Time to sell my Bolt Vox 1TB

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by David B Gregory, Nov 21, 2019.

1. David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I called Tivo today asking them to offer me the $99 annual plan. I use this tivo at a seasonal residence on month to month basis for 4 or 5 months a year. I felt this would lessen the hassle. They said no, so I said cancel the service. I have been using an Amazon Recast at my other property for 6 months now and although the software has some wants with a firestick it works great and allows me to remotely stream NFL which has always been a problem on the BOLT. Time to put it on ebay and say goodbye to Tivo

2. My Cape is a Recliner

My Cape is a Recliner Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Do your thing: BUT, a no contract monthly plan is $20 a month, (so $80-$100 for 4-5 months). An Annual plan is $150.
    First, why are you special that you get to demand 1/3rd off?
    Second, doesn't TiVo do black Friday pricing? Can't you wait a week?

3. David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I am not special but you can always ask. I use the Tivo for OTA the bolt OTA price is $6.99/mo however they left MOCA out of that box and I would need to buy a new Tivo Bolt OTA, Companies that have a level of flexibility stay in business. Amazon Recast has no charges so I will be saving money by dumping Tivo. The technology while ok is not that great anymore.

4. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Or even stop service the other 7-8 months a year..

Sgtbert likes this.
  5. My Cape is a Recliner

Oct 5, 2019
    Oh, well in that case, if it was me, I'd be posting it up in here. Isn't that about the same price going for an OTA with lifetime?

Well not an even trade with lifetime, but you could still probably trade up or down if that was what you wanted depending on if it had lifetime service included. You may have to sell it, but after fees, and if that's your intention, I would start in here. Especially if you were willing to trade for a different model (not sure if the differences matter).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  6. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Why not pay the $15 per month when in use then cancel and restart next season? 4 months a year would be $60.

7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Who pays $20 a month? Isn't $14.99 the highest monthly price?

8. My Cape is a Recliner

Oct 5, 2019
    It says $15 a month is with an annual commitment. $20 a month is with no commitment. $15 a month is the same deal as annual, but you pay an extra $30 a year for making payments.

9. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Sorry to see you go but IMHO TiVo is worth every penny. It's a company you hate to love! ;)

Willy92 likes this.
  10. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    That should only be the first year. You already had it a year, correct.

11. David B Gregory

David B Gregory Member

Feb 25, 2018
    That is what I did this year, however going back north at thanksgiving and Xmas I have a functional tuner but no dvr I purchased a recast on sale already have fire sticks so no need to take my minis from FL. No monthly fee and can stream when in FL. Much better option. I only hope Amazon continues to improve UI.