Time/Warner cable, No waiver

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TexasGrillChef, Jul 17, 2007.

1. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

Time Warner cable did not receive an FCC waiver to the July 1st, 2007 requirments from the FCC.

Time Warner Cable has enough inventory in their systems to supply new customers as well as previous customers with DVR's and STB's that don't meet the new regulations. Since current inventory is exempt from the new regulation.

For the Dallas/Ft. Worth area metroplex. Time Warner won't be providing units that meet new regulations for this area until current inventory has been significantly reduced. Time Warner informed me that they estimate the need for the "NEW" boxes to be around March of 2008.

This is inside information that I obtained from a Time Warner executive in the Dallas Fort Worth area metroplex.

Current inventory of the Moto DCT6412 is expected to remain in service in the DFW area until at least March of 2009. When DFW Time Warner will switch to a complete digital cable system and discontinue use of analog cable.

Currently DFW Time Warner is in the process of system wide upgrades and improvements so that new features & services can be provided to it's users.

When these upgrades have been completed their is a plan to add an additional 28 channesl of HD service to our area. As well as improved DVR service.

Now... the real question & concern I have. Is....

Will this change? Who knows, More than likely it will.

Just put this out there cause I thought you all would like to know.

TexasGrillChef

2. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
  3. matthewwhite

matthewwhite New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    it's my understanding that they can NOT put a non cable card box in ANY new install.

they are not permitted to use old inventory they are just allowed to keep current customers on the old boxes.

any new customer who calls MUST get a cable card box or NO box is the way I understood the requirement to read.

4. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    I asked him about that as well.

Even he said he wasn't for sure exactly what it meant and be up for "legal interpretation".

I guess the stand that TWC is making is that they are allowed to continue using current Inventory, however any new STB or DVR puchases they make have to be of the NEW style that needs cable cards.

The way you describe it would leave a loop hole for customers. Cancel service, Then obtain new service the next day with a "new" box.

That I beleive is the reason TWC as well as others are taking the "interpretation" that they can use their current inventory even with new customers.

Either way. DFW area doesn't have any of the new boxes in inventory to give out. Even if you are ARE a new customer.

TexasGrillChef

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...

Advertisements

We need the experts to chime in (dt_dc) but my understanding is they can recycle old inventory as much as they want and to any customer (new or existing). Otherwise it seems like quite a huge burden on the provider and likely would mean delays for customers to get new boxes (because of inventory issues). The only hard restriction (by my understanding) is they cannot order boxes without removable security any longer.

My provider (Cox Orange County, CA) is already distributing the DCH series Moto boxes with removable security in addition to the older DCT series boxes - you can still get either one.

6. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Than't for sharing, that's good info.

IIRC from conversations around here, the exact language is "no new deployments", so the legal wrangling is that when is a new box "deployed" when it is placed into inventory for issue, or actually issued out to a customer. The "issued to a customer" seems logical, but TW DFW seems to think that they're on safe ground. It'll be interesting to see if the FCC slams them or not. :)

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    That is an interesting interpretation that anything in inventory can still be used.

The interpretation by Comcast seems to be quite different. Their actions (and private communications) have indicated their interpretation is that as long as a box had been deployed to the end-user before July 1st, it could be reused and given to new or old customers (even if that box had been only deployed for 1 day), however brand new never deployed boxes sitting in a warehouse could not be deployed after July 1st.

Their actions indicate this is their interpretation because:
    1) Comcast started giving away most of their boxes like crazy, DCT-700s, Pace DVRs, and even DCT-6200 HD boxes about 1-2 months before the July deadline. By giving away, I mean free for a year, or $1 for a year.
    2) Comcast has raised all their equipment charges, purportedly because of the immediate expense of the new CableCARD equipped boxes they are now required to deploy
    3) Comcast has stocked up on DCH units and M-Cards in anticipation of July deadline.

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I have no proof either way, but I thought that "getting it out to people" is the reason Comcast (at least around here) gave away cable boxes/PVRs for a year. I got a free one of their crappy PVRs (currently unplugged) just to compare it to a Tivo.. Wow.. the VCR-like PVRs are even better than it.

9. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    The FCC specifically prohibited "stockpiling" receivers prior to the ban. If TW/DFW has enough systems in warehouses to meet demand through 3/08, then they have clearly violated the FCC mandate and should be fined heavily -- enough to make them physically bleed. (Prohibition style... FCC shows up at the warehouse(s) with a wood chipper and destroys every one of those receivers.)

They cannot purchase integrated receivers, however they are free to continue deploying their existing stock -- returned from customers as well as those still in the box. Logistically, who's to say a box has or has not been used by a customer?

10. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Either way, TW DFW isn't deploying nor does it have any of the new DCH box's in inventory to deploy at this time.

All I do know, is that he said the inventory for the DFW area is still large enough that they are not expecting to accept any new equipment deliveries until after March 08.

Does anyone know how we would report this to the FCC so that they can investigate any violations that TW DFW might be violating?

TexasGrillChef

11. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    that 3416 looks alot nicer than my current 3416. same specs as mine but no cable card slot and no cable modem built in on mine.

12. jlib

jlib Lean Forward

Nov 21, 2002
    Carmel...
    What about The Dallas Morning News? Let them do the investigation. ;)