture on all of your tv's, putting it over 7 devices can probably cause you to possibly lose the great signal.

Tell them you'll sign a waiver releasing them of any fault if your picture somehow goes bad due to the lack of bandwidth.

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 26
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    That does seem ridiculously low in today's society. I only have one TV, but could easily use 4 "devices" on that alone. Most people have more than one TV and will surely use up that "allowance" pretty quickly if they want digital programming.

4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 26
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    How would one cable into a TiVo with 2 "devices" make the signal worse than one cable into a TiVo with 0 or 1 "device".

5. Aug 2, 2007 #5 of 26
    TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA
    Thanks for the heads up as I have been waiting for VZ to turn up FIOS TV in my area as I have had FIOS data for 18 months now!! I would be well over the limit and as I have 3 S3s and 4 S2s units, as well as a few other analog connections (e.g. Slingbox & Kitchen TV). So, I'd be over the top as well with 12+ devices.... They would hate me and I would hate them :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 26
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    But does the limit include analog devices too?

7. Aug 2, 2007 #7 of 26
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    No, it does not.

Within a few months, most FiOS offices will have MCARDs, eliminating the need for two CableCards on the TivoHD. One MCARD does the work of two 'S' CableCards.

Once MCARDs are available, you can have 7 TivoHDs in your home and an unlimited number of analog TVs / S2s.

8. Aug 2, 2007 #8 of 26
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yep. the trick for now is to get them to count each TiVo with two cable cards as one device

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 26
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    That's what I figured. Still, 7 devices seems a bit on the low side for the future. But I'm guessing that will be upped.

10. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Isn't FIOS actually video over IP? So each individual tuner would take up the same bandwidth, M-card or not.

11. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    No, it isn't. FiOS is a QAM system - or else it couldn't use CableCARD and wouldn't work with the S3 or TiVo HD.

12. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    FiOS only uses IP for guide data and VOD. For channel delivery, they use a 860MHz QAM system.

Verizon expects to deliver some FiOS channels using IP in the next three years, mostly niche SD channels (foreign language channels, possibly some sports subscriptions). This is effectively an IP version of SDV. FiOS has no plans to use IP for HDTV (other than VOD) with the existing Motorola boxes.

FiOS won't take a serious stab at IPTV (or HD via IP) until they deploy the next-generation STBs and DVRs with MPEG-4. These new MPEG-4 STBs and DVRs haven't even been designed yet -- Verizon is taking bids from manufacturers for boxes to be delivered in 2H 2009 or 1H 2010. Even after these new boxes are deployed, the existing QAM system is expected to stick around for a few years as Verizon swaps out boxes and ONTs. Verizon hasn't decided exactly how they will do this, but at some point, possibly 3-4 years from now, they will provide incentives for customers to switch out their old boxes.

If you buy a TivoHD, you've probably got a good three years of use before Verizon adds any HDTV channels with IPTV that you can't get with a TivoHD via QAM, and it will probably be five years or more before they take away anything you get in three years time with the TivoHD.

13. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I don't think it is bandwidth related at all. They are likely rationing their equipment since they are signing up new subscribers like crazy. Comcast did the same thing years ago with DVRs.

14. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    For FIOS, there are only locals on analog, so for S2's, you really need a cable box. As a result, yes, it includes all cable boxes.

Once you get FIOS, you really can't use pure analog anymore.

15. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    By that logic, all cable companies should limit the number of TV's. That's cooky. And FIOS has a much stronger signal right at the house than anyone else, since the fiber comes to the house.

And you can't do anything to get around the 7, as far as I've learned. Their ordering system has a hard limit of 7 - there's apparently no way around it.

(And M-CARDS will only be useful when the S3 supports them. I - and most others - don't plan to replace their S3 with TivoHD's.)

16. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    No kidding. I always thought they transferred the video over IP instead of broadcasting it, and then changed it to QAM at the customer's location. Nice to learn something new.

Still 7 is a pretty large number, I can't imagine too many people need more than 7 cablecards or STBs.

17. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon

Which was my original point. Just how many tivo/dvr's does one need?

18. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It is likely the number of access devices they can have on their authorization system, per customer. Why that number, I can't say. Yes, M-Cards will fix that situation.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    As many as simultaneous shows they want to record.

Though in the past few years I've started just deciding not to watch something if it conflicts, there have been times, usually during sweeps, where there were 5 things on at once I wanted to watch. I think there were times it was actually more than that, but the "more than that" shows were ones that would be repeated soon (i.e. cable or PBS)

20. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Right now, with current technology (FIOS only uses S-CARDS), that's 3 Series 3/HD Tivo's, plus one STB. That's not very many TV's.

7 is a pretty smally number, especially when they are limiting us to S-CARDS.