Tin Star - mind blown

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Lee 2.0, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Nov 2, 2017 #1 of 15
    Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...

Advertisements

Tin Star: Tim Roth, Christina Hendricks, Christopher Heyerdahl, Oliver Coopersmith which is a name I won't be forgetting anytime soon

The acting will kill you. The cinematography will kill you. Tim Roth will definitely kill someone. Did I miss the thread on this show?

Amazon Prime, 10 episodes, "Season 1" which we hope is foreshadowing

Tin Star (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb

2. Nov 2, 2017 #2 of 15
    DaveMN

DaveMN Curmudgeon, Skeptic

Nov 14, 2001
    Minnesota
    You had me at Christina Hendricks. :)

3. Nov 2, 2017 #3 of 15
    Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...
    Right? She’s fantastic, as always, and she kind of gets to slay her role in Justified with her role in this. It’s pretty great.

4. Nov 2, 2017 #4 of 15
    Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I don't remember her being in Justified.

5. Nov 3, 2017 #5 of 15
    Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...

Advertisements

You know what, I can’t find it on her filmography either. Must have been her twin

Nevermind, she’s even more fantastic in this now.

6. Nov 3, 2017 #6 of 15
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maybe you're thinking of Alicia Witt, another red-haired beauty. She was in Justified.

I plan to get to Tin Star in the next couple of weeks. Roth is such a great actor.

IDSmoker likes this.
  7. Nov 3, 2017 #7 of 15
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I haven’t heard of this before now, but I assume it’s a western about a sheriff?

8. Nov 3, 2017 #8 of 15
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Thanks for the heads up. I was looking forward to this and didn't realize it had been released already. Reviews aren't great but I've come to be rather distrustful of reviews in the modern era because they almost always review only a few episodes and have to guess what that means for the whole season. I described this as "Lie to Me is a sheriff in Canada with Christina Hendricks" and she was quite interested but said that sounds like a really strange show. OY!

9. Nov 5, 2017 #9 of 15
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Eh. I'll give it 3 out of 5 stars. I'll spoilerize my comments

I thought all of the major characters in this series were despicable human beings. Christina Hendrick's character may be the only exception. I held out hope for the daughter but she turned into a total moron as the episodes went by. I thought Whitey was basically a waste of film and mainly served as a mechanism to stretch this out to ten episodes. I wanted to ffwd through his scenes starting when he was depicted as a murderous psychopath in the beginning through the time he spent as a whiny crybaby in the second half of the series. Jim/Jack was just a total a-hole. There was no way I could sympathize with that character in any way due to his actions in the present. Even if his daughter didn't shoot him (a cheap cliffhanger, by the way), he should spend the rest of his life in prison for murder, torture and being a lousy cop.

One thing really bugged me. It didn't make much sense for the three women to try to cover up Gagnon's death. It would have been easy to prove that he was out to kill at least one of them and they acted in self defense. That, and Christopher Heyerdahl's French Canadian accent was terrible.

10. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Watched the first two episodes yesterday. I did enjoy them, I've always liked Tim Roth. But, I don't know: there are a lot of episodes left for what I don't foresee as a ton of plot so I wonder if it will bog down in the middle (maybe there are lots of interesting twists, I dunno). Also even so far there are some hard-to-justify behaviors. But, I'll stick with it as I have time; it's definitely still on the list.

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I give it the same rating but for totally different reasons. I didn't really understand why any character was doing what they were doing during or even after. They all acted strangely and illogically and it totally took me out of the moment sometimes.

I agree with you about Heyerdahl, though I'd say it was actually quite good in some scenes - just bad most of the time. Maybe depended on who was directing.

12. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Tried to watch it several weeks back. Couldn't get through the first episode. Glad you liked it, but certainly not for everyone.

13. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    Bump...

Season 2 is now on Amazon.

14. Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    These are the reasons I turned this show off with disgust.
    Just so utterly predictable and dumb with the daughter and the overall idiocy, too much good tv to watch garbage. Edited to complain more, the totally predictable back to drinking crap was utterly cringe worthy as well. End rant.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  15. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Watched the first 2 and I'm out.

It's just really dumb. Predictable characters doing predictably dumb things.