Threads while watching live

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by justapixel, Jan 16, 2006.

Would you like to have seperate "official" and "live" threads?

1. Yes, the live discussion in the official thread is annoying

25 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. No, I don't really care.

80 vote(s)
    76.2%
  1. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    I want to get some input from people about this topic.

One of the rules in the TV Talk area is not to start a thread more than one hour before the show airs. This is to prevent people from having to wade through pages of speculation and conversation about last weeks show to get to the topic of the new show.

I, and others, have noticed that people are posting and watching during the show IN the official thread for that show. That means, that yes, people have to wade through pages and pages of nonsence comments to get to the discussion of the show.

The new 24 thread is a good example of that.

Here is what I mean (and I am making this up, this is not related to 24)

Post 1.
    "Wow, look at that dress."
    Post 2.
    "When did Leah Ramini get fat?"
    Post 3.
    "What was that?"
    Post 4.
    "I think I saw a flash, but I'm not sure."

For people who watch the show later, and want to discuss the meat of the show, it's annoying to have to wade through all these comments to get to the point where the discussion begins.

So, we are thinking of requesting that we have an "official" thread, the way we've always done it, and a "Watch Live" thread.

There will be no rule made yet, and maybe never. I would like to get the input of the users first.

So, what do you think?

2. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Too many rules, lets just talk about TV.

3. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Yeah, I agree. If people want to get to the meat of the discussion, they can always skip to the timestamped post that comes after the show ends. It's fun to watch and discuss sometimes. :)

4. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    I voted no, but I do care. I think all the discussion about a show should be in one thread. Otherwise there could be valuable insights in the live thread that do not get brought into the discussion thread or get duplicated, with references that say "hey look what I said over here." Unless somehow the live thread could be locked automatically or heavily policed, it just seems to make more sense to have one thread. I have no problem scanning past that stuff personally.

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's rare enough to not care about -- and it really only happens to the extreme in the threads of hugely popular shows like Lost or 24 -- which themselves will be huge threads to wade through anyway.

And while the comments you quoted border on the "I just want a reason to be posting in this thread" or "I needed an excuse to be the thread starter for this episode," just as often are the same comments that would've been made after the show was over, anyway -- someone just made them earlier.

6. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    That is EXACTLY what I did in the 24 thread. I just skipped down to the posts that had been started after the show had actually aired. I don't think there is any reason to make a rule/law even if I think it's silly to post comments while the show is airing ;)

7. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    No. But I wasn't aware of the "one hour before" rule and REALLY wish that it would be enforced. I hate seeing a thread two days before hand that appears to be someone wanting to be the one to start a thread on a given episode.

8. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I think that, for some of the more popular shows (Lost, TAR, etc.), a live thread may not be a bad idea, but it's not necessary for the majority of them.

9. SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    What she said! :)
    I enjoy going back to read the other 'live' thoughts of people, particularly when it was an especially exciting episode.

10. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    6 month dead thread bumps bug me more.
    <cough>If you could have ONLY 10 cable channels, what would they be? </cough>

11. cancermatt

cancermatt No Pop Culture Here.

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...
    Threads posted a week, a day, 12 hours, 6 hrs early -- get rid of, or delete these posts, since the original posters only want to be the ones to claim they started the popular threads

Threads posted live -- let them be.

I voted let live posters be. Sometimes you can't conceal emotion that needs to be posted :)

Especially during Lost, 24 and Survivor! :)

12. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Well, I sometimes are bothered by it, but this is a TiVo forum after all and some people do keep a whole season on their drive and watch in the summer so I try to give them some slack.

13. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    Even <cough>If you could have ONLY 10 cable channels, what would they be? </cough> ?

14. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'd love to see anyone who just posts a "bump" on such an otherwise long-gone thread be banned for a month. :)

15. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX

First let me apologize for breaking the rule about posting. I have been a longtime member of this forum, but haven't posted for a while.

That said, starting a thread more than an hour before the show, is no worse thant going WAY off topic about footbal and padding of the event!! ;)

Once, again, sorry for breaking the rule. :p

And for the record, I only started a thread because 24 is my only MUST WATCH show and last nights episodes was full of action (especially the first 15 minutes or so).

16. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    Or possibly people get tired of starting a new thread only to have the 1st 4 responses be: "This has been covered, click here ..... (insert link to 6-month old thread.)" without ever getting a response to their thought or question.

17. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just as an alternative to posting your thoughts live,
    when I was watching Enterprise, I would jot down my thoughts as I watched them then post them in one post.

18. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Just look for the first timestamp after the show ends if you dont want to read in-show comments. It's easy.

19. 4inziksych

4inziksych New Member

Feb 28, 2003
    They annoy me sometimes, but I agree about the too many rules things, and who the heck can keep track of all of that? Obviously the ones in place are not always followed as it is.

People should be a little less hostile about pointing out smeeking though as a compromise because sometimes all those annoying posts can make your eyes glaze over and you might miss the fact that someone beat you to a post.

I hope the fact that you are posting this question means that your eye, your head and your back (did I forget anything?) are all feeling better!

20. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm totally in favor of not starting threads hours before their airtime.

However, I generally like the live discussion. Not for every show, but they make the "event" shows more fun. That said a reasonable arguement could be made that that would better occur in a chatroom rather than a discussion board. As you say 4 pages of "whoah look at that" is rather meaningless.

The idea of a "live" thread and a post show discussion thread sounds like there would be too much confusion and duplicated discussion. plus who would lock the live threads to prevent continued discussion after each show.