Time Warner Cable, Dallas, & Serial Ports

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Joe Siegler, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1 of 48
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Time Warner Cable Dallas has deactivated the ability of Motorola boxes to work with serial?

This morning my Series 2 was working fine, recorded Meet the Press, but when I went to tune in to TBS for the Phillies / Brewers game, it stopped working. I have not touched the box or the cables since they were installed.

I have zero idea why this would just stop working. I tried rebooting the TiVo and the Motorola box, then power cycling both, as well as running through the troubleshooting in the TiVo software. No dice.

As of sometime on October 5, 2008 between 10AM and 2PM I lost the ability to use my serial connection to change channels. If it's a fault in hardware somewhere, I can understand, but I was looking to see if anyone knows of TWC Dallas forcing something down the pipe to deactivate serial ports.

Edit: I also tried in the afternoon calling in to TWC and using their automated system to "refresh by box". No change. :(

Thanks.

2. Oct 5, 2008 #2 of 48
    kster

kster New Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    I'm in Dallas and I'm having the same problem. I called TWC earlier today and the rep. insisted that it was a Tivo issue and not with them. I first noticed the problem on 10/4 between 10-11pm. Suggestions, anyone?!

3. Oct 5, 2008 #3 of 48
    ab3tx

ab3tx Smoky White Devil

Mar 12, 2006
    Redstone...
    Same problem in Plano. Happened sometime before noon today. I guess we're going to have to go to IR control. :(

4. Oct 5, 2008 #4 of 48
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    If I could afford it, I'd buy another TiVo HD and send them their box back.

Every cable company blames it on TiVo - I've yet to hear one of them take responsibility for themselves.

5. Oct 5, 2008 #5 of 48
    kster

kster New Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.

Advertisements

The rep at Tivo just told me that it's a firmware upgrade with Time Warner that's causing the problem. 'round and 'round we go.

6. Oct 5, 2008 #6 of 48
    ab3tx

ab3tx Smoky White Devil

Mar 12, 2006
    Redstone...
    I've been thinking about doing that anyway, and this just might push me over the edge. Would you happen to know if M-cards are available locally yet? Also, what is the pricing structure for cable cards (S- or M-)?

No reason for 'round and 'round. It is without a doubt a TWC problem.

7. Oct 5, 2008 #7 of 48
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    I have a Tivo HD in the living room. It has an M card in it. I think I pay $2.50 a month for the M Card (and $5.99 a month for the Motorola box). I will also add this. The installer that came out to do my work had ZERO CLUE on what to do with it. He claimed he had no idea what a TiVo was, and told me he had never done a Cable Card install before - on ANY device. Ouch. I did all the work myself, save for calling in to activate the Cable Card.

If I wouldn't have to pay another $250 for the TiVo HD and then another couple hundred for lifetime on top of that, I would in a heartbeat get another one. I just simply CANNOT afford that now. I've blown my budget on gadgets for quite some time.

8. Oct 5, 2008 #8 of 48
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    Here's a couple of screen grabs I took off the TWC menus.

On the first one, I tried with both "RF Bypass" off (default) and on - no dice. (I didn't know what this did, so I took a stab at it).

On the second one, the Message and Status were constantly changing - that was not a static piece of data. No clue what it means, though.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Oct 5, 2008 #9 of 48
    kster

kster New Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    Yeah, I've been getting the same thing. If they've blocked the serial port (which they probably have) the only way to get things working the way they were before is to convince someone there to open it back up.

Maybe y'all will have better luck than I did.

10. pfowler

pfowler New Member

Oct 5, 2008
    I am having the same problem as well. Something that I noticed that may coincide with my troubles - Channel 2 has some odd message about Daystar being moved to 350. It would not surprise me if TWC has changed something and it is screwing up Tivo.

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Does TW replace broken boxes for free?
    If so, call and complain that their boxes are broken. That they no longer function as they used to. Do that with every subsequent box that doesn't function right.
    Eventually they will have to admit that they did something to alter the functionality of the box.

:D

12. lyrxst

lyrxst New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Allen, Texas
    I have two Series 2 Tivo's and neither work with TWC's Motorola's anymore via the serial port. TWC clearly disabled the serial ports and when I called the reps had no clue what I was talking about. Are these people actually trained or do they read from a script. I bet they are told to ignore the subject. At one point I even asked them to pull out the manuals for the Motorola's to show them the port in the diagrams and they said they didn't have the manuals. Of course while holding for a supervisor they eventually hung up on me, it seems when the questions get too tough they just hang up.

13. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Here is what I have found out from my contact at TWC.

They just did a firmware update to their box's. This is probably causing the issue. As they haven't ever officially supported the "Serial" connection on their box's, they haven't intentionally closed the port either.

Since they haven't ever officially supported the serial connection as a feature of their DVR's, they aren't going to put any resources into fixing the issue either. They will be doing several more firmware updates between now & the end of the year to allow for updated channel lineups & new features coming soon to the DFW Motorolla DVR's.

eSATA support is coming soon for the TWC DVR's.

TGC

14. newfriend37

newfriend37 New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Called in and of course the persn had no idea what i was talking about, but the person next her was on the phone with another angry user. The other call rep informed mine that it had been turned off nationally and then offered to sell me one of their DVR's (total crap). I have already sent a complaint and will call again tomorrow.

15. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    I remember that kind of crap when I was back on cable before going to DirecTV some years ago. That's why I love my TiVo HD box. None of this "double device" nonsense. As I said above, if I could afford, it, TWC would get back their Motorola box, and I'd replace it with a TiVo HD box. The Cable Card fee is only $2.50 a month, where the Motorola box is $5.99.

I never even attempted to call to talk to a person - I know better than that. You have to get to like Level 2 or (more likely) Level 3 tech before someone has a true clue what is going on. By the time I get THERE I'm so damned mad at customer service I just want to swear at them, so I don't even bother.

Bleh.

16. JTvo

JTvo New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    It happened to me sometime between 9 a.m. and 12 noon Sunday morning. I don't think TW's organized enough to do it on purpose to force customers to their DVRs. After all, they've never seemed to have a plan before.

Maybe the next firmware upgrade will restore the serial port option. I hope so for all their Tivo users. We were already planning to switch to DirecTV next week. This is just another nail in the coffin as far as TW goes.

17. jrewingwannabe

jrewingwannabe New Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I have the same Motorola cable box with a Tivo Series 2 with TWC in Dallas - 75219.

The problem time lines you described happened to me as well. It's very frustrating since I've switched to the IR Blasters since and I've already noticed that it missed a few programs when incorrectly switching channels (as those IR blasters are known to do to time to time)...

This is extremely frustrating but I have some small comfort knowing that it's just not me. I hope, but doubt, that TWC will eventually fix this or a solution is presented soon. Having to use the IR blasters sucks, but no where near as bad as having to be forced to use TWC DVRs.

18. Cajun

Cajun New Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Having the same issue as others, but I can change channels using my serial hookup except for 3 digit channels (HBO etc) I have no problems with other lower channels. Anybody else this happening to?

19. kevo777

kevo777 My TiVo Gets Me

Oct 22, 2007
    Plano, TX
    I live in DFW with TWC and on Saturday night I too could not change the channel with Series2 box and non-DVR cable box connected thru serial. I rebooted Tivo box but quickly fell asleep. The next morning everything was back to normal.

20. newsmark

newsmark New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    I'm having the same issue. I have two TiVos, both connected to TWC's Motorola boxes with serial cables. Channel-changing on BOTH quit over the weekend.

TiVo says they haven't done any upgrades. TWC's rep told me they don't upgrade these boxes anymore.