Time to replace Series II-with what?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Kerry, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 10
    Kerry

Kerry New Member

Apr 23, 2002

Advertisements

What to replace dying Series II with?

I've had my AT&T Series 2 w/upgraded 180GB HDD for about 6 years. Lately I've been having Standby problems and so far have recovered by unplugging-replugging. The symptom is that it pauses after the final "almost there" and leaves the screen blank and the buttons (both remote and base unit) non functional.

I've been out of the loop so to speak so I don't know what's available as far as a replacement. HD too expensive. The Time Warner's Scientific Atlanta recorder, via my cable company, TV guide menu sucks.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

With aloha,

Kerry

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 10
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The $300 TiVo HD is too expensive?

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 10
    Kerry

Kerry New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    AAh, did I say out of the loop, should have said, off planet. Last I read HD's were around $700. $300 sounds good.

Does the monthly fee change? Mine is 12.95/month to month no obligatory contract.

Thanks,

Kerry

4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 10
    purefct

purefct New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Anaheim CA
    Don't kill me, but I've had the D*V HD DVR with dual tuner for about six months now. You can buy them for $100-$200 now plus service and aside from losing my Thumbs ratings I'm in love! OK, some of the search features aren't as good, but other search features are better. And the HD is awesome! They recently added the skip back feature where if you're fast forwarding and press play it will back up a bit.

5. Aug 2, 2007 #5 of 10
    Kerry

Kerry New Member

Apr 23, 2002

Advertisements

I sure like the idea of a dual tuner. Monthly fee same for HD?

Where "You can buy them for $100-$200"?

Re: "They recently added the skip back feature where if you're fast forwarding and press play it will back up a bit." That's great. I had always used the dbl speed rather than try to skip commercials using the triple speed and miss the very end of the ad.

Thanks, Kerry

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 10
    Spiff

Spiff Pawn in game of life

Mar 1, 2004
    Fox Cities,...
    Kerry, you can get a $300 TivoHD from Best Buy, then go to "Manage My Account" on TiVo's web site and transfer the monthly service from your old unit to the new one. No commitment, no increase in rate.

7. Aug 2, 2007 #7 of 10
    Kerry

Kerry New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    That's great. I'll check that out later, here's hoping they don't charge Hawaii (96778) extra for the cheapest/slowest shipping.

Is the one your're referring to the same as the the one purefct has, with dual tuners, or do all S3s have dual tuners?

Kerry

8. Aug 2, 2007 #8 of 10
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    All Series3 units have dual-tuners - the original S3 and the TiVo HD (which is in the S3 family).

They handle antenna (NTSC and ATSC) and cable (analog and digital), including CableCARD.

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 10
    wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Seeing as the OP has Cable and not Sat, its a waste of time talking about the Directv HD DVR's unless the OP wants to change to Sat.

The only options for the OP, apart from their Cable Companies Crappy DVR's and in HD are the Series 3 and TivoHD.

10. purefct

purefct New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Anaheim CA
    Go to the DT website and click on "Buy Now" near the upper left, or click here
    https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/wizard/buildYourSystem1.jsp

Scroll to the bottom, just before the bottom the service is $70/mo reg price with all the channels (Incl HD) or $100/mo for all the channel plus all the non PPV movie and sports channels incl HD (which is what I have) and a HD DVR for $200.

When I log into my account online I can do the same thing ... add a HD DVR for $199 which includes a 5LNB dish and free installation. I paid about $250 OTD last April for my first HD DVR with shipping and if I added another today it is priced about $220-$250 OTD.

The listing when I'm logged in says there will also be a $9.95/mo service fee added. But I looked at my recent bills and this is not quite how it works. The $70 or $100/mo already includes this $9.95 fee. But if you have a second, third, etc unit, all the units after your first one will incur a $4.99/mo fee.

Any of you who consider changing to DT, contact me! I just noticed that if I refer you to DT you will get a $50 credit and I will as well!