Thrilled to see "New Girl" premiere!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RMBittner, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1 of 91
    RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    I haven't watched the episode yet, but I was very happy to see TiVo giving me the chance to see the first episode of Zooey Deschanel's "New Girl" comedy. I love Zooey, and the previews convinced me this is one I want to watch.

I forget what TiVo calls those "starred" features on the main home screen, but that's where this is showing up. I assumed it was going to be a commercial, but it's actually the complete first episode.

Bob

2. Sep 4, 2011 #2 of 91
    lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    It's also on Xfinity ondemand, as it turns out (although only in SD)

3. Sep 4, 2011 #3 of 91
    RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Well, it's SD on TiVo too; at least, ours was. And it was really bad SD, with terrible sound and waves through the picture. Don't know why they couldn't have pushed an HD-quality promo -- or was the TiVo actually streaming this?

That said, I really enjoyed the show. But I'll watch it again when it actually airs, just so I can hear some of the dialogue that was inaudible over the hiss of the promo's poor audio quality.

Bob

4. Sep 4, 2011 #4 of 91
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I watched this last night and wondered where I had seen this combination before of a woman as the central character, her gorgeous female friend, and three guys (including one African-American) with which she has primarily platonic relationships.

Oh yes. It's called "Friends With Benefits," and NBC is burning off the episodes right now. :D

As for New Girl, it was OK. Not sure if I'll give it a Season Pass, as I'm not big on sitcoms these days.

5. Sep 4, 2011 #5 of 91
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Is that the one with Ryan Reynolds junior, Winona Ryder junior, Halle Berry junior, D.L. Hughley junior, and Owen Wilson junior?

6. Sep 4, 2011 #6 of 91
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    That's the one! Watching the latest episodes now. Right now
    Ryan Reynolds Jr. is sleeping with "older woman" Paula Marshall. When did Paula Marshall become old enough to be cast as a mom with a 20-something daughter?!

7. Sep 5, 2011 #7 of 91
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    OMG! Bob! I didn't know you were on this forum! But then, I can see you haven't posted much... ;) And checking out your past posts, I've obviously read a bunch of them...and can't believe I never made the connection.

Different areas of my life crossing is strange...

(<--- It's Jen.)

8. Sep 5, 2011 #8 of 91
    lambertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Right now, I really don't like the two male characters that stick around. Actually, I didn't like Coach either so I'm glad DWJr is going back to Happy Endings.

Zooey is....adorable and such and didn't go overboard on the twee. The writers are going to have to resist pushing her farther.

9. Sep 5, 2011 #9 of 91
    Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Hope you're wrong cause 'Friends With Benefits' is a mindless humpfest and New Girl should be better than that.

10. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Here is my criteria for sitcoms. It has to make me laugh enough. New Girl did. The girl is excentric causing roommate problems for the men. The men are sweet to her by the end of the episode so the characters are likeable. I loved the D-bag tip jar.

11. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    its out in 720p for those who DL the stuffs. Definitely going to SP this show as Zooey is too fricken adorable. They did a good job of fleshing her character out in the pilot but the guys were cutouts, hope they do better by them in the coming episodes.

12. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    I just watched the pilot episode. I found it quite enjoyable, though they really, really pushed her, to quote the term coined by a writer on avclub.com, "manic pixie dream girl" persona to the nth degree and then some and I say that as a big, big Zooey Deschanel fan (ever since I saw her in director David Gordon Green's 2003 masterpiece All The Real Girls) and a huge fan of the aforementioned archetype.

All that said, she's utterly charming in the pilot, the dialogue had some wit to it, and I liked the rapport between the roommates. I'll definitely keep watching.

13. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Hey, Jen! Great to see you here!

And, um, yeah: compared to you, I guess I haven't posted much. (Sheesh!;))

14. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Too busy looking at Sofia Vergara during "Big Trouble" (2002)? Well, I don't blame you. (I of course didn't fully become aware of the existence of Zooey Deschanel until "Elf.")

15. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    The pilot is available on iTunes for free.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    There are supposedly 2 more episodes on this Friday (at least according to epguides.com), but they aren't showing locally, due to baseball IIRC.

17. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    She's also great fun in "Failure to Launch," a kind of wacky movie that I think got undeservedly dismissed when it came out. There are some laugh-out-loud funny moments here. And how can you not be entertained by a movie that gives you not only Zooey Deschanel but also Terry Bradshaw's naked butt?;)

18. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I downloaded it last night. Probably give it a watch tonight.

19. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Watched it last night and thought it was decent. I'll give it a few episodes to see if keeps my attention. Something about Zooey that I just can't resist.

20. lambertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Those have to be #s 1 and 2 in some order in everybody's list.