THR 22 External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Tucker2, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Tucker2

Tucker2 New Member

Dec 6, 2006

Advertisements

My THR 22 hard drive is failing so replacing it with the WD 2T drive is one option I'm considering. I'm struggling with just dumping the TiVo box and going over to the dark side and getting DirecTV's DVR. I've always had TiVo's since about 1996 and have a stack of used ones in the basement to prove it. The interest and support for them seems to be almost non-existent as a quick look at the forum for DirecTV TiVo on this site shows. Almost zero current posts!

Anyway, my question for now is, if I replace the drive, can I use the old drive as external to view the shows recorded on it or will the DVR format this drive as I understand it will for the new internal drive? If it formats the drive and I loose the programs on it, that might make my decision easier to just cave in and get DirecTV's stuff. I just don't like their format as I've played around with it at other peoples houses that have their boxes.

I learn the stuff needed for the current time or crisis with dealing with DirecTV & TiVo (InstantCake, hard drive swaps, power supplies, capacitor replacement, etc.) but then sometimes years go by without any problems. Now it seems I need to learn new stuff again. Can someone enlighten me about dual buffers with DirecTV DVR's? I think I understand that there is a workaround to make their boxes do this but I might be confused. Can a DirecTV box have dual buffers and will they be active all the time like the TiVo box? I guess except for the buffers, I will hate to give up TiVo's friendly menu's and interface if I decide to switch. I have no other option besides satellite TV and hi speed internet is not viable in my rural location. Whole-Home DVR service would not be of interest unless it was not charged at more than I pay now.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You could place the old drive in an eSATA enclosure and attach it as external. As long as the THR22 believes that it has a valid image it won't reformat it. If it can access the recordings they will play. While the external drive is connected, the internal drive will be inaccessible.

I have both the THR22 and the HR44. I agree that the THR22 is an orphan and probably not worth further investment.

The DirecTV boxes have dual buffers but they are not always active. If you get a "Genie" DVR you will be charged $3 for whole-home service whether you use it or not. Note that the Genies have five tuners, which can be very handy.

3. Tucker2

Tucker2 New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    Thanks Steve. Maybe I'll just retire the THR 22 and see what kind of deal DirecTV will give me for being a long time customer. I assume I can play what is stored on the THR 22 after it is deactivated. Then it will just go on the pile with the other obsolete TiVo tuners and DVR's.

John

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I'm not sure you can play after deactivation. Try this - disconnect the satellite and network cables and see if you can still play recordings. Then be sure to disconnect before removing the THR22 from your account.

5. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010

Advertisements

I can confirm that it will still play after deactivation. I did as Steve is recommending. (Removed the cable and ethernet connections before the box was deactivated). Three months later I can still play the recordings

6. jimluschen

jimluschen New Member

Jun 22, 2011
    san diego
    I was wondering if anyone had tried putting a solid state drive into their DirecTivo. Also, what is the size of the HDD that is inside the THR-22?

I guess I could break the seal and open it to find out myself...