Timeless S01E03 10/17/2016 "Atomic City"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrdbdigital, Oct 18, 2016.

1. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA

Advertisements

Timeless is playing a little fast and loose with our atomic bomb testing at the Nevada Test Site.

In the latest episode, "Atomic City", our motley crew goes back in time to September 24, 1962, where they observe above ground bomb testing off in the distance, explaining that during the nuclear tests, people would flock to Las Vegas to watch the explosions, thus earning the city the nickname of "Atomic City". The only problem with this is that the last above ground test explosion was on July 17, 1962, thus before their arrival in 1962.

Also notice the typewriter being used by the Western Union clerk. The model is clearly an IBM Correctable Selectric II, which was not put on the market until 1973. You can easily see the orange correction ribbon spool. They couldn't find an original IBM Selectric, as introduced in 1961? They're not that hard to find.

Nitpicks, but sloppy ones, IMHO. Of course, I guess we could explain away these minor errors by saying the timeline had been changed by their previous exploits? :D

A lot of the switch panels in the original time ship seem to be labeled in Russian Cyrillic. I love that the time ship has a bilge pump. :)

2. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
  3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Well, they have changed the timeline for things that happened after the Hindenburg.

4. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Well if you really want to nitpick, how about when it was said that crashing the two cars would cause them all to be blown up? All that was stolen was the nuclear core - which will not explode on its own without a detonator.

5. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA

Advertisements

This also isn't the first series to forget that the Department of Energy didn't exist until President Carter created it in 1977.

And I have a feeling that plutonium core is going to be used for something besides a bomb. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't having a critical mass of plutonium in a ball like that cause the explosion to happen? I thought that the whole point of the bomb was to force two or more pieces of uranium/plutonium together to form a critical mass.

6. GAViewer

GAViewer Member

Oct 18, 2007
    The bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima used the technique of slamming two sub-critical pieces of uranium together to create a critical mass and therefore atomic explosion. But the bomb dropped on Nagasaki was an implosion type bomb, a core of sub-critical plutonium is surrounded by several thousand pounds of high-explosive designed in such a way that the explosive force is directed inwards thereby crushing the plutonium core into a super-critical state. The Manhattan had two groups, one for each type, because they weren't sure which type would work. Turned out both types did.

The implosion type bombs are more efficient i.e. a higher percentage of the matter is converted to energy. So after WW II all atomic bombs were of the implosion type. So in 1962 that would be the type of bomb they were getting the core from.

My problem with the story is that plutonium is highly radioactive, so just being near it without some shielding would very dangerous.

7. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    But Max Headroom was wearing long rubber gloves, so he was protected. ;)

8. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    It's ok, he had gloves on.

9. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    It can't be too radioactive. After all, that kid in the movie "The Manhattan Project" made his own core of plutonium in that high school storage area, and he never got sick. :D

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Plutonium 239 is a little bit radioactive but a whole lot poisonous, so the gloves are probably a good idea. After that, we take leave of reality altogether. Plutonium is twice as dense as lead; picking up a ball that size would be very difficult. But that is beside the point, because the plutonium core of a bomb exists as a sphere only for microseconds before it explodes; it's not a solid object that you can extract from the bomb and carry around.

Now I understand why the excellent show "Manhattan" was cancelled; obviously nobody watched it!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I thought it was only our travelers who referred to the Department of Energy... So it's not "the series" that forgot, but one of the characters. That seems fine to me...

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Except wasn't the character who referenced the DoE existing in 1962 the one who is supposed to be the historical expert?

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm a historical expert, and I have no idea when the DeO was created... ;)

14. loubob57

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    IIRC your historical period of interest was a few years before 1962. ;)

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Does she even have a period of interest? She seems like one of those TV experts who is an expert in everything, not just one field...paging Daniel Jackson! :D

16. GAViewer

GAViewer Member

Oct 18, 2007
  17. loubob57

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
  18. Fahtrim

Fahtrim Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Missouri
    Stargate! Win

19. loubob57

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I also noticed she seems to be a veritable know-it-all. But that's what the script requires. :)

20. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Too bad Wyatt isn't as good a hand-to-hand fighter as she is a historian...