Time Warner - Dallas - Tivo HD Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by toddeades, Aug 11, 2007.

1. toddeades

toddeades New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Ok there I was, I see the Tivo HD went on sell and I buy one, I then call Time Warner to setup an install and it's almost a month away that they can fit me in on a Saturday. (Stupid new job).

So by the time I do the install I'll be on day 29 of the return window.

I'm going from DirecTivo (which I've had for 4 years and have had very little trouble with) to Time Warner Tivo HD.

So my number one concern is that with this switch I don't downgrade my current service.

So it's my understanding that the Tivo HD will be able to display analog cable changes with out the CableCards working and the pixelation problems are only occuring with digital cable changes. If this is correct then I should be able to watch and record (2 at a time) channels 1 - 99 (Basic and Expanded Basic) on the channel lineup.

Am I thinking right? So worst case - The cards don't work or I have major pixelation problems I'll still be able to get the basic analog channels.

Thanks for your help.

2. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Correct, it will display the analogs without the cablecards. And it doesn't look bad either!

3. littlelibo

littlelibo New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    I live in dallas and just had my cablecards delivered. First thing you should know is that the techs they send have little to no experience with cablecards. The dispatchers they call in order to activate the cards are even worse. I will say that they will keep working however until you get success. The trick is for you to be educated before they arrive.

The second thing you should know is that the cards they brought to me were all motorola m-cards. The cards have stickers which say "1-way", but they show in the tivo as multi-stream. This is great, it means you will only need one card (if your experience is like mine).

My experience was painful, but ultimately successful. The didpatchers were the problem... The cards would work, but certain channels would not come in. It took about 6 hours, and 5 cablecards (all of which I know believe were totally fine). Finally, one of the dispatchers cleared my account totally and set it up from scratch and viola... I know am enjoying TivoHD paradise...

Good luck...

4. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Same here - a lot of pain, a lot of frustration, but ultimately very pleased now that it's all done. I was really sweating it for a while, thinking I'd made a big mistake in leaving DirecTV...but all is forgiven! :up: