Time required to transfer programs

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by copwriter, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Aug 4, 2018 #1 of 53
    copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I just acquired a 3 TB Bolt, upgrading from a Premiere. After doing the device setup, I went online and ordered the programs from my Premiere transferred to the Bolt. Both devices are connected over Wi-Fi, so I expect the process will require several days. However, after about three hours, the Bolt hard drive still shows 0% full. How can I tell if the program transfer is going through?

Thinking/hoping that my OnePass settings will transfer with the programs (will they?), I don't want to pull my CableCard from the Premiere until the Bolt is ready to go on its own.

2. Aug 4, 2018 #2 of 53
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can move the cable card over, because its not tied to the shows recorded.

Is there a blue light on? That is the transfer indicator.

3. Aug 4, 2018 #3 of 53
    copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    There is a red and a green light showing on the Bolt. No blue light.
    If the transfer process isn't happening, how do I start it?

4. Aug 4, 2018 #4 of 53
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Some thing(s) to check.
    There must be a Media Access Key (MAK) provided by your Tivo.com account, which matches the other Tivos.

Tivo.com account, DVR Preferences, Checked boxes for Sharing, transfers.
    All the boxes must have connected to the Tivo service since the new device was added to your network, tivo.com account.
    All Tivo device must have Tivo service subscriptions.

5. Aug 4, 2018 #5 of 53
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I’m connected over Ethernet and am finding it takes about 1 day for every 1TB of data to transfer. I’m over one day into a back and forth transfer of almost 3TB that I estimate will take almost 3 days to transfer each way. (I’m using a new Bolt to take the opportunity to replace a weird hard drive on a Roamio that may have bad sectors.)

6. Aug 4, 2018 #6 of 53
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What router? Is there IGMP?

7. Aug 4, 2018 #7 of 53
    copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I couldn't find a setting for video transfers, but video sharing and downloads are checked for both devices. The MAK shows in my online TiVo account, and I bought the Bolt direct from TiVo. It appeared to be activated already. Both devices are on the same account, and they both have lifetime service (the Premiere until next month).

Edit: The MAK appears in the Account and System Info screen on the Bolt. It was already entered.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  8. Aug 4, 2018 #8 of 53
    tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Running a MoCA connection between two Bolts, Tivo is reporting transfer rates of about 275 Mb/s. That's about 8 hours for a TB of data.

9. Aug 4, 2018 #9 of 53
    copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm doing this over Wi-Fi, so I'll be lucky to get half that rate. My system information screen shows I have 250 HD or 2,179 hours of recordings to transfer. I'm not sure what that translates to in terms of file size. I think the Premiere has 1 TB of internal drive space plus a 1 TB expander drive.

10. copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    It's a Netgear Nighthawk R7900P router. I'm not sure on the IGMP issue.

11. copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I don't know how to set up a MoCA connection between the two devices. Is there a tutorial someplace?

Edited: I found some online info on this, but I don't think this is an option for a one-time transfer.

12. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    With as much as my Spectrum cable compresses stuff that would be about 1.1-1.2 TB. I’m wondering now if the expander drive has something to do with your problem initiating transfer. Can you try transferring one or two shows manually to see if that works, leaving TIVo Online out of it? (From the Bolt go to My Shows->Devices->Premiere (or whatever the network calls it)->the show to transfer->Transfer this recording.) If it works I know it’s a pain but I’d just keep transferring everything manually.

13. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    The transfer light on a Bolt is yellow, not blue.

careys likes this.
  14. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    I don’t think the premiere supportted moca so you would need an adapter. But you can use the data rate and time as a reference point for how long the transfer would take.

Is it possible to relocate one and use wired Ethernet with a switch or router for the transfer? I thought the premiere wireless dongles were b/g so they won’t be very fast.

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Stop guessing. On the Premiere, go to Settings, Network, View Network Diagnostics, View Transfer History, Item 4. It shows the bit rate of the last successful transfer. On the Bolt, the transfer jobs are in the To Do List like any other program. It would be good to wire that Premiere to the router temporarily. You will be lucky to get 60Mbps. That's about 15 minutes for 1 hour of HD programming. I use TiVo Online to move items to my Hydra Roamio. There is no Transfer History screen on Hydra.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  16. copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    On the Transfer History screen you described, the entries are "None" for all categories, as there haven't been any successful transfers as yet.

17. copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I don't see "Transfer this recording" as an option for any of the shows listed. I've got "Delete," "Play" and "Keep".

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A TiVo that is running Hydra does not have a transfer ability. If you are trying to get programs from a non-Hydra TiVo, use TiVo Online.

19. copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    When I came out this morning to see what progress might have been made overnight, I saw some new shenanigans. The Bolt was not seeing the Premiere at all. It showed no other devices with programming. Checking the network diagnostics on the Premiere revealed that the Premiere was trying to access the network via IP address 192.168.1.13, but the router showed no device using that IP. I reset the network adapter on the Premiere, which caused it to acquire a new IP address, and the Bolt could see it again.
    I can play programs recorded on the Premiere on the Bolt, but I don't see any option to transfer them to the Bolt on the Bolt menus.
    One minor point of progress: I went back to TiVo Online and tried transferring a single program, rather than trying to transfer them all in bulk. Within ten seconds, the yellow light appeared on the Bolt, indicating the program was transferring. Is this going to be the only viable solution?

20. copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Sorry to be so ignorant, but I'm not sure what "Hydra" is. Is that a version of the TiVo OS?