Three Tivo Premieres hang for a while with solid yellow light, then reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by lburghermt, Apr 1, 2019.

1. lburghermt

lburghermt New Member

May 24, 2006
    I have three Tivo Premieres, all several years old but purchased at different times so they are different ages. None have been modified or had their drives upgraded. All work fine and none have any of the common signs of hard drive failure like "stuttering" during playback.

Several months ago, all three "hung" (audio/video froze or went black, they were non-responsive to the remote, and the yellow lights came on solid). This happened to all three AT THE SAME TIME, possibly at the very same instant, or no more than a few seconds apart. After being puzzled for a few minutes, I removed and reapplied power to all of them, and all started normally. The same thing happened about a month later.

Since then, the "hangs" have gradually become more frequent (weekly, even daily, but I don't think more than once per day [yet]). Sometimes, only two had the solid yellow light but all three were hung. I also ping them and try to access their port 80 interface to verify they are non-responsive to the network. Sometimes, I would wait a long time (several minutes to a few hours) to unplug them, but it seemed the problem never corrected itself, so I always ended up repowering them.

But in the past week or two, all three automatically reboot themselves shortly after the hang. The two with the solid yellow light seem to hang and reboot at the same time (perhaps seconds apart), while the third one without the solid yellow light reboots usually a couple minutes before the others, but occasionally after the others.

I find it hard to believe that all three units are experiencing the same hardware failure. It seems much more likely that this is a firmware, software, or possibly a network issue. I recently disabled all the external accounts (VUDU, Yahoo, Netflix, Pandora, etc), and disabled the "Network Remote Control feature" thinking there may be an external influence. There were no problems for a few days, making me think this had helped, but the problems are back to daily now.

Any ideas? Termites? Aliens?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try putting them on a UPS.

3. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you certainly want to check voltage coming into your house might be high, can also make clothes dryer trip its breaker.

4. lburghermt

lburghermt New Member

May 24, 2006
    All three are each on their own UPS, and the incoming power is very stable. I also have several computers on multiple UPS's, including a live 24/7 web server with a UPS that keeps historical records of power quality. Power fluctuations are rare, and only occur during high winds, and the TIVO failures don't correlate.

5. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Try taking one of them off the UPS.

6. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    All three TiVo's at the same time ... EMS testing? I know the EMS test can seem to hang the TiVo. EMS testing does seem to increase during the bad weather season. Can you check when EMS test are done in your area. Just a thought!

But you shouldn't get a black screen or solid yellow light on the front panel from a EMS test... Must be something else.

7. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    No one answered me, from my post, but something similar on a Premiere.

Steady yellow light, frozen screen, audio only

Steady yellow light. Audio only. Hanging. Non responsive. Had to unplug to get it to work.

One Premiere acted up. No other TiVo in system was affected. Only has happened once so far.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  8. lburghermt

lburghermt New Member

May 24, 2006
    Thanks for the ideas...

EMS Testing only occurs once a month (first Friday I think), and those alerts come through on the TIVO's as expected (switches to live TV if watching a recording, and shows the alert). I also have a separate Weather Radio which sounds a ridiculous alarm that's impossible to miss, and there is no correlation.

Regarding taking one off the UPS, I want to be clear, there are three UPS's, one per TIVO. But accepting the idea somewhat, I just placed the "odd" TIVO (the one whose symptoms are slightly different from the other two) onto the same UPS as one of the other two, and now I'll have to wait for the next failure to see if there is a change.