Time limit on recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by esl1885, Jul 28, 2016.

1. esl1885

esl1885 New Member

Jul 28, 2016

Advertisements

Is there a time limit in how long you can keep recordings on Tivo? I have ample room on my hard drive, settings set to keep recordings until I delete, keep all, and yet I discovered today that some of my recordings are set to delete within 24 hours. Have I missed something? I have a Roamio Basic if that matters.

Thanks, Sam

2. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    No. The yellow circle with an exclamation point does not get updated properly while the TiVo is running. If you reboot your TiVo, that will reset all of them.

3. esl1885

esl1885 New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    If I don't reboot, will they delete? Or do I have to reboot to prevent deletion?

4. chiguy50

chiguy50 U.S. Army (ret.)

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Keep until I delete (KUID) means just that. In the absence of some system anomaly (or hardware failure), recordings marked as KUID should remain accessible on your TiVo's hard drive indefinitely until you delete them or until the drive approaches storage capacity (including room for scheduled recordings).

I have around 100 HD movies recorded on my Premiere Elite's 2TB HDD, which is still only at about 44% capacity. Some of them were recorded years ago, and we just might get around to watching them before we shuffle off this mortal coil.:rolleyes:

Also, remember that if a recording is deleted unintentionally, you can usually recover it unless it has since been overwritten (My Shows > Recently Deleted Recordings > [Select recording] > Recover This Show).

5. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

Even recordings set to Keep Until Space Needed will persist until the TiVo'd drive gets full.

I don't think I've got more than a handful of shows marked KUID but I've got episodes and movies, set to the default keep until space needed, that have lived for years on my TiVo. (Yeah, I'm behind on watching a few things).

Now if you've got a keep at most limit set that will delete shows long before the hard drive fills up; but otherwise with a non-full drive don't worry too much about the color indicators. (Unless you've scheduled 40+ hours a day of recordings for the Olympics - that'll run you out of space and start it deleting things real quick :D)

6. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    They will not delete. Reboot just updates the yellow circles which should all turn blue after a reboot.

I'm recording some NCIS marathons. I reboot just to keep the flags up-to-date so the TiVo does not delete anything unexpectedly.

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    TiVos will not delete recordings unexpectedly. My TiVos are on UPS systems and only reboot during software updates. I have never had any TiVo delete a recording when it wasn't suppose to.

8. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    You missed my points. I'm not paying attention to how many hours of NCIS marathons are scheduled. That could cause some older programs to delete unexpectedly. And my other point is that the flags are incorrect when you leave the TiVo running without a reboot, the issue the OP brought up. My answer to the OP's question will TiVo delete these recordings was no.

9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I've got a KUID recording on an old lifetimed S2 of when my daughter's kindergarten class was on the local news. She's now 16 and starting her junior year of HS.

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    What model TiVo and what software version are you talking about. I've owned TiVos since 2003 and I've never once seen the issue you're talking about, nor needed to reboot a TiVo in order to make recordings properly show as KUID.

11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Yellow circle (with or without !) means they will not be deleted until there is a need for the space.
    There is an exception, if there is a copy protection CCI byte where it will be deleted after a set number of days from when it was recorded or when it was started being watched.

12. esl1885

esl1885 New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Thanks for all the replies. Rebooted and everything is back to normal

13. chicagobrownblue

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    OP is not talking about Keep Until I Delete, read above. Right?

He is talking about yellow circle with exclamation point that means may be deleted in 24 hours. These are not updated unless you reboot. Right?

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    He specifically says that he has his settings set to KUID. I have no idea what you're talking about with rebooting. I've never once had a reason to intentionally reboot my TiVo. It happens when software gets upgraded, or when I have to move the unit or something. But rebooting in order to get something on the TiVo to work properly is not a thing.