Time until program guide is updated?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Greg_R, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Greg_R

Greg_R New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Portland, OR

Advertisements

Verizon Fios in Portland recently complete a major channel change (3/4 of the channels have new numbers, now we have 4 digit channels). How long does it take for Tivo to release the new guide data? I re-did guided setup to download the new program data but the new channels were not pulled in. Has anyone else experienced this problem? (verizon is doing this slowly across their Fios service areas).

BTW, my HDTivo froze up for about 4 hours on the "wait" screen after I had selected the local channel that corresponded to what I was viewing (part of guided setup). I left it there overnight and it came out of it and I was able to complete guided setup. My series 3 box did not exhibit the same issue. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone else is having that issue. Just leave it on overnight and it will eventually get to the next screen (when you download the program data).

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    IME, it take about 3-5 business days for a change to make it to the DVR.

3. FiosUser

FiosUser Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Over in the S3 forum, people are complaining about this too.

One guy has had it going on for 2 days now.

Tivo passes the buck to Verizon saying that Verizon "didn't notify them in time."

However, Tivo is the one that dropped the ball here. Tivo needs to fix their problems. It isn't up to Verizon to notify the world about it's changes--only it's customers.

Come on Tivo! Get with it. When my channel lineup changes here soon, if my Tivo has the wrong data, you are going to be giving me a pro-rated refund one way or another.

4. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Gilbert Arizona
    The same thing happened to me this morning. Is there someone at TiVo I should notify to get this resolved?

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

TiVo is just a middle man in this. TiVo does not create their guide data, they purchases the information from Tribune Media Services. The only thing TiVo can do about it is push Verizon to send the change to TMS, who then has to actually make the change before Tivo can pass it on to the consumer.

Empty threats are funny.

6. FiosUser

FiosUser Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I pay Tivo, and Tivo is responsible for getting the data to me. I don't care what the underlying problem is, Tivo is responsible for giving me the data and not telling me that it is someone else's problem.

I don't know what empty threats you're referring to, but if it has anything to do with the way Tivo passes the buck then you're correct--it is funny.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    If you say so.

I'm still laughing at that one.

I really do hope that you are eventually affected by this problem. I wouldn't want you to be getting your panties into such a wad for no reason at all.

8. rcji

rcji Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Long...
    Verizon in NY here just happened today with the new channel line-up and new hd channels. My guide has yet to be updated as well on my tivo's. My tivo series 2 and HD works 100% but the guide is incorrect now.

9. FiosUser

FiosUser Member

Nov 16, 2007

10. wkc

wkc New Member

Oct 26, 2001
    New York,...
    Yea, same here in Long Island, NY. My FIOS got the new changes 3 days ago. I submitted a ticket to Tivo on that day and we still have yet to get the corrected guide data.

I received a Verizon letter about two months ago saying the new changes effective on July. I guess I should have forward that letter to Tivo if I knew this would happen...

11. rcji

rcji Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Long...
    I called tivo today and they said the company who does the guide wasn't told by verizon that the channels were moving so it didn't happen. They said it should be up by Monday. I just tried to repeat the guided set up on my tivo's and the new guide was installed on them. It will take a while being you have to go through the steps again but that seems the only way for it to work now.

12. wkc

wkc New Member

Oct 26, 2001
    New York,...
    Excellent! As long as there is a way to get the correct guide data, I'll do it.

It's a big hassle to remove the wrong ones and set manual recordings for all the stuff that I want to record. Let me try it now.

13. wkc

wkc New Member

Oct 26, 2001
    New York,...
    Just FYI, repeat the guide set up got me the updated channel lineup now!! (It still wasn't working even with the repeated guide setup yesterday) Thanks for the info!

14. alexander123

alexander123 New Member

Jun 1, 2002
    What zip code are you in?

Maybe I will try that same zipcode, and see if it works for me,
    since they haven't updated my zipcode yet.

15. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Your real zipcode should work. Double check and I think you'll find the "new" stations where they belong. The real confusing thing is they haven't removed the original channels. As I mentioned in the other thread check channel 502. If you get WCBS-DT then you've got the new lineup - or at least part of it.

Edit: For those with a S1 or S2 check channel 180. If it's SciFi then you have the new lineup.