Time Warner digital cable receivers compatible with tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by CaptainStupid, May 23, 2006.

1. CaptainStupid

CaptainStupid Chicken Pot Pie

May 14, 2002

Advertisements

Howdy,

When I originally purchased my DirecTV equipment a few years ago, I bought it from a vendor (i may have found that vendor in the directivo forums here, can't quite remember) who knew quite a bit about tivo and was able to sell me a DirecTV receiver that worked very well with my original series 1 tivo. The tivo used a special cable (IIRC it was 3.5mm stereo mini jack to a smallish telephone, rj11 style connector) to control the directv receiver and it performed MUCH better than the old style IR blaster.

I've since ditched directv and now have good ole' time warner analog cable, which of course works fine with my s1 sa.

However, I'm considering getting digital cable and I'm wondering if any of you know of a receiver that Time Warner uses that is capable of using the 'advanced' channel changing features that tivo supports (read: NOT ir blaster). If so, how did you go about getting that receiver? Is it possible to request a specific model from time warner?

Thanks,
    Stupid

2. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Here's a thread about cable/satellite boxes and their compatibility with TiVo(s).

3. terryfoster

terryfoster TiVo Pioneer

Jul 21, 2003
    Dayton, OH
    Generally TiVo is not compatable with connecting directly to TWC cable boxes due to the lack of a serial port on the majority of TWC boxes. I believe the serial port was created for D* boxes. HERE is a thread that speaks specifically about enabling serial support on cable boxes.

4. CaptainStupid

May 14, 2002
    Thanks guys, although the responses are kind of disheartening.

Is IR control better than it used to be? Or is it still slow and useless?

5. terryfoster

terryfoster TiVo Pioneer

Jul 21, 2003
    Dayton, OH

Advertisements

IR control is slow and useless if you're talking about channel surfing, but that's not what owning TiVo is about. The IR blaster worked very well for me on both cable boxes I used, I don't think I missed an episode due to channel changing. I did miss a few shows due to the box being off.

Realistically you can use your cable box remote if you really want to channel surf (if you don't build an IR tent).

6. CaptainStupid

May 14, 2002
    Well, that's encouraging. The one opprotunity that I had to try out IR control on a satellite box (not the one mentioned in the original post) it was just plain faulty. Surfing was obviously slow, but it also missed 10-20% of the IR commands and ended up on completely wrong channels. Maybe that was more of a symptom of a crappy satellite receiver and less of an indication that the technology sucks.

7. bitTraveler

bitTraveler New Member

Mar 3, 2002
    West U., Texas
    I use serial control on a Time Warner Motorola DCT2000 here in Houston. I'm sure it's YMMV depending on location, but Time Warner does support serial control (firmware) in some areas.

bit

8. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    When I used to use a replayTV to control a TCI cable box, it used to miss some commands here and there. I found solutions on line where you can mess with the detail settings in IR such as length of each IR command, and delay between them. Slowing the commands down fixed the problem of cable boxes not picking up IR commands correctly. Hope you can do the same for Tivo.

9. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    The only cable STB compatible with serial control is the Motorola DCT2000 and only if the Cable Co enable the feature. As bitTraveller posts above TWC do use this box in some locales so ask for that specifc model and check to see if it has a DB9 connector on the back.

10. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    Me too - in the Houston area - using serial cable with no problems.

Jim

11. cbordman

cbordman PP-ASEL

May 14, 2001
    Holly...
    For IR control, I set my cable box up in the back of my entertainment center, completely out of view. I don't recall ever missing a channel change.