Time to jump ship?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tazzmission, Nov 30, 2017.

1. tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...

Advertisements

I know it's not just me, but I am growing tired of TiVo. The Rovi take over made things worse, not better. Guide data and show images are wrong a good bit, among other things. I had hoped that the release of the Hydra UI would change my perception of TiVo. But it has made my desire to leave that much greater. I have had a ton of moca issues with the older not Hydra TiVo software on my Bolt + and first gen mini's for so long I just gave up and run straight Ethernet (which I should not have had to do). When the Hydra UI became available I jumped at the chance to get it and purchased two new Mini Vox's to go along with it. My hopes were dashed quickly as I was presented with issues getting the connection from the bolt + to the new mini's to work over moca AGAIN!!! The UI is an unfinished beta at best. It is so much the un-TiVo IMO. They have removed so much of the TiVo experience that I just don't like it. I've still not gotten used to the excessive use of the back button. The way the UI is laid out is just so unfriendly. And the biggest issue of all is the WIFE HATES IT. I am sure it will get better over time and I know I can revert back to the old UI (which has moca issues for me) but I’ll loose all my recording. But I think I might be done with TiVo.

I've been looking at getting two HDHomeRun Primes and using my Apple TV's running the Channels app as well as Plex DVR. Is anyone in this community running this and can you provide any experience with it?

If anyone is doing anything else I'm open to other options as well including cutting the cord and going with a Streaming Service like PS Vue, Sling, YouTube, Hulu etc...

I might even get the FiOS STB's when their new next gen DVR is released which I think is going to be soon. This is a last resort as I feel like there equipment fees are too much on top of what I already pay for services.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. jcrandall

jcrandall Member

Feb 8, 2017
    I've only used Tivo for about 8 months but Hydra grew on my quickly. They've had a couple updates in the past week, RC9 and RC11 or something like that, but it will hopefully help with stability. I just got the Amazon app on my Mini Vox units today. I imagine in another month the Hydra / Mini Vox launch woes will be distant memory (except perhaps the challenges with pairing the remote - that still seems way too challenging and I hope it isn't a hardware limitation).

I used a HomeRun prime briefly for about a month and it seemed pretty clunky and the interface was slow at times. Never used Channels or Plex.

I debated about going streaming with PS Vue or Directv but we use too much bandwidth with Comcast 1TB limit (due to the kids using streaming most of the time), so I've accepted that the cable double-play for TV and Internet is by far our best solution. Plus, for about $110 a month I get both, though I would be paying $50-$65 for internet alone, so it isn't much more than a decent streaming package.

Anyhow, as for Tivo, the interface will get more stable and better, but if you don't like the interface you can always roll back.

As to MOCA issues, that sounds like a config / setup issue? Did it work well previously and now isn't? When I first started I had to upgrade a splitter to get one that works well with MOCA and change a bit of wiring to remove other splitters entirely. Each Tivo / Mini now is a home run back to the one splitter that runs the whole house, with six Tivo feeds and one to the cable modem. Also the filter on the line going out of the home is important to moca.

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    My Moca issues were that I would get v87 errors on the Mini's all the time. No errors on Ethernet. I did everything I could to fix it, several new splitters, new cable runs to the rooms, POE filter, etc. Nothing worked to fix it other than not using moca at all.

I had the remote pairing issues too on both Mini Vox's too. I eventually got that sorted but I don't remember what I did exactly. The remotes would not work as RF initially, only IR. I got them to connect via moca too after initially getting them setup via Ethernet and they work fine now with no v87 errors with the Hydra UI. I am pretty sure I am only on RC8 still. I wil lcheck when I get home.

My issues with Hydra are the UI though. I just don't like it. I thought I would get used to it, but I have not as of yet. I DO NOT want to roll back because I will loose all of my recording if I do so.

As for steaming services to replace the cable TV... You don't really save any money with these. I have FiOS and we don't have any bandwidth caps (yet) so I could try PS Vue or one of the others but if I switched I would not be saving anything. I pay $150-ish now for TV and 150Mbit internet with FiOS. Less if I dropped my channel package down a tier or two. But my wife would loose some of her channels if we did that, and we would only save a $10-$15 a month.

4. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    I spent the month on November trying three DVR's side by side. DirecTV HS17 server and C61K mini, TIVO Bolt VOX with Hydra on Comcast and the Comcast X1 Arris DVR. We much prefer the TIVO Bolt VOX over the others.

I ended up dumping DirecTV after 14 years. Just couldn't justify the cost any longer and promotions are harder to come by since AT&T took over. Also their HS17 system is slow and laggy. Promised 4K programming never appeared. Only one channel with a lot of reruns and an occasional sports event on another. Also most of last year when you would change to a 4K channel from a HD channel you would lose sound. Buggy software.

The Comcast X1 guide drove us nuts. Only 5 channels listed, difficult to scroll through and no way to set up favorite channels without listing duplicates. Also DVR functions were slow and not as smooth as TIVO.

Happy with Hydra so far and ordered two Minis. Wish costs were less but hoping to keep the new set up for many years.

aaronwt likes this.
  5. Imageek2

Imageek2 Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Riverside, CA

Advertisements

I have a Roamio OTA that I have feeding multiple TVs through a whole house HDMI system. Because of various issues I decided to look for alternatives as well. I purchased an Apple TV 4K, an HDHomerun Connect, and am running Channels and Plex using a Mac Mini as the server. I have been running the setup for about a month on a single TV that is connected wirelessly. My other TVs are still on the TiVo but I can move the ATV to them to use or test.

Channels has a live TV app and a DVR function which are separate. I am using the DVR so most of the comments here will be about that because that is a direct comparison with TiVo. Channels works well. It was easy to set up on both the ATV and the Mini. It recognized and uses the HDHomerun flawlessly. The user interface is fairly simple compared to TiVo, but it gets the job done. They have a commercial skip function which works well 99% of the time. Channels has a 90 minute buffer but it is only live on one tuner at a time. If you switch tuners you lose the buffer, If you exit the Channels app you lose the buffer. They don't have a video window in the guide, and if you go to the guide you lose the buffer. The best practice seems to be if you think you might want to do anything and return to your show record it first. This seems to be a limitation of the ATV protocols and not Channels, so it might change in the future depending on what Apple decides.

The FF/RW functions work well, I am using the ATV remote. The scrubbing function is cool.

There are no ads on Channels.

The developers of Channels are VERY responsive to issues or questions.

My wife doesn't like change but is getting used to Channels and the ATV.

Channels is not a plug it in and turn on the TV solution. It requires a server/NAS/backend device of some kind so some level of expertise is needed in that area.

I am also using Plex for my music, and I have been copying programs from my Roamio to the Mini to have in Plex. I wish there was a way to put them into Channels but that isn't possible.

So far I like the ATV, Channels, HDHomerun combo, and would have no problem if I had to/wanted to ditch TiVo for it. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

6. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    I will never go back to DirecTV, ever!!!

Phil T and aaronwt like this.
  7. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The streaming services I've tried had less than a full slate of my desired channels and didn't allow for commercial skip even on recorded shows. Try them out before making a permanent change.

8. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Sounds to me like the OP is considering using the Channels app on Apple TV for live TV and Plex for DVR. (BTW, Plex just added a feature to remove ads from DVR recordings.)

I've read that if you use the Channels DVR service ($8/mo), it will automatically add your recordings to Apple TV's "Up Next" queue, which aggregates content from several major apps (Hulu, HBO, Showtime, etc. -- but not Netflix). I like that idea, as it serves as a handy single place to track (almost) all the shows you're currently watching. (The Amazon Video app will reportedly support Up Next when it comes to Apple TV any day now.)

Anyone know if Plex DVR recordings likewise get automatically added to the Up Next queue on Apple TV?

9. tazzmission

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    I have a home server using Unraid right now that has my Plex server running on it. So I will be using that if I decide to test out an HD Homerun/Plex scenario. I may ask you some questions once I find a used HDHomerun Prime for cheap. They are $130ish new. If it works out, I'd add another Prime so that I have 6 tuners. I'm amazed they don't have a 6 tuner consumer solution now other than that rack mount option HDHomerun does for bars etc...

10. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Here's a super-handy website that lets you see which channels (including locals) are available from which providers in your zip code, with pricing. Unless you live in one of the top ten markets, you'll probably find that the live streaming services (PS Vue, etc.) are missing at least one of your "big four" locals. Suppose... you could design your perfect TV service

If avoiding ads is really important to you, you should know that Hulu with Live TV and YouTube TV both replace your DVR recordings with on-demand versions if available. And some of those on-demand shows have forced ads. There's no way to avoid this with YouTube TV. With Hulu with Live TV, you must upgrade to both the "premium DVR" for an extra $15 (expanded storage, plus the ability to FF through ads in recordings) PLUS the ad-free on-demand version for an extra $4. AFAIK, PS Vue does not replace DVR recordings with on-demand versions and you are always allowed to FF through ads for no additional charge. DirecTV Now will roll out cloud DVR soon (likely 1Q18); no word yet on how it will treat ads.

As for FiOS, it sounds like their next-gen TV plans are in disarray right now. From this summer until a couple weeks ago, they were beta testing a new all-IPTV version of FiOS, with new STBs, remotes and a revamped UI. But for whatever reasons, they pulled the plug on it. They've also been talking about launching an OTT streaming service (similar to AT&T's DirecTV Now). There's rumor/speculation that they may end up somehow combining the projects for next-gen FiOS TV and OTT, as AT&T appears to be doing with their long-term plans for all their video services. Bottom line is that I wouldn't expect to see a new FiOS STB soon.

GilSan and tazzmission like this.
  11. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    And some point you have to choose, use a Tivo and have an appliance that records TV, or go the hobby route and the time sink that goes with it. I like the turnkey approach, time is limited and many things compete for it.

aristoBrat and slowbiscuit like this.
  12. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The other thing to consider is other members of the household. If you are a bachelor tinkerer, there will be different options open to you over someone with a spouse or children that prefer ease of use.

aristoBrat likes this.
  13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    How does the combo work with premium channels?

14. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Premium channels typically are DRM-protected. Some devices, such as XBox One, can access those channels in conjunction with the HDHomeRun Prime CardCARD tuner. But it looks like Apple TV running the Channels app cannot.
    Channels — Frequently Asked Questions

Not that big of a deal, IMO, since you can just use the HBO Go, Showtime Anytime and Starz apps on Apple TV (probably with better HD PQ than you'd get from the cable channels anyhow).

15. Imageek2

Imageek2 Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Riverside, CA
    I am recording OTA channels only so I can't say.

krkaufman likes this.
  16. Imageek2

Imageek2 Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Riverside, CA
    I agree with this 100%.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm not at the point of jumping ship. But the Rovi thing has definitely sucked big time. I'm rather sick and tired of having to babysit my shows/Passes, and the guide.

One thing that's a bit irksome for me is that they (again!) with the 7.4 update took away the ability to be watching something semi-live and allow it to continue when it changes the channel for a recording. Did that make sense?

Say I'm watching a show that runs from 6 to 7. I'm semi-live, of course, so maybe I'm somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes back. The Tivo needs to use that tuner to change the channel at 7:00. Before, except for that one other time this happened, it would not pull me out of the previous hour and I could watch the show until it ended. But now, when it changes the channel you lose that buffer entirely. Fine, I can live with it, but it still pisses me off. Since I have Tivos with more tuners this won't come up as often (and now I know to protect) as it did when they did that back when I had Premieres with only 2 tuners. Hopefully, again, they will fix it back.

kpeters59 likes this.
  18. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    I dunno how to link from Tapatalk but if you check my reply history you'll find the thread, but there's a big thread about this bug and TiVo/Rovi are aware of it and plan to fix it. Eventually. Taking them forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharkster likes this.
  19. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Oh good! Thanks for that info. :)

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    May I?
    I have one Roamio that never has to change channels to start a recording, and one that seldom needs to change channels. Out of eight tuners, I can pretty well control what happens, even to the point of controlling what channel my Mini gets. But if you would like to stop the channel changing, please let me suggest: preset the tuners. I do it frequently, but seldom every day. Would you like to try my method?