1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER) good for Tivo upgrade drive ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by jlin, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    Should the upgrade drive for Tivo have Time Limited Error Recovery (TLER) enabled or disabled?

I'm thinking about putting in a Western Digital 10TB drive WD100EZAZ (shucked from My Book external) into my Tivo Roamio, which has TLER disabled.

Previously I had success with WD Red Drives, which has TLER enabled.

For more info on TLER, see Should You Use TLER Drives In Your RAID NAS? - SmallNetBuilder

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    8TB is the max you can use in a Roamio after its had MSFR used on it.
    Recommended is WD Red drives as it uses less power and produce less heat than any other drives. Previously Green AV drives work after some settings were disabled. Sadly, these drives aren't made any more. Any Green drives being sold now are old, out of warranty and seriously overpriced.

3. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    Has anyone actually confirmed that 10TB does NOT work with MSFR? I was going to try it myself this weekend.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I don't know if it will fail with an error message or just crash & burn, but it won't format a 10TB drive properly. I have some ideas for a future version that should break the 8TB limit, but I haven't written anything yet.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    I scored a few 10TB WD drives for around $130 with tax. Was hoping that they would work on the Roamio. I guess they would just be used on my desktops.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Get a multiple bay NAS enclosure and put all those drives in it. You can store shows from Tivo on it, PyTivo to send back to Tivo when you want to watch.

[​IMG]
    For example.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  7. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Drives work with TLER enabled or disabled. The discussion a while back was more failing drives with or without TLER enabled and what impact that would have in a TiVo.

What ggeseike said about MFSR. I planned to test it and get back to him but have not had the time yet.

What size drives do you have currently in your Roamio. It is possible to get your Roamio up to 10 TB. Currently you have to hex edit the drive in a couple of places. Working on something that would do the hex editing automatically. PM me if you are interested.