Time Traveler seeking Pioneer DVR-810-H Lifetime

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by jwillis84, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Dec 1, 2019 #1 of 14
    jwillis84

jwillis84 New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    It seems these boards aren't well traveled these days.

But I've been looking into the Tivos that once had DVD recorders. The choices are pretty sparse on eBay right now and I was wondering if the Last of the Last is finally gone, or if there is still a hope that one could find an 810-H with Lifetime (or Tivo Basic Plus Lifetime?) at this late date.

I've been lucky enough to acquire an RS-TX20, RS-TX60 and Humax DRT800 (but it only has the DRT400 image, I wish I could find an MFS of the DRT800 that supports broadband).

I must say the Toshibas are (very) interesting and "fun" but the Humax not so much, as similar as they seem. Oddly the Guided Setup on the Toshibas was the hardest to get to update and then complete the Guided Setup. But the Humax seemed the easiest to get to update and then complete the Guided Setup (fingers crossed it remains so..)

So with the Toshibas out of the way, and backed up. I've been looking at the Pioneer 57-H and 810-H the Tivo Basic is interesting.. but I think I'm looking for the versions with Broadband support in their drive software and the Lifetime subscription.

I'm a little new at this, so I hope I don't sound too gratingly stupid.

My interests are both from curiosity with regards to SD video, and because I'm converting many of my Dads old VHS tapes from SD video to Digital files.. and the TivoToGo feature in Toast and Tivo Desktop seem to still work pretty well. He passed away about ten years ago trying to convert many B&W movies that never made it to DVD to digital files.. and its a way of keeping him in my mind working on his project.

Anyhoo.. I'm posting just in case.. and to rack up posting points towards (ten) so I can PM someone who might still have MFS recovery images.. or who might know more about this stuff than I do.

2. jwillis84

jwillis84 New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Well.. success.

I found a Pioneer DVR-810H-S with Lifetime and got the ownership transferred.

This brings my collection up to two Pioneers, two Toshibas and one Humax. I also have a Tivo HD with Lifetime.

Honestly since Verbatim sold all their manufacturing kit and brand, I have not tried burning DVDs. But the Tivo Desktop works great for offloading video from the Tivos to the PC. I don't have a Tivo Desktop Plus key however.. so I can't try going the other way.. from PC to Tivo.

Toast 11 on the Intel Mac Mini however works good both "ways", it can download video from the Tivos to the PC and push video from the Intel Mac Mini to the Tivos converting it to .tivo format along the way.

I've noticed a deficiency between the Tivo HD (Series 3) however. Off air broadcasts which are HD will play on the PC but not on the Tivo (Series 2) models.. all I get is a blank picture with sound. I guess its not surprise. But honestly I'm just fooling around.. its interesting to see how flexible all this was ten years ago.

"Classic Tivo" is Amazing, even today.. and perfect for converting VHS tapes or anything that has s-video out.

The EPG is also quite Amazing in this day and age.. I never did Windows Media Center much.. but have a few activated LRM-519 devices to play with.

3. Jan 5, 2020 #3 of 14
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Have you created backups of the Pioneer, Toshiba and Humax drives yet? There have been requests for backups in the Upgrade forum to help revive units where the drive has died.

Scott

4. Jan 5, 2020 #4 of 14
    jwillis84

jwillis84 New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    No

I haven't done that yet.

Well.. I have but.. as raw disk images. I don't think those count.

I've been studying (how) people prefer to back these up and some variant of WinMFS seems to be the most popular. But I'm not sure which one would be the most stable or preferred. If you have a suggestion it would be helpful.

To be clear these are the models I have and that are working and have Lifetime (not Basic, full Lifetime.. so TiVo to Go, Desktop ect.. work).

As of 2020-01-05:

Pioneer DVR-810H
    Pioneer DVR-57H
    Toshiba RS-TX20
    Toshiba RS-TX60
    Humax DRT400
    Humax DRT800

They are updating from Rovi via USB to Ethernet adapters.

I have tested with Mac OS X Toast 11 - Tivo To Go
    I have tested with Windows 7 TiVo Desktop Plus 2.8.3

Uploads and Downloads To and From the TiVos work

Transfers between TiVos work

The one odd thing was they will not request and use an IP address provided by modern DHCP routers. I have to use the "self assign" option in the setup menus, fortunately they pick an unused IP address from the local lan and work just fine after that. They figure out the correct Gateway and DNS service providers... so I wonder if the Tivo software mislabeled the setup options.

Before figuring this out they would attempt to connect to Rovi and report various failure codes.. which made no sense.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  5. Jan 5, 2020 #5 of 14
    HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I would create backups with both WinMFS and DvrBARS so you have both formats.

Scott

6. Jan 5, 2020 #6 of 14
    jwillis84

jwillis84 New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Thanks

I don't know DvrBARS.. will google immediately.

Any particular versions for each?

7. Jan 6, 2020 #7 of 14
    tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Congrats. I still have mine though don't use it much. Think I have a 400GB IDE drive in it. The DVD recorder is nice. I use/used a re-recordable DVD which worked great. I can transfer from the 810 to my later model Tivos (on TE3 classic interface). And yes, you cannot transfer any HD shows to the 810 (or any other Series 2 Tivo) as S2 does not support HD.

You know I tried a USB/Ethernet adapter for fun. But it actually ended up being much slower than the USB wireless adapter (the Tivo wireless G adapter). Someone at TC mentioned why but I don't remember the reason.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  8. Jan 6, 2020 #8 of 14
    jwillis84

jwillis84 New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Interesting.. I have both but have never done a speed comparison.

Thanks for the tip.

I was mostly interested in the S-Video Input feature of the TiVo and fell in love with its full featured-ness for the time period.

DVD writable is a cool idea.. but blanks are getting so hard to find these days they seem more like a passing fad.

9. Jan 7, 2020 #9 of 14
    jwillis84

jwillis84 New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Successfully backed them all up.

I used:
    DVRbars 1007
    WinMFS 9.3f beta

Made sure the TiVo's had been connected to TiVo for Guide and Service Updates as of yesterday 2020-01-06 using a Linksys USB300m ethernet over broadband connection.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

I'm still learning about TiVos and the online community, especially for Series 2 & 3 TiVos. If there is a community sharing resource for images, or a standard way to help other users. Guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  10. jwillis84

jwillis84 New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    I tried the M.2 sata SSD in the 2.5 sata to 3.5 sata converter with a Marvell sata to ide adapter. It worked.. smooth as glass.

DVDbars found it and restored the backup to it very quickly.

Put it in the DVR-810H and booted right up, updated.. I experienced no problems.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  11. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That's great. The upgrade forum is where most of the discussion on drive upgrades and requests for images are.

TiVo Upgrade Center

There a couple of people that have most of the images and supply links to them on request via PM's. It has been a while since I've seen a request for these models but you might search that forum and see if there have been any in the last year.

Scott

12. jwillis84

jwillis84 New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Doesn't look like any requests in the last year.

13. lyokian159

lyokian159 AV-Junkie

Jun 28, 2017
    I would love to have those images in case i ever need them :)

14. daniel4ever

daniel4ever New Member

Jul 10, 2020
    I am new here, and trying to solve my current recording problem. I have a VCR (please don't laugh!) that is slowly dying and really all I want to do is be able to record programs and then watch them on the same TV while I exercise. We have Verizon cable, and already pay an arm and a leg to them, so I do not want TiVo service, but a friend told me about the Pioneer DVRs that have free TiVo, which sound perfect for me. I think I found one, but it says: "MUST HAVE INTERNET MODEM AND CONVERTER BOX." Does anyone here know what that means, and involves? And, do I really need that, if all I want to do is plug the thing into my cable box, and set a time for it to record? I do not need it to search for programs, I know when the stuff I want to watch is on, so can I just use it like a VCR and timer set it to tape from 8-9 pm on a certain Wednesday, for instance?

I appreciate any help you can give me, and please remember, i am new and so will likely ask dumb questions.