1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THR-22 Compatible with DSWM LNBs? Considering replacing HR-24

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cp2k, Dec 5, 2017.

1. cp2k

cp2k Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Can anyone tell me if the THR-22 is compatiable with the newer DirecTV 13 (or 22) tuner DSWM LNBs, or the Reverse Band LNBs?

It appears my HR24 is finally about to kick the bucket. I'm strongly considering replacing it with a THR-22 since I like the additional features my standalone TiVos offer. We already have a Genie as well, but I need more than five tuners and I'm not crazy about the Genie's interface.

What would you do in this situation?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If you like the additional features of your standalone TiVos, you won't like the THR-22 which lacks almost all of them. It's essentially a "Series 2" TiVo. I'll note that DirecTV is rolling out a new UI for the Genies, though it has not come to mine yet. While I like the TiVo UI better, I would not want to give up the features of the Genie. (I have both a THR-22 and an HR44.)

3. cp2k

cp2k Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Well I will still have the Genie. The main feature I want from the THR-22 is the flexibility that the wishlists offer from TiVo. That is something I use a lot that the Genie simply can’t duplicate.

4. punkmfr

punkmfr New Member

Thursday
    I currently have setup (2) DTV THR22 Tivo Units w/ Slimline-3 (SWM13LNB) they work just fine.
    This is in conjunction w/Genie and 1 clients.

THR22 work fine w/SWM single input wire. Does read Wireless Internet Connection (from Genie HR54) - No adapter or splitter connected just straight coax from splitter at dish.
    VOD On demand took a day to update but works fully 100% no problem. There have been complaints otherwise on VOD, but on my unit its fine.

The new GENIE GUI update is BEYOND the worst EVER in history with ANY unit I have ever used prior.
    My entire family literally was screaming to such degree that the GENIE had to go. It truly is one of the most poor thought out designs with an interface that fails on every level possible.

Notify DTV and let them know your dissatisfaction. They courtesy shipped (2) new THR22 (Free/No Upgrade on Contract) and I couldnt be happier.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:04 PM
  5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I’m curious what you’re looking for in wishlists that the Genie can’t do. I haven’t yet been updated to the new Genie UI - the general opinion is not positive. I don’t mind the current UI, though it is a bit clumsy in places.

6. cp2k

cp2k Member

Mar 15, 2004
    I do the bulk of my recording with TiVo's wishlist feature. For example, this time of year I have a wishlist for the category movies, and as optional keywords I have listed the titles of Christmas movies I want it to record as they air. That way I don't have to remember to search the guide or listings for them. I have a similar wish list of movies that have not been on in many months (or ever) that I would like to record. If one airs at any point in time the TiVo automatically records it. I do the same with sports. I have a wish list for the title keyword College Football, and then optional keywords are the teams I want to follow or record. The Genie simply can't do this as efficiently as the TiVo can, and in some cases can't do it correctly at all.

Again in my case I"m not replacing the Genie- I already have one. I just want to replace the HR24 I already have, and if I'm going to be using an older box anyway I might as well have the TiVo capabilities is the way I look at it.