Thoughts on Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by gelbers, Jan 18, 2012.

1. gelbers

gelbers New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    So after reading a bunch of posts I thought I would add one more to the mix. Currently I run 2 series 3 and 2 TIVOHD in my house with FIOS and also run DirecTV. Yesterday I upgraded to the DTV HR34, which has 5 tuners (though you can really only use 3). I am now thinking I want to upgrade my series 3 TIVO's but after reading all the posts about the Premires and the Elite's I am not sure I should do it. Here are my questions..

1. Out of the box, does the Elite MRS or does it only MRV? I have the "whole home DVR" feature with DTV and would want to replicate that with TIVO.

2. Assuming MRS does work, will it only work between TIVO Premires or will it work with series 3 as well? HD?

3. Is there any additional functionality in the remote for the Elite? I assume the answer is no, but I would prefer to know cause I dont want to have to call my IT guy out to reprogram my universal remotes. Hoping the current coding would work.

4. Can i just swap my multi cards out of my tivo's and put them into the new devices or do I need to have Verizon come out...do i even need to call them?

5. Is TIVO planning on improving the transfer process to external devices. I run all Macs at my house and have ipods, etc. and find the process through TIVO2GO via TOAST to be terrible. The DTV Nomad is a far superior solution for me.

Lastly, any comments on whether people think it is worth it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    1) Once the box updates to 20.x it will do MRS. I believe the final rollout is expected by the end of the week.
    2) It only works with Premiere units (Elite and the normal Premiere).
    3) The Premiere's do have the 4 color coded buttons that are not available on the pre S4 units.
    4) Most FIOS users can just swap their cards since they don't generally pair them to the box. However, if it doesn't work, you can fix it over the phone.
    5) I think TiVoToGo in it's current form is dead at this point. They are planning on introducing a new addon that let's you stream to iPads and other devices. I believe their focus is on this and not transferring since more and more transfer is disabled by the cable companies.

3. wmhjr

wmhjr Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    I can give at least my perspective, but clearly YMMV. This only applies to some of your questions.

1) No MRS that I'm aware of. Same "transfer" between Tivo units, except possibly from my understanding if it's strictly between Premiere units. Clearly no "streaming" between Premiere and non-Premiere units.

2) The remote is the remote. Nothing extra that I've seen.

3) My guess is you'll need to reprovision the cablecards? Aren't the host ID from the Tivo married to the cablecard sn? With Verizon I have no idea as their processes are just plain awful - though their technology is very very strong.

4. gelbers

gelbers New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Do the 4 color coded buttons have material function? Are the remotes RF?

5. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    So far I haven't heard of anybody on FIOS who's had to call Verizon for reprovisioning -just take the cable card out of the series3 and plug it into the Premiere and it should work. At least it was that way for me when I upgraded.

6. wmhjr

wmhjr Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    That's good to know, but interesting. If that is the case, then why does verizon need the host ID from your Tivo to provision the cablecard to begin with? I'm not disputing what you're saying - just trying to understand it. I was of the impression that authentication was tied to the host id bound to the cablecard SN, and that most likely in the providers authentication framework there was a hashing of those values.

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It is entered into their system but afaik they don't use it except in a few places in the US. FIOS is probably the only provider that doesn't pair cards to the device. Some people on other cable systems have had success moving without repairing but generally that is because they don't receive premiums so they just don't notice (a certain subset of channels are usually available as long as the card is initialized).

8. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The peanut remotes that are included are not RF, but you can get a Slide which uses Bluetooth.

9. sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston
    I have FIOS. I just switched from a series 3 to two premieres. I transferred my 2 mcards from the series 3 to the two premieres.

They absolutely needed to be repaired.

I spent an hour on the phone with FIOS, but they worked it out and got my boxes online.

10. ilkevinli

ilkevinli Member

Jan 6, 2001
    NYC
    I transferred my Cable card from a Premiere to an elite without calling Verizon. The cards are not paired. It make take a few minutes for the channels to populate though.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Can you explain how/why "you can really only use 3"? I'm not intending on ever going to DirecTV, I'm just curious.

AFAIK, Toast doesn't even let you download the RAW recording and edit it.. I think it does a download+convert all in one step.

Use third party software. There are several, such as kmttg (Java, so kind of a funky/weird UI, but the developer has added features at my request) and iTivo.. kmttg is far better.

You can also use third party software, like pyTivo, to upload things back TO your Tivo from the TiVo interface. (One of my hard drives went bad, so I went back to the orig tiny drive.. I'm waiting for drive prices to fall back down again, so am doing a lot of download-to-external-drive and then send back to TiVo to watch)

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    +1

13. Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    Particularly post 20.2 update, the color-coded buttons are more often used as shortcuts in menus. I think it might be the ONLY way to access Guide settings now.

14. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I'm not sold on the new an improced Tivo, due to the price which is unsane, that know issues that have plagued the S# an S$ models an Tivo inability to resolve these issues within a timely manner...

cheaper to buy two S$'s an fe;get;bout tit

15. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Unregistered User

Mar 1, 2008
    Newport...
    You can do it yourself with in home agent.